sweetest thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astepcloser24

The Fly
I was wondering about the Sweetest Thing. The story goes that Bono forgot Ali's birthday or something along those lines and the song is about how he's sorry. However, if you're sorry that you missed your loved one's birthday, would you write lyrics that go, "I'm losing you, I'm losing you..."? Maybe there was some marital strife going on at the time? J/W...

It is known they have had a few bust-ups; best example of this is Whose gonna Ride your wild horses. But yes he was in the middle of the desert for the phot shoots of The Joshua Tree...which is the reason why he looks so moody on the album cover.

I get the feeling that the song was written first then it was dedicated to her

similar to stuck in a moment - michael hutchence.

Rather than the song was written with her specifically in mind.

astepcloser24 said:
However, if you're sorry that you missed your loved one's birthday, would you write lyrics that go, "I'm losing you, I'm losing you..."? Maybe there was some marital strife going on at the time? J/W...

Well if you screwed up and you were half a world away, I think there would be a sense of "I'm losing you".

I suppose you're right, Double. However, I would think if it was meant as a birthday song, he would write how he loved her. But then again, Bono often has multiple meanings within one song, so it is quite possible we're both on the right track.

'Blue eyed boy meets a brown-eyed girl'
Bono & Ali
'She won't catch me or break my fall'
Probably describing Ali's fierce independence and how she's never roped her husband's constant showmanship

wgrywh isnt about ali, btw. bono says its about another girl he dated while he was on a break from ali, way back in high school... the 'saltwater kisses' he refers to are hers... use your imagination here;)

Back
Top Bottom