Stateless lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soulwindnotbono

Babyface
Stateless,
A song only U2 could make and have fans listen to it over and over. Stateless, a
depressing and mellow tune. Adam's bass, five piano keys, and the edge/eno team who
produce magical sounds once again. There are obvious reasons why the track was left off All That You Can't Leave Behind. It is a story of despair, lonliness, and hopelessness best fit for Bono's project the Million Dollar Hotel (move/soundtrack). Also, songs like Stateless were not going to dominate the generally upbeat and hopeful ATYCLB.
My criticism of the song lies with Bono's treatment of the lyrics. I'm only particularly critical of the end of the song, which is the best part! The song flows well, but when Bono breaks out into "pushin down on me, push, your weight down," I don't understand why he doesn't come out with the word "Lord!" That word, "Lord"--you want to just throw it in there. It sounds like it fits, like he's mumbling:
Your weight, Lord,
When your weight falls down on me....
The word completes the song!
The voice repression is consistent throughout the tune and it is fitting. He's singing like he's lost his zest to sing. "...hmm Stateless, ohhh oh what's the difference?" (It's amazing how Bono's lyrics lie right in the lap of the music the band performs.) But for a moment, just a moment at the end, Edge and Eno begin the "ohhh's" and Bono breaks into a confession that I believe should include the word "Lord". I hear it! lol. Listen to the music, it picks up, and the lyrics confess or call to something or someone. The song is about a weak, tormented faith and a depressing call to be woke up. Bono speak up!
Your weight Lord
when your weight falls down on me
be the heavy hand,
the mortal sand...

soulwind (oh, hi everyone!)

Interesting, bud
smile.gif
but personally I don't like this song. The First Time is my fave off the M$H.

foray

Back
Top Bottom