Sort Of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
What is this song about? I've listened to it so often, but when I read the lyrics today I realized that I have no clue what the song is really about.

I'd be so glad if anyone could help me!
hug.gif

I :heart: this song. It makes me sad and happy at the same time. I think...I think it's about death and going home to the Lord, especially with the opening lines...

And you know it's time to go
through the sleet and driving snow

And amidst the grieving, the person the sees the "light" referring to the afterlife.

across the fields of mourning to a
light that's in the distance

The last lines are quite comforting.

Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

Last edited:
Thank you, dizzy.
clicksmilies33642.png

mushy.gif
:laugh:

Lilly: Would you have had an insight for me? Or do you refuse to help me???? :cute:

dizzy said:
I :heart: this song. It makes me sad and happy at the same time. I think...I think it's about death and going home to the Lord, especially with the opening lines...

And you know it's time to go
through the sleet and driving snow

And amidst the grieving, the person the sees the "light" referring to the afterlife.

across the fields of mourning to a
light that's in the distance

The last lines are quite comforting.

Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

Wow, I never thought about the lyrics that way! Like Falling Star, I wasn't sure what they meant, I just liked the song...

Elisabeth

I always assumed it was about a homecoming. Both physically and mentally. The character is physically coming home (traveling through the storm) but also mental coming home, reuniting with a lost friend/lover. They're coming home to where they know they'll be safe and loved.

Could be about a lot of things...I've read several interpretations I like. The title comes from a poet called Paul Celan (if I remember right) who said "Poetry is a sort of homecoming." So I think it may be about the mystery of the creative process. But another interpretation I liked suggested it was about a soldier dying in war.

One thing I do know is that this song has by far my favourite lyric from any U2 song.

FallingStar said:

Lilly: Would you have had an insight for me? Or do you refuse to help me???? :cute:

i had no insight to begin with...i could copy and paste what dizzy said and claim it as my own and hope no one notices. :D that's cos i'm quality like that.

Back
Top Bottom