Songs about Africa/Poverty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Streets is about the first time Bono went to Africa... Then there are many songs wich may have refferences but i can't tell you for sure if they're about Africa or not...

Crumbs From Your Table is one. Grace mentions one of the TASO workers from Africa, and part of Miracle Drug is about AIDS medicines. The beginnings of the lyrics for Streets was written in Ethiopia when Bono and Ali were there working in the feeding camp. Also Window in the Skies sort of references the work in Africa.

Dana

but...they also wrote Crumbs when they were shitfaced, and it was originally more nonsensical (ever wonder about that mouth full of teeth line...) and then when they were sober went in and added the Sister Mary bit. I like it a lot, but still a funny story.

^It might be Bono's subconscious coming through. Hasn't he said that he somehow avoided writing songs about Africa because he felt this isn't stuff for music? So maybe when he can write about it only when he's drunk. Or the others tolerate it only when they are drunk.

I've always thought that Streets was, and I think Beautiful Day has themes relating to extreme poverty (you may think that your life sucks, but just try living for a day in Niger on $1/day), and maybe Window in the Skies ('all debts are removed').

digitize said:
I've always thought that Streets was, and I think Beautiful Day has themes relating to extreme poverty (you may think that your life sucks, but just try living for a day in Niger on $1/day), and maybe Window in the Skies ('all debts are removed').

Well, Beautiful Day is in Bono's description about someone who has lost everything but suddenly realizes it's still a beautiful day.

Dana

last unicorn said:
^It might be Bono's subconscious coming through. Hasn't he said that he somehow avoided writing songs about Africa because he felt this isn't stuff for music? So maybe when he can write about it only when he's drunk. Or the others tolerate it only when they are drunk.

No, the drunk lyrics had very little to do with poverty or Africa. They added those parts later and took out some of the nonsensical drunk parts (but left in "mouth full of teeth"....). Watch the DVD that came with Bomb.

Varitek said:

No, the drunk lyrics had very little to do with poverty or Africa. They added those parts later and took out some of the nonsensical drunk parts (but left in "mouth full of teeth"....). Watch the DVD that came with Bomb.
OK, then I would LOVE to hear the "drunk" lyrics. :lol:

I don't have it with me at my summer residence but it's on the DVD with Bomb if anyone has it. I'll dig it up when I go home for the weekend in a few weeks.

there is a song that is clear it's about africa !! but it's not U2 song !! it's Bono and alicia keys !! "don't give up africa"
I think the song "stay" is about africa !!

Last edited:
Miss-of-Hewson said:
there is a song that is clear it's about africa !! but it's not U2 song !! it's Bono and alicia keys !! "don't give up africa"
I think the song "stay" is about africa !!

It's called 'Don't Give Up' and it's a cover of a Peter Gabriel song written in the 80's, not originally about Africa.

And Stay? How is that related to Africa, I'd love to hear that interpretation.

Stay is not about Africa. Stay is about a woman in an abusive relationship. If you want to go way out there and all metaphorical about Africa (or fill in the blank) and its economic relationship with the West that it doesn't extract itself from because it is too enticing in the short term and emotionally attached, well, you could do that, but that's not the intention of the song.

But, thanks for inspiring one of my marathon sessions where I listen to Stay and only Stay (in multiple versions). Time to give my Stay playlist some action!

waw !! i was shearshing and i have rideen that stay is about africa !!
i am sorry !! may be i am wrong !! we must ask bono to know the real answer !!

Miss-of-Hewson said:
waw !! i was shearshing and i have rideen that stay is about africa !!
i am sorry !! may be i am wrong !! we must ask bono to know the real answer !!

I believe it was written for Wim Wender's film Faraway, So Close! and for Frank Sinatra, as well.

No Africa in there, how do you think it relates to it?

Back
Top Bottom