So why does bono say Uno, Dos, tres...catorce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been posted many times. It's Spanish, and it refers to Steve Lillywhite producing their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourteenth albums.

U2Kitten said:
This has been posted many times. It's Spanish, and it refers to Steve Lillywhite producing their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourteenth albums.

I thought this was their eleventh? Though, that would be really cool if that's what it referred to.

After listening to the Spanish version of "Mothers of the Disappeared" I concluded that his Spanish isn't bad for a pasty Irish guy.

But this is just weird.

why does it have to mean anything? maybe he just sang it cuz he felt like it? :shrug:

Keocmb said:

I thought this was their eleventh? Though, that would be really cool if that's what it referred to.

It would be their 14th if compilations and live albums were to be counted - but then it's a rather weird count as these sort of albums are seldom considered when stating the quantity of albums released by an artist since they don't contain new or original material in their whole. Strictly counting full studio albums HTDAAB is their 10th.

ultraviolet7 said:

It would be their 14th if compilations and live albums were to be counted - ... Strictly counting full studio albums HTDAAB is their 10th.

right, i dont think it would have sounded better if he sang, "uno, dos, tres, diez!" if i had to choose, id take the 14.

I think it symbolizes the impatience and confusion of the singer. He's in veritgo, where everything is distorted and out of alignment. The numbers don't follow their normal order, nor does he see light or dark, nor does he hear anything that sounds like sense. He can't stand the beat, he's asking for the check...He can't stand the beat means he's confused and upset, the impatience is seen when he's asking for the check. Same thing can be applied to the opening lines.

Plus, what better way to beging a song than a countdown of numbers...---->see Bruce Springsteen. ;)

Danospano said:
I think it symbolizes the impatience and confusion of the singer. He's in veritgo, where everything is distorted and out of alignment. The numbers don't follow their normal order, nor does he see light or dark, nor does he hear anything that sounds like sense. He can't stand the beat, he's asking for the check...He can't stand the beat means he's confused and upset, the impatience is seen when he's asking for the check. Same thing can be applied to the opening lines.

I like that interpretation.

ultraviolet7 said:

Strictly counting full studio albums HTDAAB is their 10th.

Huh? How do you only get 10, I count 11.

1 Boy
2 October
3 War
4 U/Fire
5 Joshua Tree
6 R n H
7 AB
8 Zoo
9 Pop
10 All That
11 HTDAAB

After The Edge hollers: '!HOLA!' and Bono responds, what does he sing next? I still can't make it out, and it's doing my head in!

Sounds something like: 'Catorce'???

...I'm at a place called Vertigo
(donde esta)
*Spanish for "Where is it?" i think*

It has been brought up in other forums, that it is referencing the 1st testament, 2nd book, 3rd chapter, 14th verse - which is exodus 3:14 - the verse with Moses talking with the burning bush (God) and God calling himself "I AM". This is re-inforced by the inclusion of the handwritten notes of this verse in the Box release book on the page for "All Because of You" - just a theory that I think makes sense in a U2 / Bono kind of way

I always thought it was a clever working into the song of the length of the audio track - from memory the song runs for exactly 3 mins and 14 secs.
But the biblical reference seems more plausible to me now.:drool:

Vertigo is a great song because it makes sense only in relation to the feeling. Not to anything else. It is not a logical song. It is a feel song. Therefore it is non-sensical or nonsense.

The second thought I have is this. At fourteen, the song lifts off, so to speak and the contrast of hearing 'something out of context' and the musical lift create a unique sensation in your brain.

It is perplexing and yet effective. Slight variations in lyric always leave the listener intrigued. Check out this below from "Heart Shaped Box"

Hey Wait
blah, blah
Hey, Haight
blah, blah
Hey Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom