So, Ultraviolet interpretations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their songs are sort of like a musical Rorschach test. :lol:

Which is probably one reason why people refrain from offering up interpretations lol. Although what I feel about a particular U2 song and where I think Bono was coming from when he wrote it are often quite different.

Are you sure that's according to Bono? In the Into the Heart excerpt in VP's post it says the lyric is not associated with the source of the title (the Hiroshima and Nagasaki art exhibit...).

I forget where I read the Tokyo thing now... I'll try to dig it up. But I know it cited Bono as being the one who said that.

According to Bono, TUF is about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but, in a literal sense, actually describes the downright absurd sensations and emotional yearning of being in Tokyo for the first time... a really cool juxtaposition, in my humble opinion. But in the end, it's all pretty metaphorical, tying into the flirtation with death and end-of-relationship (of any sort) themes of the album.

I love TUF (the album and the song). :heart:

Are you sure that's according to Bono? In the Into the Heart excerpt in VP's post it says the lyric is not associated with the source of the title (the Hiroshima and Nagasaki art exhibit...).

That Tokyo reference actually sounds like it may have come from U2 At The End of the World. I really need to dig that book out, again.

Wow- look what I started about TUF. Sorry about the hijack.
Sadly I'm no closer to "loving" the song TUF. I remember an MTV interview with Bono about TUF when he said that he got the name from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki paintings but TUF as a concept was ABOUT the fire that burned in people such as Elvis Presley, MLK, Jim Morrison, and another singer who was dead. (I'm sure I botched the quote- you get the idea.) In other words- nothing to do with the paintings.

And I still don't get it. Who's he talking to, or talking about? It seems like disconnected images and pictures to me.

Here are the lyrics.
Ice
Your only rivers run cold
These city lights
They shine as silver and gold
Dug from the night
Your eyes as black as coal
Walk on by
Walk on through
Walk 'til you run
And don't look back
For here I am

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through alcohol,
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and waterless place

Walk on by
Walk on through
So sad to beseige your love so head on
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on take me away
Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

And if the mountain should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after
It's lovin' time
And if you save your love
Save it all tonight

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight

Wow- look what I started about TUF. Sorry about the hijack.
Sadly I'm no closer to "loving" the song TUF. I remember an MTV interview with Bono about TUF when he said that he got the name from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki paintings but TUF as a concept was ABOUT the fire that burned in people such as Elvis Presley, MLK, Jim Morrison, and another singer who was dead. (I'm sure I botched the quote- you get the idea.) In other words- nothing to do with the paintings.

And I still don't get it. Who's he talking to, or talking about? It seems like disconnected images and pictures to me.

No, you didn't hijack at all, I'm more than happy to discuss any song! And also pleased that I've found a few people who seem to enjoy it as much as I do. The fact that several of us seem to have very disparate views makes it even more interesting, and has made me cast aside some longstanding assumptions, and look at things in a new light, which is cool.

You're right, much of the album seems to be written in vague sketches of images. I've read that Bono was suffering from writer's block at the time, and probably a bit of insecurity about his writing abilities, too, so that many of the songs did end up as "vague sketches." I just got Niall Stokes' book Into The Heart for Christmas, and while I haven't had time to sit down and read it all, I've looked up the odd song here and there, and this seems to be a theme with many of the songs on the album. In particular, I do remember reading that Elvis Presley and America was mostly ad-libbed in one take, that Brian Eno encouraged him to take this approach, lyrically.

I can attempt to explain how I've arrived at my view of the song, again with the disclaimer that I could be completely wrong. Like Ali, I have no source for any of this, it's just what it's always struck me as, a description of and a conversation with a sexual partner, probably someone that cares about the narrator more than he cares about her, and he's sort of warning her that this is all it is to him.

Ice
These city lights
Dug from the night
Walk on by
Walk on through
Walk 'til you run
And don't look back
For here I am

Images of the time and place, maybe? She has dark eyes, or maybe there's a deeper meaning, like he thinks she's cold and calculating, since her eyes are black and "dug from the night," which certainly doesn't imply warmth, in any way. Then it ends with a warning to her, that it's probably best for her to move on and forget him.

Carnival
Through alcohol,
Face to face

I love this verse so much. The imagery is amazing. The carnival and colours and wheels spinning evoke this image of something heady and intoxicating; sort of off balance, like hyper-stimulation (sort of what Digitize mentioned in regard to Tokyo). I can't ever have a glass of cabernet or merlot without thinking of "red wine that punctures the skin." :) The last two lines bring to mind two people who are essentially using each other to quench a thirst. Brilliant. So, this verse sounds like a slightly boozy, highly stimulating encounter, to me.

Walk on by
Walk on through
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on take me away
Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

Again, this starts with the warning to her. The word "besiege" has a few meanings, but the one I attach to this is to "harass with requests." He's asking her not to feel anything. Then, he seems to toss away his warning, and sort of say "okay, let's go through with this...we both know it's a lie, but we'll pretend for the night."

Not a tear, no not I
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after
It's lovin' time
Save it all tonight

When it's done, he won't have regrets, he won't miss her. Very unromantic and honest.

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight

Again, a warning. He's telling her not to ask too much of him.

:shrug:

^Fascinating...never even remotely occured to me the song could be about that. You're right, it makes the discussion very interesting!

Hope you're enjoying Into the Heart. I've had the original version forever and can't remember the last time I picked it up. I do recall much of UF the album being described as similar to impressionist paintings.

Loosen, you need to find a way to love this song so I'll throw in my :twocents: about what I've always believed Bono was on about. My disclaimer on this is that apparently Bono isn't entirely sure lol (or willing to share).

I agree with VP that it's a conversation with someone who he cares about and is close to and their relationship is strained, going though the machinations of ending. He doesn't want that but may have no choice to let go given what's come between them. I've kind of seen it as the tough love flipside of Bad.

Ice
These city lights
Dug from the night
Walk on by
Walk on through
Walk 'til you run
And don't look back
For here I am

I like that Bono once said that TUF refers to the fire that burned in great people (mostly musicians) - whose passion incidentally was extinguished by an outside force - drugs in the cases of the musicians. That's how I've interpreted the 'fire and ice' contradiction of the open lines. The close friend - and friendship - once had great potential. The next lines conjur up wasted opportunity and eyes that once sparkled with promise are now lifeless and cold. The friends are diverging into different directions - one who's nightlife is leading in the direction of fortune - which is just a painful and guilty reminder of what could have been to someone on the slope of addiction.

Carnival
Through alcohol,
Face to face

Like VP said, the imagery is amazing, hyper-stimulation, dizzy, out of control. I read U2 at the End of the World long ago but they did an awful lot of crazy partying in Tokyo. The vice of one friend being alcohol, the other red wine that puntures the skin. To me that metaphor is so vividly and unmistakingly heroin. The last two lines bring to mind two people who are together but what their relationship used to be has subtey been dried up by the destructive force of heroin - the dry-mouth connotation.

Walk on by
Walk on through
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on take me away
Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

He wants to help his friend and has probably tried to no avail and pleads for the good old times. The back and forth, push and pull negotiation a loved one goes through with an addict.

Not a tear, no not I
Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after
It's lovin' time
Save it all tonight

The first 3 lines are borrowed from the song Stand By Me. His friend is in trouble and he wants to see him through it but he knows it's for not and pretending everything will be alright or any other enabling behaviour is a lie.

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight

While he's committed to the friendship, there are limits and he be forced to walk away.

:heart:

Wow I love hearing all these interpretations. You both make excellent points but from such completely different angles. Bono's lyrics :heart:

VP and Ali- great stuff. I think I had such a hard time with TUF because at that time Bono rarely sang so personally. It was usually about big things (War, God, heroin addiction, MLK, martyrs, etc) and not so much personal things.

I do see now that "rivers run cold" probably is a play on being cold-blooded and the "shine as silver and gold" is contrasted with the "eyes as black as coal."

I wonder also if the "take me home again" is related to the first song on the album- A Sort of Homecoming.

My question for VP is how do you square your interpretation with the song and album title.

Wow I love hearing all these interpretations. You both make excellent points but from such completely different angles. Bono's lyrics :heart:

Thanks! You should join in! :)

^Fascinating...never even remotely occured to me the song could be about that. You're right, it makes the discussion very interesting!

I enjoyed reading your take too, thanks for posting it. :up: Your version never would have occurred to me, either, but after reading it, I can see where you have drawn that conclusion. The "punctures the skin" line in particular, I'd never through of it in that way before. I've never heard of heroin being compared to red wine though, unless he was using poetic license to create a sort of metaphor?

I guess the other major reason I probably wouldn't have considered it is because they've never made any secret of the meaning of their anti drug songs (Bad, RTSS), and I would have thought that if this were another one, it would be commonly known. In contrast, they seem to keep the meanings of more personal songs cryptic, they don't discuss them much, beyond the superficial.

VP and Ali- great stuff. I think I had such a hard time with TUF because at that time Bono rarely sang so personally. It was usually about big things (War, God, heroin addiction, MLK, martyrs, etc) and not so much personal things.

I do see now that "rivers run cold" probably is a play on being cold-blooded and the "shine as silver and gold" is contrasted with the "eyes as black as coal."

I wonder also if the "take me home again" is related to the first song on the album- A Sort of Homecoming.

My question for VP is how do you square your interpretation with the song and album title.

That's a good question. Until I got the book Into The Heart, I guess I'd always thought of the song title as a separate but related entity to the album title/the title of the art exhibit. It seems that Bono often will get initial inspiration from one thing, and then turn it into something that's unrelated. To me, the song really has nothing to do with the original meaning of the phrase, except perhaps in a very loose way, in that it could be related to the destruction of a relationship, or maybe personal destruction due to giving into temptation. And as the paragraph I quoted on the previous page seems to indicate, I wasn't too far off base, at least as far as that one small aspect goes:

It was too good a title not to use it as a song as well - though what Bono produced by way of a lyric had little or no connection to the source of the title. ... "The Unforgettable Fire, it's a sketch: 'Carnival/wheels fly and colours spin/face to face/in a dry and waterless place.' It builds up a picture, but it's only a sketch." ... "It doesn't tell you anything," Bono adds, but he's right only up to a point. Again, this is an emotional travelogue, images shuffled through the memory to underscore the song's heartfelt sense of yearning. It's a love song that links thematically back to "A Sort of Homecoming," but it's imbued with a deeper sense of foreboding that seems to anticipate the end of a relationship.

The only lines that have anything to do with physical destruction of land are:

Not a tear, no not I

and I've always felt he was using that as a metaphor for personal destruction.

Also, in the quote, you can see that you're correct about the relation to A Sort of Homecoming.

Like Ali alluded to, I often think that sometimes Bono might not be sure of the exact meaning, or it may be ambiguous to him. Or, as I said above, perhaps they're simply too personal to discuss. And sometimes, I think his/their interpretations evolve over time.

Okay guys, we need more songs to discuss, we can't let this thread die! :lol:

To me, the song really has nothing to do with the original meaning of the phrase, except perhaps in a very loose way, in that it could be related to the destruction of a relationship, or maybe personal destruction due to giving into temptation.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this - there's also the obvious (to me, anyway) meaning of the phrase, which fits into my interpretation: the "unforgettable fire" of sexual passion. Which again could be an example of Bono taking inspiration from one thing, and turning it into something completely different.

VP said "Like Ali alluded to, I often think that sometimes Bono might not be sure of the exact meaning, or it may be ambiguous to him. Or, as I said above, perhaps they're simply too personal to discuss. And sometimes, I think his/their interpretations evolve over time."
I didn't want to paste the whole thing but this is a great point and makes sense. It's easy to talk about MLK or drugs, but perhaps not so easy to bare very personal things. And to re-connect it back to the original post- perhaps that's why UV is not talked about even though the lyrics are IMO some of their best. Maybe it goes back to something very personal.

I agree we need more songs to discuss. I'll chime in if you will start a new thread (as long as its not zooropa.) Analyzing U2 lyrics has been a hobby of mine for many years.

This is fun. :D

I think any artist is crypic about what's most personal, that's to be expected. With Bono, to me many of his lyrics resonate on so many levels precisely because he reaches deep within and authentically speaks his own truth. The more introspective he is, the more universal the themes.

Another note about TUF being about more than the title. The original TUF art exhibit, from what I remember, was a collection of paintings done by survivors of the bomb as a way to cope and come to terms with the experience. I think that sensibility weaves its way though the whole album.

Going back to UV being personal -

From

you say you want your story to remain untold - on JT

To

You bury your treasure
Where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret
That's been passed around

She's very private yet he exposes the intimacy of their relationship in many ways in many songs.

Why not zooropa???? :hyper:

LOL. I never got around to buying Zooropa so I don't know any of the songs. (I took the 90s off- u2 didn't seem so important with 3 small kids.) I bought AB in about 03 and Pop in 06 so I wil probably buy Zooropa soon- especially after reading the "intensive analysis" that is sure to come. :love:

LOL. I never got around to buying Zooropa so I don't know any of the songs. (I took the 90s off- u2 didn't seem so important with 3 small kids.) I bought AB in about 03 and Pop in 06 so I wil probably buy Zooropa soon- especially after reading the "intensive analysis" that is sure to come. :love:

Oh no! Run out and buy it today! Seriously. You NEED this album. :)

I would say that it's a transition between AB and Pop that makes sense.

That's a good way to put it :up:

Zooropa always seems to be one of those albums that gets looked over at first, strangely. It's fantastic. The title song is probably one of my top ten all time, not to mention Stay, Lemon, and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car being maybe top 20. I just love this whole album. Yes, even Babyface. :)

Of course it's nearly impossible for me to actually MAKE a top 10 list... there would probably be at least 20 songs in my top 10 :der:

Doesn't the original video for A Sort of Homecoming depict them on the road? So I've always felt the song was about the band coming back to Ireland (still in conflict in the 80s) after being on the road during the War tour. With similar feelings a soldier would face coming home after a tour of duty.

Or alternatively, heading out on the road from a war-torn place - the tour and stage itself being home. I prefer that perspective. :)

:lol:

It did need to grow on me, and it took years, but I finally get it now, and it's great, and fits on the album nicely.

I highly doubt that song will ever grow on me. Same with Red Light.

They're about the only two songs that I NEVER ever want to hear live.

Red Light will never grow on me. Ever. And I have tried. I do really like Bono's vocals on it though... shame about everything else. :wink:

I can't even remember most of the song anymore. All I hear is those dreadful DA DA DA's and I cringe and put on the next song.

I really love song interpretation, and especially with U2's work because it's not always so direct - everyone has a different take on it and it would seem nobody is wrong! You can twist the words to fit every situation, young and old may have different opinions depending on what they're going through etc.

So after seeing such amazing ideas put forward, some in ways I'd have never considered, I hope it's ok to share mine on UV... It's quite blunt, but maybe a different twist - I see more of a dialogue about an unhealthy affair rather than a breakup of a marriage...:reject:

I actually like to split the song into two different people, as if this is an insight into both their perspectives… At times it’s ‘Bono’ singing to a girl/someone who’s involved in an affair, providing a sort of guardian angel vibe…At times it’s the person and their involvement/emotions during the unbalanced affair

"Sometimes I feel like I don’t know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can’t always be strong
And love it won’t be long"

How the affair began, can’t always be strong to your beliefs, sometimes it feels good to be wrong, to do something wild, at other times you want to quit it, check out. It won't be long until it comes to an end...

"Oh sugar don’t you cry
Oh child wipe the tears form your eye
You know I need you to be strong
And the day is as dark as the night is long
"

This would be 'Bonos' view, so the ‘sugar’ he’s talking about is the girl, telling her to be strong, knowing that it’s difficult

"Feel like trash you make me feel clean
I’m in the black can’t see or be seen
"

The girl is feeling dirty after the affair, a little used and invisible, can’t see the way out, she’s speaking of someone/something that gives her hope, someone that can see her and make her feel clean

You bury your treasure where it can’t be found
But your love is like a secret that’s been passed around

‘Bono’ again, singing of how the girl was innocent and beautiful within (some form of treasure), had a guard up against everything (can’t be found), until the affair/abuse, now the love she had to give has been taken and lost its beauty, like a secret told enough times lessens its value

"There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no-one can sleep
I guess it’s the price of love
I know it’s not cheap
"

Again, this is the end result of the affair, silence, emptiness, so much on somebody’s mind that they can’t sleep, but there’s nobody they can say anything to. The chorus etc is all about asking for their path to be lit, the way out of the darkness to be made clear

"I remember when we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together in whispers and moans
"

Remembering a time when the relationship, friendship could be out in the open, but now it’s resigned to a secret, just sex, nothing else.

"When I was all messed up and I had opera in my head
Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed
"

Back to the guardian angel, something providing a glimmer of hope. Opera is dramatic, love and death etc etc, so the person is claiming that when all they could see and think of was the worst case scenario, the end of the world, they still had that little lightbulb reminding them of hope.

:hmm:

I’m in the black can’t see or be seen
Baby baby baby, like my way"

Been thinking about that particular line a lot as of late. Perhaps it's a girl that makes him feel better as a person, perhaps it's a state of mind... who knows? But I suppose we all need that particular thing to guide us out of our dark periods and make us into the people we can and deserve to be.

Or something like that anyway... :)

Ok, my turn. I adore this song.

Overall I think this song is about THE FLY and the the Holy Spirit. Bono's brilliance in disguising romantic love with the devine.
Remember Bono during this time AB Era, he/they were feeling the weight of the world on their shoulders especially in the after glow of the Joshua Tree. There was this whole calculation to re-do everything "dream all up again". That whole "4 serious young men with a mission " wrap they got after it's huge success. He wants to chuck that image and "get it wrong" as the fly in order to show those that are lost that they aren't alone. This song is totally about the Holy Spirit to me. Purple represents the Holy Spirit. Why do you think Bono likes purple and refers to it so much?

Sometimes I feel like I don’t know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can’t always be strong
And love it won’t be long"

It won't be long until we understand what this insanity of life is about..or until we leave this world

"Oh sugar don’t you cry
Oh child wipe the tears form your eye
You know I need you to be strong
And the day is as dark as the night is long"

I think this is GOD talking to Bono, as The Fly.... and it carries here in this verse...

I’m in the black can’t see or be seen"

Baby in the song is The Holy Spirit which will light his way and make him feel clean again

You bury your treasure where it can’t be found
But your love is like a secret that’s been passed around

God's love is like a secret treasure that get's passed around.
I think there is a bible verse referring to your treasure...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34 I had to look that up I am not up on my Bilbe verses.

"There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no-one can sleep
I guess it’s the price of love
I know it’s not cheap"

The twist again between The Fly's world and the world of the devine.... God's love is not cheap.

"I remember when we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together in whispers and moans"
"When I was all messed up and I had opera in my head
Your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed"

Remember the story Bono tells in U2 by U2 of his childhood after his mother passed away. He basically had a breakdown "the opera in his head" and God's love saved him from this insanity when his mind "slipped"

I love the performance on 360 DVD it makes me sad....though. I got a sad feeling when this lead in to WOWY..... like he was saying goodbye forever to The Fly and his suit of lights. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom