So cruel & party girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muller

The Fly
anyone wanna break down so cruel for me and also party girl? i know what so cruel is about but dont quite understand the lyrics, they dont quite fit, but i wanna hear what you guys think before i say anything, also i just plain dont understand party girl, again i think i know who its about but not sure.

let me know what you think...
thanks

well so cruel i feel is a song about someone who toys with his feelings.

Like she knows that he is in love with her but she onlys wants him when she wants him and he kows that too, but he can't leave her, so she's cruel to him, but he's being cruel to himself for staying when he knows he shouldn't so that love almost turns into hate

We're cut adrift
We're still floating
I'm only hanging on
To watch you go down
My love

he wants to see her go down so he can finally be free because he can't just walk away

Screams like an angel for your love
Then she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug

she calls for him, to make him grovel and he can't say no, because he is to transfixed with her

well thats what i see!

and for party girl, well i heard that trash was adam clayton (and tramploine as he like's getting it on) and that party girl was aislinn (the edges first wife) but what it actually means, not too sure! :)

well yeah, im sure bono got quite a bit from edge's problems with his ex wife, but there person wanted to understand what the lyrics meant, not the reason behind the song...

i also have heard that is was a song about edges divorce (along with one) wow such pretty words for such a painful thing :(

see i heard it was about edge's divorce but i heard it was very amicable and they still get on very well and see each other...

I always thought that So Cruel was about a relationship in which the two people in the relationship thought they loved eachother, but it's really only lust.

"Between the horses of love and lust we're trampled underfoot."

-they're having trouble determinning wheter it's love or lust

"Screams like and angel for your love
And as she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug."

-the "scream for your love" and "watch her from above" reminds me of sex. That's followed by "and you need her like a drug." This is only my opinion but it seems he only feels that he needs her after/during sex. A realtionship of lust.

"I'm only hanging on to watch you go down, my love"."

-reminds me of oral. Maybe I'm just a pervert or something but he's only in this to watch her "go down."

So that's my opinion of the song. I could be totally off but that's my interpretation. Whatever it's about, it's a beautiful song and I love it. :drool:

BlackElectric said:

"I'm only hanging on to watch you go down, my love"."

-reminds me of oral. Maybe I'm just a pervert or something but he's only in this to watch her "go down."

Considering some of the other lyrical content in the album, you might not be far off.

"Surrounding me, going down on me"
- UTEOTW

"You can swallow or you can spit"
- Acrobat

In Flanagan's "U2 at the End of the World", I think he says there's 4 references in Achtung to oral sex. Inmyplace has mentioned the two obvious ones, BlackElectrical possibly has another one, so that line in So Cruel could be that other one on the album that didn't seem obvious to me before.

Back
Top Bottom