So Cruel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tatechesley

Babyface
Is this anyone elses favorite song? I just love how the violens come in and then Edges guitar just sneaks in. With the piano and the drums combined with Bonos voice, what other song could be better? None :wink:

It si a really beautiful sounding song, one of Bono's best vocals and perfectly complimented by the the piano, drums and then the slow into of bass and guitar. The sound serves as a perfect counter-point to the sad, bitter, acidic lyrics. It's one of those great transcendent musical moments captured on tape.

I have been listening to it a lot recently and it makes me remember when I was 15 when AB first came out and now that I am 28 and have a bit more experience I feel like I understand the song more than I did. (as with many AB songs)

tatechesley said:
Is this anyone elses favorite song? I just love how the violens come in and then Edges guitar just sneaks in. With the piano and the drums combined with Bonos voice, what other song could be better? None :wink:

One of my favorites...it's very moving... his voice is sexy with just enough underlying bitterness to keep with the intensity that builds throughout the song...it's a classic...;)

I used to absolutely loathe the song, but now I like it. Don't feel anything special for it and I usually skip it to get to The Fly, which I love, but it is a good song, definitely.

Trouble with the song is that it was impossible to do live!!!

They performed it at soundchecks (Hershey, for one) and played it 4 times - but only as a snippet or a shortened acoustic version, and even though I think it's a great song, I'm always a bit p*ssed at songs that can't be played at concerts - what's the point???

Imagine U2 doing a tour of an album that they can't play live :confused: - see my point?

yet it is such an emotional song, you can't be too pissed it can't play live. this song just drips with longing and frustration, i love it, always have. for me it stands the test of time very well, too - and not all of them do.

frenchie1970 said:
yet it is such an emotional song, you can't be too pissed it can't play live. this song just drips with longing and frustration, i love it, always have. for me it stands the test of time very well, too - and not all of them do.

You have to agree with me that it would be GREAT to hear So Cruel live.
Imagine if they never played One or WOWY live :ohmy:

Absolutely classic U2 and one of my faves. The song has a timeless quality and contains one of my fave lyrics 'between the horses of love and lust we are trampled, underfoot'.
I read once somewhere that it was similar to a Roy Orbison type of song. (It might of been Bono himself that said it).

Now I never liked it either, until I actually listened to the words in depth. It has so much pathos! It's mournful, and sad, and frustrated, yet the music itself so melodic and calming. I do believe that So Cruel contains some of Bono's best lyrical work, as he uses more imagery than usual.

Back
Top Bottom