Sneaking U2 lyrics into schoolwork...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Yep, I'm now guilty. :) I'm writing a paper on the problem of hell in contemporary Christian philosophy, concentrating on the differences between the traditionalist and the universalist views of the afterlife. Anyway, I used 2 sets of song lyrics to open up my paper:

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to a lake of fire and fry
--"Lake of Fire" Meat Puppets

What once was hurt, what once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings
Because grace makes beauty out of ugly things
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace finds goodness in everything
--"Grace" U2

Cooly, huh? ;)

Who else has let their love of the lyrics seep into academia? I know I'm not the only one.

Well, I'm doing a 15 minute presentation + a 10-page paper on Bullet the Blue Sky, which would explain my posts about that song. I initially chose Sunday Bloody Sunday, but I think Bullet is more attention-grabbing, & I personally like it better.

I know I've used songs of U2 in my school work, but I can't----

Ohohoh wait :laugh: I once connected "40" with a book about Nazism cos it was about some year in the 40s, one guy in there had 40 degree fever, was 40 years old, and was lying in bed #40 in the hospital - for me it was obvious that this fellow was waiting to be lifted out of the pit etc. :shifty: :lmao: :huh:

My teacher liked this part very much. :huh:

Okay, it wasn't really just U2ish, but without U2 I would have never recited some part of the bible in German homework. :lol:

BTW, I just realized again that if a lyric really gets you just when you read it, it has to be amazing.

What once was hurt, what once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings
Because grace makes beauty out of ugly things
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace finds goodness in everything
--"Grace" U2

I didn't know these lyrics by heart, cos I hardly listen to Grace, but these are stunning..........

I titled my paper about the tensions between men & women
"We're One, But We're Not the Same" :)

I also quoted WOWY in a paper defining love, in the "love doesn't always go so perfect" and quoted alot of poetry, song lyrics, one of which was "And I can't live, with or without you."

I know there must be more, but I can't think of any. Those are the two that leap out at me. :der:

Elisabeth

lol @ all these examples!

I was just writing a paper about Women in the English Renaissance of all things and I managed to get some U2isms in there...

if not actual lyrics, at least u2 phrasings

the fun thing is that now I do it almost unconsciously! I only realize what I've said is connected with u2 AFTER I've said it! lol

In college I took a poetry course, and my original paper was "Images of Ireland and America in the Lyrics of U2." It was totally fun to write, and the professor dug it.

Go, me!

last year in english class (bible and related literature) we had to compile a notebook of bible references. i think i used "40", "bullet the blue sky", "until the end of the world", and like 6 others until the teacher started hinting that i should look for references in places other than u2 songs...i found some site somewhere which listed about 55 songs with biblical references, but it was long after the assignment was due. and i would have got a pretty low grade for using just u2 songs...

I don't mean to brag about, but last year in school we had to make a movie, an art movie or a documentary (boring!!!). I was in charge of almost everything (lazy group). I directed and wrote and everything, I even filmed and edited. Anyway, in some part of the film I maneged to put (actually I filled) the "When I first met you girl you had fire in your soul, what happened your face of melting snow" part of Acrobat.
In the music part, the 1 minute intro had"Lady with the spining head (extended dance mix)" in the background. Others songs I put on the movie were about 10 seconds of "Peace on earth" and a lot but not all of "Love is blindness".
By the way, the story was about a family torned apart because of television and everything that comes with it (crazyness, thinking that a lot of things are right because they are on TV, etc).
The 1 minute intro was A LA Zoo Tv intro (images flashing, a lot of yunk and not so yunk TV stuff). Between scenes, phrases flashed to the screen (I love you, everything you know is wrong, ultraviolence, etc). In the middle of a scene a Tv image could appear, also I maneged to include for less than a second a Zoo Tv screensaver that I got, where all the words appear at mega-fast speed.
And at the final scene, a girl turns off a tv and WATCH MORE TV appears until the total fade out

Of course, the movie title was ZOO TV ;) :wink:

Last edited:
A judge was also a U2 fan and he told me not to steel so much :p

By the way, it was a contest, and I WON :)

12th grade bible and related literature class--we had to compile a notebook of 50 biblical references and allusions, i think about 10 i found were u2 songs...

Not a lyric...but one of the paper options/ideas for one of my American History classes is:

"The U-2 spy plane incident"

I was going to do something Cold War related. I will probably end up picking it. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom