Smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VicksSs

Refugee
:wave: I was listening to this song today and realised how good and beautiful it is. Dunno if someone else feels this way about it, but the melody is so beautiful and the lyrics are just :drool: , they fit so well in the music. Here's the lyrics:

"Smile"

Gravity, it’s not pulling me
I won’t be a picture with no sound
Decaying, I’m praying
You are my air
But I need the ground to kneel upon
And love can’t be us all
I don’t want to see you smile

I’m breaking it, taking it
I’m breaking slowly in my mind
I’m seeing it, free in it
I know love is in this soul of mine
It’s not in your eyes
I don’t want

It started light-hearted
I won’t be easier like you said
I’m going, flowing
I’m leaving on the day
Of the day I will live again
You will live again

God knows, He knows me
Knows me, lonely
You see, hear me, love
Say it again
You’re not blind
The smoke machine
Is yours, not mine

I will live again
You will live again
I just don’t want to see you smile

(Hey unleast I forgot the alphabet, u2.com hasen't got the lyrics :madspit: :huh: )

Dunno what this song is "really" about, if that's a right thing to say (you know Bono :p ) but I find that it is about a person telling another one they've got to break up, wether it is lovers or a friend or whatever I dunno, any kind of relationship I guess, and the other person just not being able to see or not wanting to see how troubled their relationship is... "the smoke machine is yours, not mine", and the person pretending everything is fine "I don't wanna see you smile"... I think it is very beautiful and for some reason, not very common in U2 songs (maybe it is, if so, give me exaples), because I find that Kite could be similar but the person saying goodbye seems more sad than angry... I think it's anger here... whatever, this is turning into a very long post :lol:

Just wanted to say how beautiful I think it is and I'd be glad to listen to your your opinions as well :up:

You are my air
But I need the ground to kneel upon :drool: :drool:

I LOVE this song. :love:

Even more than Mercy. :D

I think the whole melody to the guitar is really purrty. Bono's voice sounds good in it, perfect fit for the song. It's not fast but not super slow either. I think it's one of my favorite tracks that isn't on a CD. And probably would be one of my favorites ON a CD too. :up:

I don't know what the song means really. I never thought about it. I just always liked the main lyric about "i don't wanna see you smile" because that's how I felt about my ex moving on, I didn't want to know she was happy. I wasn't, so it makes it worse knowing they are. that's what I took from that song. YAY U2! :hyper:

catlhere said:
I LOVE this song. :love:

I don't know what the song means really. I never thought about it. I just always liked the main lyric about "i don't wanna see you smile" because that's how I felt about my ex moving on, I didn't want to know she was happy. I wasn't, so it makes it worse knowing they are. that's what I took from that song. YAY U2! :hyper:

Well that's a nice perspective to the lyrics... I had (and still have :lol: ) this situation with a friend in which well, we have problems and I try to talk them over (because she never would :rolleyes: ) and although she answers me and everything, when we talk, I just don't feel she's totally honest about what she says... hence: "I don't want to see you smile", like she's avoiding the problem, smiling when there is really no reason to do so :)

AND yeah, this song qshould have made it into the record... I love it :heart:, but maybe it's like "Sweetest Thing", you know that just didn't "fit" in it... although Smile would fit in Bomb, wouldn't it?? :hmm:

I think it's about Bono's father:

It's well known he was kind of a cynical man... He did not smile a lot. That's how he was..

But in the last moments of his life he might have smiled. And that could have worried Bono, because by seeing that he knew his dad stopped fighting and surrendered.

Anyone with me?

^ :yes: agree, that's a good interpretation to the lyrics... never though of that before!! :)

Ye you're right Vicky, I never really noticed, but yes the lyrics really good. I have no idea what the lyrics are really about either, could be about ex, friend or Bono's father, but when you think of it most U2 songs have many meanings so you could never really know.

Hey John! :wave: Yeah it's a shame some great songs never get the attention they recieve because they are not released as singles, etc :( But now we discovered the truth!!! :wink: So we can enjoy :D

Yeah I think the song has multiple meanings... as usual :rolleyes: :wink:

Definitely, totally agree :yes: it is a very powerful song and has a stong meaning of its own, a cool video to give it some new meaning would be great!!! :applaud: Now if we could contact U2... :hmm: :wink:

onyourkneesboy said:
I think it's about Bono's father:

It's well known he was kind of a cynical man... He did not smile a lot. That's how he was..

But in the last moments of his life he might have smiled. And that could have worried Bono, because by seeing that he knew his dad stopped fighting and surrendered.

Anyone with me?

Great song and your interpretation really makes sense, onyourkneesboy! I never had an idea about the meaning of the song. Maybe the band thought there was no clear direction with the lyrics & that's why it wasn't released???? It's very good though. Fast Cars would have also made a great single. Makes you wonder what they were thinking....

Last edited:
^ Yeah, Fast Cars is so good and I haven't got it in my HTDAAB CD :madspit: If they're gonna put a bonus track in some CDs, they should always do that with a crappy one I won't regret if I don't have :wink: Anyway, I recorded the song along with the Unreleased And Rare ones :happy: But still... having it on Bomb would have been great :drool:

Irishteen said:
You could always kidnap them when you go to see them :hmm:

:ohmy: Geez!! That's a great idea!! And I also have some time to make a plan... :hmm: MY MASTER PLAN!! :macdevil: Now can you help me with it?? Any ideas?? :D

oktobergirl said:
Um, How do I not know about this song? Can someone gmail it to me?

oktobergirl@gmail.com

Thanks!

I'm sending the song :) It's a HTDAAB outtake and comes in the Unreleased And Rare digital album that came out with The Complete U2, the iTunes thingy... I hate that they didn't release that album by itself :mad:

^ Wey hey hey!! Thanks!!! Yea, it's a lot already!! But you've got that x2 and more!! :lol: Thanks Shortyy!!! :D :dancing:

Well I have been here a month less than you.................................wait it is supposed to be the other way around

Back
Top Bottom