Small 'Pride' Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it "What more in the name of love" or is it "ONE more in the name of Love"?????

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I was confused about that as well many years ago.

smile.gif

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

Sicy's Website

Actually Sicy, I was too. In my younger days I though it was indeed "One more..."
Well...my bad.

I have actually always wondered who some of the people described in the song represent. "One man betrayed with a kiss" is obvious, but some of the others are not. "One man caught on a barbed wire fence"-I have always picyured this as someone from a concentration camp, like Maximillian Kolbe, or some one trying to cross the Berlin Wall."One man he resist"-could be any one of many peaceful protesters-Ghandi? "One man washed up on an empty beach"-I have wondered if this could be Jonah from the Bible-a man who protested to God and didn't have faith, only to find it was there all along. Any ideas?

Hey, it's either ONE or WHAT. Seriously, I've seen tapes where Bono hold up 1 finger and sings it, and definatley says one. So I guess it depends. PRIDE rules.

One man caught on a barbed wire fence always makes me think of Matthew Sheppard...I know this song was written way before that tragedy, but it still makes me sad.

Fishy <><

------------------

tonight the moon is a mirrorball
light flickers from across the hall
who'll catch the star when it falls...

Although the lyrics of the song say "what more" (and until this thread I always believed it was "what more"), I have just re-listened to my Popmart Sarajevo boot for clarification (I chose this one because Edge sings the chorus of Pride and I thought it might be clearer).

I can tell you most definitly, whether this holds true for the album version or not, Edge sings "one more in the name of love".

EUREKA! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! :)

I just listened to the UF version of Pride and have finally solved the what more/one more mystery.

The verse time he says it he says "one more".

The second time "what more".

I can't believe I didn't notice it before. Listen to the chorus and you'll hear it!

Okay, Bono and The Edge shifting from "What more" to "One more" makes sense, but I have a question. What do those sentences mean exactly? Is Bono referring to God again here when he sings "love"? What people like MLK would actually do more in the name of love (God)? :confused:

I've been reading and getting insight about other U2 songs, but "Pride", which is one U2 classic has the chorus which I've been trying to understand for some time.

dizzy said:
Okay, Bono and The Edge shifting from "What more" to "One more" makes sense, but I have a question. What do those sentences mean exactly? Is Bono referring to God again here when he sings "love"? What people like MLK would actually do more in the name of love (God)? :confused:

I admit I do like to think of it as "one more," with MLK as one in a string of people who God sends to bring about justice on earth. And given that hearing of it, I like the fact that you can't actually tell from the words that the main character is MLK and not Jesus until the last verse.

The "what more" version ( I guess my idea of this is influenced by SBS and 40) -- that one makes me hear it as a kind of negative question: "What more is going to have to be done for humanity to learn to love each other? To what further lengths will people like MLK have to go for us all to get it? How long do we have to wait?"

Just some thoughts....

Thanks!

mebythesea said:

I admit I do like to think of it as "one more," with MLK as one in a string of people who God sends to bring about justice on earth. And given that hearing of it, I like the fact that you can't actually tell from the words that the main character is MLK and not Jesus until the last verse.

The "what more" version ( I guess my idea of this is influenced by SBS and 40) -- that one makes me hear it as a kind of negative question: "What more is going to have to be done for humanity to learn to love each other? To what further lengths will people like MLK have to go for us all to get it? How long do we have to wait?"

Just some thoughts....

As always, mebythesea gives lovely insight. Thanks!

I do like "one more" than "what more" too, but either way, your explanations really helped me understand the song more.

Back
Top Bottom