Similarities between POP songs and other U2 favorites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Was wondering if you fellas had noticed any similarities between songs off of POP and other U2 favorites?

Like how people say Gone should've been on the Joshua Tree. I don't really see it, but people say it. Do you guys have any insight? I'll post some of mine after some of you go

Uh, people say Gone should have been on the Joshua Tree? Where did you get that nonsense. :huh: That song would never fit on that album.

Uh, people say Gone should have been on the Joshua Tree? Where did you get that nonsense. :huh: That song would never fit on that album.

Yeah. I'll try to find a link and post it. But I was browsing another forum and like ten people were talking about how Gone belonged on Joshua Tree. And I was like, "What?"

I'd like to see Mofo on October, DYFL on ATYCLB, and If You Wear That Velvet Dress on R&H, personally.

Was wondering if you fellas had noticed any similarities between songs off of POP and other U2 favorites?

Similarity? Not really, other than it is the same 4 lads that made POP who made BOY and ACHTUNG BABY... etc.

Like how people say Gone should've been on the Joshua Tree. I don't really see it, but people say it. Do you guys have any insight? I'll post some of mine after some of you go.

Errr.... umm... People are wrong? :lol:

That said, something like "Wake Up Dead Man" or "If God Will Send His Angels" could might have worked if they'd been written in 1986 instead of 1993 (Both were written during the Zooropa sessions) and if the arrangements (sonic-wise) fit more with the sound of the Joshua Tree album.

I see some similarities between Mofo and I Will Follow. They're both about Bono's mother, aren't they? The lyrics are somewhat similar if you listen to both of them. I feel like Gone sort of belongs on Achtung Baby, to be honest.

I see some similarities between Mofo and I Will Follow. They're both about Bono's mother, aren't they? The lyrics are somewhat similar if you listen to both of them. I feel like Gone sort of belongs on Achtung Baby, to be honest.

Lyrically songs from various era could fit on other albums. I agree that lyrically, "I Will Follow" and "Mofo" are similar in theme.

But judging by the sound of the songs... Nothing from POP seems like it would fit any of the 1980's albums.

I always thought Dirty Day should have been on Achtung Baby. It has that kind of vibe.

Well, since Zooropa is basically a b-sides album anyways, maybe it was recorded to be on it. :hmm:

I've seen this topic and the thoughts I had... Some days ago I listened to "Achtung baby sessions", and there I found track "Wake up, dead man". What do you think about it? Was it really written in 1990?:huh:

I've always thought New York sounds like it could have come from the Pop album. Especially Discotheque and New York remind me of each other.

Sonically POP is very unique. I can't see any of the songs fitting on any other album comfortably. MAYBE Last Night On Earth could slip into HTDAAB, but it's a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom