Short take on meaning of ATYCLB songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U24me

The Fly
It's so easy to write a book on what each U2 song means to you - the lyrics are often intriguing and fun to interpret. What about trying to sum up what you think the song means in one sentence? Or two max? I'll start with ATYCLB - and would be very interested in other's opinions.

BD - song about losing everything (even your life), but being totally happy and at peace with it.

STUCK - song about rising above hopelessness, worries, depression, etc. and carrying on in the face of the world.

ELEVATION - song about lift off, getting above the fray, elevating your soul.

WALK ON - song about the trials and tribulations of life on earth, which will soon be gone, so we should be looking past it to the next life.

KITE - song about dying, but also about death not being the end of things.

IN A LITTLE WHILE - song to Ali, asking her, and thanking her, for always waiting for Bono, who'll be back in a little while.

WILD HONEY - song about youth, wildness, perhaps a blissful relationship that does not stand the test of time, as one person matures and grows with time, but the other doesn't.

POE - cynical look at man's failed efforts to bring what should be common sense peace to the troubled areas of the world.

WILATW - my opinion only, but I think this song is a direct conversation from Bono to the Pope.

NY - self explanatory, but I pickup a degree of sarcasm from Bono about New York and the people who live their life to extremes in that city. He also admits a certain attraction to it, but bottom line, I think he's saying it's not so great a place.

GRACE - openly admitting belief in a higher power giving grace to us to make things right; to make things beautiful again. Mixes in lyrics about the girl - a pregnant Ali? - to also praise women as graceful and beautiful, too.

So, I'm sure that I'm way off in some areas. I get into each and every U2 song lyrically, and it's hard just to write a small opinion about each song, because I think there is a lot of meaning to much of what U2 sings about that goes way beyond the surface of things.

Everyone's interpretations will be different. Here are mine in the vaguest form possible. I don't want to get too personal, because most of you probably wouldn't care.

Beautiful Day: To quote that old song, "You've got to accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative". Then again it could just be a rock variation of Bobby McFerran's "Don't Worry Be Happy".

Stuck in a Moment: The pain and suffering that depression brings to everyone involved.

Elevation: There are so many sexual innuendos in this song. "A mole, diggin' in a hole" "...now goin' down,excavation", "You elevate my soul", " Think about it.

Walk On: Advice on leaving a relationship. Whenever I hear it I always picture two close friends who despite neverending love, must depart.

Kite: Similiar to Walk On in that it's a song about leaving or moving on with life. Very sentimental.

In A Little While: Love song for Ali, pure and simple.

Wild Honey: Two people who have been close since forever. One is proclaim their love for the other person's "wild" personality.

Heaven on Earth: Bono asks us to look at our hands and question our leadership in our governments.

When I Look at the World: I tend to think the singer is experessing their admiration for the object of the song.

New York: Start spreadin' the news, it the perfect tribute to that little ole town.

Grace: Substance presides over style.

Most of those interpretations pretty much hit the mark, Iwould think. Points I would like to add:

WILATW: He's wishing he could look at things from a different perspective for a change and see things from someone elses position.

NY: Expressing a deep fascination with the city, its variety and how it also impacts on his personal life - "gotta put the women and children first but you've got an unquenchable thirst for NY.."

I agree with most of your interpretations from ATYCLB, but I think that in WILATW, Bono is talking directly to god.
"With your holy book..."
He says the he doesn't do anything to help us, so that means he could do something.

But that's just my opinion
smile.gif

I agree 100% with last post. In fact I think that when he say " I see an expresion so clear and so true that changes the atmosphere when you walk to the room" is talking about his new moments seeking God during praying time.

Also If you recall "Grace" is in Christian religion the act of God becoming a man to rescue us from SIN (or shame or stain)

..removes the stain, she takes the blame..is a great song

Yeah the song Grace is all about 'grace' in the Christian sense. As usual Bono has masked his spiritual talk by hiding it behind the veil of a 'human' relationship, although this ones way too obvious.

We have many different interpretation for each song , but in this specific case I'd say that ( in my very own opinion of course ) in this last album Bono is trying to make a short version of world's issues and its consequences to people's life. I've noticed that when I first listened to the album. All the songs are about lifting up someone, they give u a " reason " to stand up and walk on. Actually that's pretty much what he claims
smile.gif

you know..its strange..i've had this album nearly 4 months and i've yet to review itor write a long, rambling thesis over its hidden meanings..totally unlike moi i must say
smile.gif
...but here goes atleast a short interp of some possible meanings of these songs...

BD- for some strange reason the part about there being no room.."no space to rent in this town" reminds me of the Christmas story...but i doubt that is what its about...I think I agree with Bono on this one..its a song about losing it all but discovering life's true meaning...

Elevation...i love this one. It reminds me of mysterious ways in the way it links sexual and spiritual love/worship. I and I in the sky is one of my fave lines on this album...to me this means I as in Bono and the english translation of Yahweh..I am...the music itself also has an elevating quality..one of my faves!

Walk On...kind of like streets...both talk about places that have to be believed to be seen, but this one focuses more on the strength gathered from that place..perseverance

Kite..i agree with the others...basically a song about mortality and realizing we need to let go of things...as well as recognizing that death is not the end

In a little while- I see this as both a love song to Ali as well as a comment on Bono's restlessness spiritually...a bit of an apology..."in a little while, i won't be blown by every breeze, friday night running and sunday on my knees"...this reminds me of a scripture verse in Matthew..Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house
upon a rock:[25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the Winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not:
for it was founded upon a rock....

Wild Honey...joyful song talking about the eternal nature of love..."did i know you, did i know you even then...but as we all know, Bono doesn't like writing straight romantic songs, so much like sweetest thing, it has a bittersweet twist..."but is there sweetness at all"

Peace on Earth...excellent juxtaposition of Christmas cliches and real life tragedies...i really like the christmas like chimes on this one

When I look at the World...I definitely see this as a conversation with God or Jesus...basically Bono asking why he isn't more like him and wondering how he can put up with the mess Bono sees our world in..without you I can't see what you see...great paraphrasing of a Christian truth about having to be "in him"...i love the yearning,soaring guitar part in this as well...one of my faves

New York...to me this is a song expressing the good and bad in wanderlust. I see it as a moral tale talking about how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement and freedom from expectations that a place like New York affords.....but also how this desire for experience can cause you to hurt people and go against things you believe in....being away for a year from a really conservative and religious environment..i really relate to this tune
smile.gif

Grace...basically an ode to spiritual grace wrapped up in a love song....sweet
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom