Sexual Messages in U2's Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do Miss America said:

I know you're afraid of sex, but accusing people of blasphemy is a little extreme don't you think?

Your funny, thats why I put an exlamation point at the end

Ellay said:

If it has no sexual connotations, why does the original mysterious ways video, the live performance through the whole zoo era, & the videoscreens on both the pop & elevation tours feature a bellydancer...

All pretty sexual if you ask me

(bar the dressed up bloke on the pop tour mind you)

read my post again, and you will know why

Miggy D said:

Did anyone else read this and think: "Great new line for Bono to use at the end of Vertigo?" I would laugh my ASS off:

'Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah I wanta FUCK YOU IN HAAAAAALF!"

:lmao:

I nearly passed out from laughing for a moment there....

what a great thread! hours of entertainment!

Desire is one of the main songs that bono writes about sex in, when he perform live he changes the lin "and the fever when im beside her" to "and the feeling when i'm inside her"

I think that has got 2 b one of the most sexual lines

bono_gal said:
Desire is one of the main songs that bono writes about sex in, when he perform live he changes the lin "and the fever when im beside her" to "and the feeling when i'm inside her"

I think that has got 2 b one of the most sexual lines

I agree...I like how he changes it to "inside her" live...it's sexier that way, and it was just meant to be that way. I mean, the song *is* called Desire!

btw, I'm listening to Mysterious Ways live from ZooTV sydney (audio only sadly), and all I can say is:drool: :drool: :drool: :bow:

sarahlou said:
Two songs I can't believe nobody has mentioned here...

MOFO "wanna f*** you wanna suck you...rock and roll" and some apparently quite naughty lyrics on Velvet Dress that didn't make it to the album version...can anyone shed a light on this?

oy! yah! Velvet Dress is my most favorite, um, *provocative* song ever. So if someone has additional "naughty" lyrics, please post!!! :drool:

What about Deep in the Heart or Salome... I:heart: these songs, they make me :combust:

I've said too much...more than a lot...

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
When you get older, you have 'thicker skin' as it takes more to make to shock you, it takes more to hurt your feelings, it takes more to move you because you've grown a thick skin and are used to it and you are a hard person because you've already been through a lot of hard things in life, as opposed to someone young who has a 'thin' skin and they would get scared, sad, etc... more easily. :rolleyes:

Also I would say that 99% of the time that when Bono sings the word kneel, he is talking about kneeling in prayer. :eyebrow:

Yes saltwater kisses could be about a kiss after oral sex, or it could also have a deeper meaning as a kiss from someone that you have loved but you are beginning to see that the love is gone even if the physical relationship is still there, so their kisses would be bitter to you.

U2 songs require a lot of thought. :wave:
Thats one of the reasons I :love: this band.

Ofcourse if Bono is singing about God or sex, I always enjoy the moaning, growls and orgasm sounds that come out of his mouth. :combust:

We got a winner!! :yes:

LOVE THIS THREAD

I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND JUST FOUND THIS THREAD WHICH I LOVE, YOU PEOPLE CRACK ME UP!

PERSONALLY I THINK THAT EVERYTHING THE MAN SINGS OOZES SEXUALITY, I COULD LISTEN TO HIM SING THE ALPHABET AND IT WOULD TURN ME ON.

I PARTICULARLY LOVE THE HEAVY BREATHING... MY HANDS ARE TIED (SEXY BREATH)...MY BODY BRUISED...

I LOVE THE NEW ENDING TO VERTIGO ABOUT F- ME IN HALF. YEA BABY!

Me and my friend got very bored one day and found something relating to sex in most of the songs on achtung baby

"Ready to duck, Ready to dive.....Ready for the push"

i think the whole of even better than the real thing is about sex

"did i disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth"

"My sorrows learned to swim, surrounding me, going down on me, spilling over the brim"

"I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love"

"She screams like an angel for your love"

"got to learn how to kneel on your knees boy"

"Your love is a secret that's been passed around"

"You can swollow or you can spit, you can throw it up or choke on it"

Anu said:
I only discovered this thread late last night after watching the DVD of U2 hits from the 1990s. To say it lightly, there's some pretty steamy stuff in there, especially Larry and Samantha Morton in Electrical Storm.
The whole question about whether a particular lyric is about sex *or* God misses the point. U2's music is about sex *and* god, god as sex, sex as god, and so on. This is where mysticim parts with religion, and Bono is a mystic like William Blake. Religion is pious, while mysticism is ecstatic. Religion is about laws, while mysticism is about the life-force.
All the kneeling reference are about prayer, and for the sake of our souls, why can't oral sex be a form of prayer? I know our respective spouses and partners and lovers would be pleased if we approached it that way!
Anu

I just read this (obviously have too much time on my hands today!) and I have to say it's fantastic. One of my all time favorite posts.

Maybe just because the "real thing" is used in so much advertisement. Maybe he was separating it from the loose way we call something the real thing. U2 is pretty savvy on advertisement.

BonosSaint said:
Maybe just because the "real thing" is used in so much advertisement. Maybe he was separating it from the loose way we call something the real thing. U2 is pretty savvy on advertisement.

You're pretty much spot on, it's about the promises advertising (the tv) gives you. (amongst other things) Everything you know is wrong.

It's about a superficial relationship, perhaps even a one nighter. He's looking at a woman only as an object of desire, nothing more.
"Slide on the surface of things"
"You're honey child to a swarm of bees, gonna blow right through you, like a breeze."
ie, here for a good time, not a long time. So in that regard, it's superficial, it's on the surface. She's an object, a product, he's after instant satisfaction, instant gratification. She's nothing more to him. It means so little to him that it's equatable to a craving for a Coke or some other superficial product and all the promises it advertises, a hit, a fix, satisfy an instant urge or craving, but she's even better than Coke. Coke's slogan in the 80's was "The Real Thing", but she's even better.....

hmm i listened to zooropa and i observed these:
Some Days Are Better Than Others:

if you change "days" to "d**ks" see what happens on the first stanza:

"Some d**ks are dry, some d**ks are leaky
Some d**ks come clean, other d**ks are sneaky.
Some d**ks take less, but most d**ks take more
Some slip through your fingers and on to the floor.
Some d**ks are quick, but most d**ks are speedy
Some d**ks use more force than is necessary.
Some d**ks just drop in on us.
Some d**ks are better than others."

The "Wild Horses" lyric is not sexual, I don't believe. The saltwater imagery is a reference to the other beach imagery shown in the line "a piece of glass left there on the beach".

And I do not believe that line in Kite is about an erection, considering the context of the song.

Some other songs do have sexual undertones though, like UTEOTW ("my sorrows had learned to swim, surrounding me, going down on me, spilling over the brim"), Mysterious Ways, Acrobat ("you can swallow, you can spit, you can tear it up or you can choke on it), Lady with the Spinning Head ("figure of eight, six and nine again").

THeres alot of references in U2 songs about getting on your knees. I always thought of it as praying to god or something like that.

I just watched U2: Live from Slane Castle again last night. During 'Desire' we all know how Bono often changes the lyrics to 'the fever when I'm inside her.'

I'm not sure, but I thought I heard another change while watching the Desire from Slane Castle. It sounds like he's saying 'a promise in a year of erection' as opposed to 'collectoin.'

Am I hearing things? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom