Questions about Bullet the blue sky and One tree hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
"Jacob wrestled the angel and the angel was overcome"

- who is Jacob here?

"Jara sang his song a weapon, in the hands of love"

- who is Jara?

U2girl said:
"Jacob wrestled the angel and the angel was overcome"

- who is Jacob here?

"Jara sang his song a weapon, in the hands of love"

- who is Jara?

I can be wrong - and probably I am :D - but I always thought that this Jacob who wrestled with an angel in the desert would be meant. I think that guy was called Jacob, though. In that story I mean, he wrestled with an old man all night long, but in the end it turned out ot be God and he couldn't win against him. Or was that Jesus who wrestled with the old man?! :confused: The angel was overcome, is therefore a compariason with all the bad things that happened in El Salvador, because there was no God anymore.
And the second one - I'm surer with this one: That Jara was a fighter for freedom and did his job as a musician and then was killed because of doing things against the government of that certain country where he lived.....I don't know where anymore........but I read that somewhere............he sang his song a weapon in the hands of love, because he didn't fought back with sticks, but did it in a peaceful way.
K, and now the right solution from somebody else. :D

Jacob is a reference to the Jacob of the Bible who wrestled with God.

Jara was, I believe, a Peruvian who wrote protest songs against the government.

If I remember correctly, they cut his hands off and made him "play" his guitar before they killed him.

("hands of love" reference)

Re: Re: Re: Questions about Bullet the blue sky and One tree hill

Lilly said:

note: i love posts that start like this. ;)

You do? :lol:

Hey, according to One Tree Still, I was right! *jumps* *runs in circles* *to sum it up: :happy:*

Genesis 32:24-30

24: And Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day.
25: When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and Jacob's thigh was put out of joint as he wrestled with him.
26: Then he said, "Let me go, for the day is breaking." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me."
27: And he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob."
28: Then he said, "Your name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."
29: Then Jacob asked him, "Tell me, I pray, your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And there he blessed him.
30: So Jacob called the name of the place Peni'el, saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved."

paxetaurora said:
28: Then he said, "Your name shall no more be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed."

Hmmm.....so in the Bible the angel was overcome as well? So I guess the idea is that even God, the supreme benevolent being, can be beaten by humans and that that must've been the case in El Salvador where ill-intentioned humans were able to overcome God's love and do evil things.

Re: Re: Questions about Bullet the blue sky and One tree hill

FallingStar said:

I can be wrong - and probably I am :D - but I always thought that this Jacob who wrestled with an angel in the desert would be meant. I think that guy was called Jacob, though. In that story I mean, he wrestled with an old man all night long, but in the end it turned out ot be God and he couldn't win against him. Or was that Jesus who wrestled with the old man?! :confused: The angel was overcome, is therefore a compariason with all the bad things that happened in El Salvador, because there was no God anymore.
And the second one - I'm surer with this one: That Jara was a fighter for freedom and did his job as a musician and then was killed because of doing things against the government of that certain country where he lived.....I don't know where anymore........but I read that somewhere............he sang his song a weapon in the hands of love, because he didn't fought back with sticks, but did it in a peaceful way.
K, and now the right solution from somebody else. :D
FallingStar that was soooo funny.

Hello... this is my first post to this forum and I hope I'm not stepping over any lines by responding without an introduction. (I introduced myself on two other threads, honest! :))

I found a page that sums up the life of Victor Jara, a Chilean protest singer who supported the presidency of Salvador Allende. Unfortunately, I haven't posted enough to be allowed to post a URL, so here's a summary: After the military staged a coup and murdered Allende, Jara was captured by the military and killed in 1973. The author of the page notes that his hands are often said to have been chopped off but may have been broken instead. It also notes that they taunted him by asking him to play and sing for them. Reportedly, he did so, and beautifully.

It's pretty easy to find information on him on Google, if anyone wants to read more.

British singer/songwriter Billy Bragg also mentions Victor Jara.

Sorry for all the geekery, but this sort of thing interests me and perhaps others as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom