Question about Desire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
"i'm like a preacher stealing hearts at a travelling show"

Does anyone else think this may have been Bono's way of self-mocking?
"preacher" being a hint at his religious influence in his lyrics (kind of taking a punch back at the critics who resent religios/political motives U2 so often uses in their career),
"stealing hearts" being about singers/rock stars idolized - and how singer not necessarily want/deserve/expect that but understand it's just the way it is,
and "a travelling show" being a refernce to a musical tour?

I've always thought of that line as an allusion to himself or the band as a whole. I haven't considered it self-mocking, but it could be!

Interesting interpretation, but I don't really seeing it fitting with the rest of the song. I've always seen this song about negative desires, false gods. Money, drugs, power, etc. The line about preacher stealin hearts at the travelin show, for the love of money...I always saw that as a reference to those Jim Baker types whos desire was money driven and not gospel driven.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've always seen this song about negative desires, false gods. Money, drugs, power, etc. The line about preacher stealin hearts at the travelin show, for the love of money...I always saw that as a reference to those Jim Baker types whos desire was money driven and not gospel driven.

I think you're right, BonoVoxSupastar.

Back
Top Bottom