No idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you look hard enough, someone on the net will have some idea about what practically all of them mean...
smile.gif
I know what you mean though...
*thinks* I've heard other people's ideas about many of their songs, but I dunno if I agree with some of them.
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is one I have no idea about.. I'm just fairly sure it isn't just about a girl having her dad pay for a dent in the car.
*thinks more* Why did I assume it was a girl? I don't remember there being a mention of gender in the song... but there's no way I can imagine it being a boy. Oh well.
That's the one that springs most readily to mind, in any case.

I'm still confused about "Last Night On Earth". It is especially confusing if you try to figure out its meaning from watching the video. It's really weird and seems to have a complicated layer of metaphors, which I'm having trouble sifting through.

I hardly know any of U2's music videos, besides the ones shown on the Achtung Baby video. I guess they'd make a difference on how I interpreted stuff... Hmm.

Daddy's Gonna Pay.. is about upper-class issues for sure -- upper class drug abuse is a side of it I never considered; interesting. It speaks about somebody who knows that their "daddy" will take care of their problems "daddy's with you wherever you are".. "you know everyone in the world, but you feel alone" sounds almost like a unfulfilled brat or something.. -- the no worries daddy's got it type of thing
biggrin.gif

I get the feeling that Daddys... is a pretty serious song. Think of God/Jesus in the place of "Daddy" and you might see what I mean.

"Daddy gives you as much as you can take...", maybe temptation, worldly goods etc

"Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car..."
, maybe the crashed car is sin evil and the payment is Jesus' death on the cross for all of our sins...

The song itself seems to be sung in an almost sneering tone about someone who is going through life, not worried about the wrong they do because they are sure they will get away with it in the end, because God's way is salvation.

And as a Catholic myself who is quite cynical about the concept of confession... the total forgiveness of sins if you just tell them to a priest and "repent"... I almost see tha song as a parody of this concept. That you can do absolutely whatever you want and it will be alright because you can be forgiven and God will forget it all in a flash.

I could analyse the song for you all lyric by lyric, but I think I'll save that for another day! In fact I'm thinking of starting a Zooropa discussion topic because I want to go through every single song and give my interpretation. To me Zooropa is by far the most cohesive album U2 have produced but many people can't see it. To me it's all about being a star,charting both the trashy highs and the deep dark lows...

Daddy's to me definitely sounds as if it is referring to drug abuse. "Daddy" could be a direct reference to any drug (ie. heroin) when you look at lines such as:

"Daddy won't let you weep
Daddy won't let you ache
Daddy gives you as much as you can take"

Then later;
"Daddy's with you wherever you are
Daddy's a comfort
Daddy's your best friend
Daddy'll hold your hand right up till the end"

The drug theme makes sense in this context I think. As always though, U2 lyrics are always up to the interpretation of the individual.
smile.gif

------------------
"Baby a dangerous idea, that almost makes sense..."

Well Alisaura,
Daddy's Gonna Pay is about upper-class drug abuse I believe. "Butterfly kisses up and down your wrist". More on the addiction theme.
My song that I have no idea what it's about would have to be one of the two mentioned. Lemon has some cool sentiments, but it's hard to say what the song is "about".

And - as always - U2 lyrics seam to be about two different things at the same time.
I always favoured the interpretation used by MrBTH.
Then again you can't deny the fact that more than once the lyrics hint at drug abuse.
So it maybe has something to do with the way some people abuse God. Read what MrBTH said about confession and you'll know what I mean.
And maybe Bono looks at drug abuse as a sin against God ?

By the way, analysing Zooropa, great idea. It's my secong favourite U2 album, mainly because of it's lyrics and the before mentioned cohesiveness.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I have always wondered about the latin lyrics in Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk/Korova 1; where do they come from? I have read the english translation, but I'm still clueless about their origin, did Bono came up with those?

Daddy has also been said to be about Paul McGuinness.

Hes their daddy fixing all the stuff ups.

You want confusion :
"you know you're chewing bubblegum, you know what that is but you still want some, you just cant get enough fo that lovey dovie stuff"

zooropamanda, I once read somewhere that those lyrics meant the influence that pop music has on people. I think that it was Adam who said something about how there is a demand for that kind of music, that people sort of live with those kind of sounds in the background.... On a certain level, it makes sense. You know what that is but you still want some, ironic since we know half of it is trash but still those artists are getting their albums at #1.

Maybe it is a bit of a stretch, though.
smile.gif

About the Latin lyrics of "Korova 1", I don't really know (beyond the Apocalyptic imagery and perhaps a reference or two to the Revelation), but it's something I've always wondered about, too.

"The Electric Co." is a reference to some kind of electrotherapy used on the mentally ill. I remember that Into the Heart goes into greater detail, but I don't have a copy with me... can anyone help me out on this one?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

sure bubba, i'll take it from there
smile.gif

it says in 'into the heart' that a quick glance at this song and you'd scarcely get a sense of what it is about.. ironic eh?
smile.gif

it says that electric shock treatment was used frequently in St. Brendan's psychiatric hospital. Bono says that "it was very sad".. they'd whack somebody with an electric shock and have them back on the streets, but the treatment didn't last long -- so there were those few people who got 'the treatment' and everyond knew who they were -- Bono says this song carries the anger that roots from this treatment; he rages against the doctors who took on themselves the power to mess with metally distrubed people's brains.. medications such as protac and valium are now given rather than this electric shock.. so this song is really about anger
smile.gif

About Alex.........../Korova 1

I think it refers to 'A Clockwork orange', the book by Anthony Burgess. At least the title makes this clear. As in the book, the main character Alex is used to drink loads of drugged milk (moloko), after which he starts to perform various acts of violence with his friends.
Later on he's been given a special kind of treatment for stopping this violence. During this treatment, which totally wrecks him, he has to listen to Beethoven's ninth (the 'trumpet'). I think the lyrics are about that treatment.
Maybe I'm totally wrong with my interpretation, but do read the book or see the movie, they're both great i think.

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

It is indeed a reference to 'A Clockwork Orange'.. U2 was asked to come up with a song for the theatrical play, and in the end it wasn't used, so U2 took bits and pieces from what they had come up with and made 'alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk' -- very interesting i think
smile.gif

Niall Stokes talks about Lemon in "Into the Heart" . . . LEMON IS A SONG ABOUT BONO's MOTHER, whom passed away when he was young . . . Bono found an old hoome video of his mother and father when they were younger at some airport, and Bono's mother is wearing this lemon coloured dress, the video and the image have haunted him and this was a bit of a catharsis for him . . .

"through light projected, he can see himself up close"

BTW: "A Clockwork Orange" is a must see/read

Has anyone of you have any idea what Electric Co. is about, 'cause i just don't seem to be able to figure that out.....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

getting back to "daddy's gonna pay...":
I'm really surprised to hear the interpretations you guys have come up with. I always thought, or assumed, that it was about incest, a girl being molested by her father. I mean, just look at the lyrics:

'daddy gives you as much as you can take'
'butterfly kisses up and down your wrist'
'when you see daddy coming you're licking your lip/ nails bitten down to the quick'
'you cry for mama, but daddy's right along'

has anyone else ever considered this possibility? or have I been wrong for 7-odd years???
Mermaid
smile.gif

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

and for probably the wrongest of theories:
I always felt it was bono talking to himself (- it could be the image of him getting ready as mcphisto in the sydney tape) because of the fact that bono always had his dad around but never his mom who he really longed for

the eeriest thing is that i was playing this song when i first heard the news of Lady Di's car crash

I don't think you're wrong, Mermaid, but I've always seen it as an insinuation more than a legitimate part of the song -- just like "Discotheque" has a shade of drug abuse, but I think it ultimately comes back to "looking for love in all the wrong places."

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Back
Top Bottom