No he haven't found what he was looking for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Rose

The Fly
Hello guys,
smile.gif

I am a U2 fan since I was born, I guess. Just like everybody else around here...
I have a curious soul and a wild and mystic heart, since I'm always trying to find different meanings behind the lyrics, something different than what most of the people can say about a song. Bono is amazing, his lyrics are great, I can't discuss that. It's a fact.
But after all these years listening to U2 songs every single day of my life, I have this question in my heart: Has he found what he were looking for?

My opinion? He hasn't. He's found a lot of beauty and glory and so many good things to live for, but this "longing" that has filled U2 lyrics all this time is not finished yet.
Hey, I am not saying the guy(s) is not happy. They do have a great life. They are simple and successful. Fact. But there's something about Bono that I can never stop thinking about: the way his lyrics seem to fit each other, the deep way he sings the tunes... so loud and clear. can't be that simple! Has to be something!

rolleyes.gif

So what do you guys think?
Is he being true, putting his heart and soul in his lyrics, singing things like "I can't wait any longer" and "I wonder what's gonna happen to you/you wonder what's happenned to me" based on real feelings (ATYCLB is full of this "longing" filling as JT & AB),
or
he's just being an artist, writing the songs based on somebody else's lives, dreams, different sources?

(*Desert Rose wonders why she's spending such a long time typing if she's sick and has a terrible headache! Is that the reason for wondering so much today?*)
smile.gif

------------------
Desert Rose

It?s not why you?re running
It?s where you?re going
It?s not what you?re dreaming
But what you?re gonna do

It?s not where you?re born
It?s where you belong
It?s not how weak
but what will make you strong..."

Very interesting post Desert Rose.

First of all, I believe that Bono will ne ver find what he's looking for, because hwe will never stop looking for what he's looking for. And yes, the longing will always be there, and I most definitely think that everything, I mean everything he writes is personal and straight from the heart. That would explain the passion and fire in his voice.

And its also great that these songs all seem to fit into this category. This longing and searching. And its also great that the interpretation is limitless. That will never change.

About ATYCLB, I think these are some of his best lyrics. I have heard some say that this album has the most literal lyrics of Bono's career, and that they are so called "cheesy." Well, I disagree completely because I think as a writer, Bono is at his best right now in his career. I think these words are some of the most personal and beautiful expressions he has ever created. Look at "Beautiful Day" for instance, or even "Stuck" telling us about someone who "filled the night with fireworks." These lyrics are filled with Imagery.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

hey thanks for your post, tackleberry!
That's what I was trying to say about ATYCLB... that lyrics are great!

I heard someone saying that "having is the end of longing", but for me the more he has, the more he tries to find...
wink.gif

Rosa

I also think he haven?t found it. He is a wanderer spirit, he has always been that way. I?m reading a book about U2 (another one!) whit a lot of info on their childhood, the way they grew up, their influences, etc. When you read about him, as a child and thru his adolescence, you realise that he has never been an ordinary person, always seeking for something further, thirsty about life and the unknown. This longing has always been part of his persona and it will always be.

He found the way to express himself thru music, but he hasn?t found what he?s looking for, thank God, good for us.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom