NLOH live verus Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watch_more_tv

The Fly
Is it just me or does the album version (I didn't buy the cd and am one of the bad people that only have original leaked mp3s.... tsk tsk tsk - LORD knows U2 have enough of my money already.... but that is beside the point)

where Bono sings:
infinity is a great place to start

on the album it sounds like they made the word 'again' very VERY faint

its faint to the point you can barely tell something is there.... but that live version posted on youtube clearly has him sing the word 'again' at the end of this

I really prefer it with the word 'again'...... either way great song.

Appologies if this has been posted already :)

Er, so you've been a member of a U2 forum since 2000 and you have stolen the new album you now want to discuss? :sad:

Go buy the album and then come back to talk. Until then, you're just a thief

I love U2 - and really like this album (I bought the remastered JT instead on the day it came out)

but

I (and I know this has been discussed in at least one other thread here) am more than a little annoyed at Bono for seeming to take a do as I say not as I do asking money from me (through my government) when he seems to do whatever it takes to avoid paying his share:

Bono Criticizes Canadian Government
Apr 26, 2005

Bono, lead singer for U2, took the Canadian government to task in a radio interview, citing lagging contributions to international aid.

Although U2’s on tour to support its most recent, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Interscope) (read Aversion’s review), the outspoken rocker used his air time to level critique at Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin in a Canadian Broadcasting Company interview. Martin hasn’t increased Canada’s aid contribution contributions to match the country’s growing GNP, as he previously promised.

Bono gave the number to Martin’s office to listeners and urged them to call and complain.

Fast-forward to 2006 and he does something that really seems to be against what he is asking of me:

Dublin, Ireland - The band that loves to rail against global corporate malfeasance is being criticized at home over allegations of tax dodging.

U2, whose new album, "No Line on the Horizon," is being released Tuesday in the United States, has lately found itself the focus of protests in Dublin over global tax avoidance.

The controversy stems from 2006, when the band moved its publishing company to the Netherlands to avoid a potential multi-million-euro tax bill after the Irish government capped artists' tax-free earnings at €250,000 ($315,000). By basing its operations in Amsterdam, U2 is only liable for a nominal royalty tax.

"U2 might publicly support development aid to Africa, but it is taking advantage of the same tax avoidance schemes that multinational companies use to deprive developing countries of important revenue," says Hans Zomer, director of Dóchas, an association of Irish development organizations. A report by Christian Aid, titled "Death and Taxes," estimates that developing countries lose $160 billion per year through multinational corporations' shifting of profits to avoid tax.

I understand that this is a business decision that affects all of U2 - not just Bono. But if he is going to ask COUNTRIES to give more, why shouldn't he have resisted and had U2 not move their business to avoid paying taxes that go to the causes he is asking others to give more to?

No it should not become a thread about piracy.

Unless you actually OWN legal copies of every music file you have on your hdd, cd, dvd or whatever medium in your possesion you are a pirate.

No one is that 'clean' that I know of.

But if it does degenerate into one - I have often owndered what the legal standing is of bootleg concerts is? you can't bring recorders into the venue, so are they as such illegal?

So much misinformation.
Agreed,

Using that whole BULLSHIT article about 'tax avoidance' to justify you not buying an album is ridiculous. Just say you're not a huge fan and you're fine, but don't bring reasons in that aren't real. I'm NOT going into the whole tax thing again but it's bullshit to blame a band for the fact that the press misinform an entire country.

Go read up on the issue and buy the album. Then we discuss the songs.

I am a big fan - no doubt about it

I've seen them 5 times in concert - zootv at cne on up to elevation at Hamilton's Copps coliseum

I own as many U2 cds/dvds as anyone else (and a ton of bootlegs bought at import cd stores in the 1990s that cost an arm and a leg.........)

What 'issue' is there to read up about?

He asks others to sacrifice more in terms of aid
then
He makes a 'business' decision to not have to pay his portion in taxes

Great, just great

What part of this is difficult to get? He is asking for more and paying less.

Does that justify me not buying their newest cd? I'm guessing to you, no. But to me yes.

I would rather donate the money (and I donate enough each year) to charities close to home.

What 'issue' is there to read up about?

He asks others to sacrifice more in terms of aid
then
He makes a 'business' decision to not have to pay his portion in taxes

Great, just great

What part of this is difficult to get? He is asking for more and paying less.

Does that justify me not buying their newest cd? I'm guessing to you, no. But to me yes.

I would rather donate the money (and I donate enough each year) to charities close to home.

No, the band moved a PORTION of their income to a country that gives a bigger percentage of their taxes to Africa.

How is he paying less? He's still paying taxes, plus his out of pocket is much bigger than most...

What's so difficult to get?

MIS INFORMATION!!!

No, the band moved a PORTION of their income to a country that gives a bigger percentage of their taxes to Africa.

How is he paying less? He's still paying taxes, plus his out of pocket is much bigger than most...

MIS INFORMATION!!!

That.

They still pay MILLIONS of tax in Ireland. ONLY THE FUCKING ROYALTIES are moved to Holland, one of the FEW countries that actually gives money to africa according to the Millennium goals, 0.7%. And that's because Ireland decided to DOUBLE the tax on royalties. So they are STILL paying millions of tax in Ireland, they LIVE there, they eat there and raise their children there.
The Irish people have NOTHING to complain about imo.

MIS INFORMATION!!!

Watch_more_TV, you should be ashamed to give everyone wrong impression
about Bono when actually he is trying to help the Africans by moving to
Nederlands. I think you are t-r-o-l-l-i-n-g.

Thanks, BonoVoxSupastar for giving correct information.

Back
Top Bottom