New Year's Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I know there is a story behind the lyrics of New Year's Day but i dont know what it is -- something about Poland or something? my ignorance is a bit embarassing :reject:

I found this about the Solidarity movement. If you're creative enough you can kind of relate some parts of New Year's Day to it.

"We must be courageous but also reasonable. The world admires us for walking a tightrope without falling off. It asks us to keep our balance." ~ Lech Walesa

Polish political leader Lech Walesa (1943-) was born on this day (29th September) in Popowo, north of Warsaw, the son of peasant farmers. He attended trade school and worked as a shipyard electrician where he became a union activist.

"Everyone wants a voice in human freedom. There's a fire burning inside all of us," he once said.

In 1980, the charismatic Walesa founded Solidarity, an organization of 50 Polish trade unions, that became the first independent, autonomous union in the Communist world. Within months, the movement faced government opposition which eventualy led to martial law and Walesa's brief imprisonment. In 1982, Poland outlawed Solidarity.

"Power is only important as an instrument for service to the powerless," he said and continued to work for individualism and freedom. "Words are plentiful, but deeds are precious," he said.

Walesa won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983 for working for human rights through negotiation and peace. He dedicated the award to the 10 million members of the outlawed Solidarity movement. "We crave for justice, and that is why we are so persistent in the struggle for our right," he said.

Solidarity was once again recognized in 1989; Walesa's commitment helped end communism in Eastern Europe. The passionately patriotic leader was elected president of his country in 1990 and served until 1995.

About freedom, he said, "Freedom may be the soul of humanity, but often you have to struggle to prove it."

A historical hero and inspiration to the power of mankind, Walesa once explained, "Each of us individually does not count much. But together we are the strength of the millions who constitute Solidarity."

The parts of the song I found most relevant were:
"Under a blood-red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few,
The newspapers say, say, say it's true
And we can break through,
Though torn in two, we can be one."

"And so we are told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage."

Apart from that, I noticed in the first verse, Bono sings "A world in white gets underway," while the second verse begins with, "Under a blood-red sky."
Maybe just a coincidence, but white and red are the colours of the Polish flag.

Maybe someone Polish should take over. I don't really have much authority on the matter. :shrug:

Song was inspired by Lech Walesa - leader of Solidarity movement. He was sent to prison in 1981. It was cold winter - December - I think the words relate to that. Check the lyric from the U.S. Remix:

"Stone cold night
On a cold stone floor
A cross of light
On a prison door"

I think this song is about solitude. Being away from your family and your friends. Only strangers and enemies around.

After a year Walesa was released form prison and in 1983 he came back to work and to Solidarity but this time it was undercover. Also, it was the time when the single was released :) Some people like to think this wasn't coincidence, but I'm rather sceptical on this.

I hope I explained. Sorry for my English, but I'm just a Polish girl :wink:

:) Thanks. I always think that I make 1000 mistakes and no one can understand what I'm saying :huh: :wink:

Now I gotta put it on....

I've always wondered, why did they cut off a few verses when they put NYD on the BEst of 1980 album? The WAR version is great.....?

I don't get it.

Poland promised changes that would take effect on jan. 1, but nothing happened thus, "nothing changes on new years day"

Back
Top Bottom