Native Son vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I might be in the minority here, but I really think Native Son is a better song than Vertigo.

It is clearly a working version of the song, but I really love the lyrics and think that if they brought it to fruition it would have been a better song than Vertigo. (maybe not as successful in sales)

I just love the riff, and when put to serious lyrics it is a great song - when pu to the Vertigo lyrics, it is really about nothing.

Anyone else dig the Native Son version?

To be honest, Native Son feels like a more complete version of Vertigo. I don't think that U2 thought that it was a bad song, they probably just changed it to make it a better single. Native Son has more layers on it, with a couple of weird sounds that actually reminds you of Brian Eno even if he had nothing to do with HTDAAB at all. The vocal-performance in Native Son is IMO much better than in Vertigo, I think. Also, the bridge and execution towards the end of the song feels better and I love the added claps that is on the part just before the long "Free" that is in Native Son.

If I were to say anything that's better on Vertigo, that's probably the chorus. The "Hello hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo" is IMO a bit catchier.

The lyrics are clearly better. The only argument I've heard is that Native Son could not work in any way as a single, and Vertigo, love it or hate it, WAS a very memorable song for U2. Which makes some sense.

Still, Native Son has better lyrics, and I like the middle 8 on Native Son better.

I like Native Son, but I don't think it really worked. The lyrical content didn't suit the music, I just don't think they wanted to sing that every night.

I think Vertigo could have been a really good song if the lyric was thought out a bit more. I have to disagree with the OP I don't think the lyric to Vertigo is about temptation it was just ruin by the Spanish and the "hello hello"s...

I like Native Son more as far as the lyrics are concerned, but it wouldn't have worked as a single the way Vertigo did. Vertigo was the perfect live song. And Bono said he didn't want to sing the lyrics to Native Son.

i like vertigo and native son, but native son is hard to judge because it isn't finished. the actual lyrics are better, but sound forced and cumbersome. they don't seem to go with the music. a lot of the background noises and layers sounds straight out of the achtung baby demos. not sure what song, but i always thought native son sounds live an early 90's demo.

its interesting that those who like native son better, because its not quite as straight forward seem to like NLOTH 2 better. NLOTH 2 is much more like vertigo, than native son by comparison. I think of nloth2 as the dumb rock version (the NO LINE! part at the end is as dumb as anything in vertigo), compared to the much more layered and interesting nloth. nloth is a better rock song (and i think it will show live) because of the restraint at the beginning. you get a hint of how great it will be live in the dublin studio performance.

native son is great, for certs.

nloth 2 is better than nloth, but unlike vertigo/native son, nloth is also several shades of awesome.

:up: Agreed on both.

I don't think the OP is in the minority here, as far as I'm aware most people prefer Native Son over Vertigo. It's quite a complex song and it's great, but yeah, Vertigo makes a better single. And I think it was Edge who said he wouldn't be able to play/sing this every night because of the heavy topic.

I love both versions, but the bass in NLOTH2 just blows my brain off. I can't believe it's Adam playing it!

I always reckoned the Native Son lyrics felt awfully contrived and didn't fit in with the music at all
when Vertigo was released it was the first time I was quite disappointed
but to me it still feels superior over Native Son

NLOTH II makes me sad
deleted it though

I always reckoned the Native Son lyrics felt awfully contrived and didn't fit in with the music at all

NLOTH II makes me sad
deleted it though

We discussed this during the weekend. :p
I agree, also with those saying that while Native Son sounds promising, it's not there (yet). It's not a finished song.

I don't agree with your opinion on NLOTH 2 though. While I've finally come to the conclusion that I prefer the album version, it was a toss-up for a while. So NLOTH 2 is marginally less good than the album version. I like both versions. :happy:

I have never heard of NLOTH2. Where can I get it?

I fully agree Native Son is definitely not a single, but I love the chorus and really hate the contrived Spanish stuff in Vertigo.

It's the bside to the Get On Your Boots single, can be found in the iTunes musicstore or a recordstore that still sells singles.

Oh - but NLOTH (2) is not available for purchase through iTunes.

Would anyone be willing to send it to me as a digital file?

Many thanks in advance.

Musically, I like the directness of Vertigo. It was probably difficult for Edge to lose those little squiggly lead lines over the main riff, but I think it was the right choice. I appreciate the fact that most of Vertigo is just one guitar part.

NLOTH II makes me sad
deleted it though

True.

I thought "wow, why didn't this make the cut?" with NLOTH2. But the album version is superior, and a great opener for the album.

I agree with the poster who said that Native Son is promising, but not finished, and I also think that some of the lyrics in this song are really good, but not very suitable to be sung day after day, I like Vertigo too, in fact I like it quite a lot, I know it's not a popular opinion here, I love its energy and the guitar, I know the Spanish lines may seem cheesy to some of you, but when your favourite band sings in your mother tongue, well.. it does sound different.

NLOTH and NLOTH 2 are just two versions of the same complete song, if I had to listen to it isolated, maybe I would prefer NLOTH 2, it sounds fresher and more direct to me, but I think that NLOTH is more coherent within the album, so they made the right choices, both versions are really good.

I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I just don't get why people think a demo is better than the final product. Native Son is a clumsy unfinished version of Vertigo without a real hook. Not that Vertigo is the best U2 song ever, but it rocked in the end whether you think the lyrics suck or not. I was really digging Vertigo but eventually got tired of hearing it. Native Son never did much for me, though I find it interesting hearing how Vertigo began.

Again, opinions vary - totally understand. But it makes me wonder if people like Native Son more because they've become so sick of Vertigo after initially liking it.

I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I just don't get why people think a demo is better than the final product. Native Son is a clumsy unfinished version of Vertigo without a real hook. Not that Vertigo is the best U2 song ever, but it rocked in the end whether you think the lyrics suck or not. I was really digging Vertigo but eventually got tired of hearing it. Native Son never did much for me, though I find it interesting hearing how Vertigo began.

Again, opinions vary - totally understand. But it makes me wonder if people like Native Son more because they've become so sick of Vertigo after initially liking it.

I think that Native Son just seems a little catchy with all the different guitar parts and a much different bridge than Vertigo. I know I never get tired of Vertigo, in fact I play it all the time. I think we who like Native Son better just like the different feel that Native Son (or maybe I'm just stating how I feel about this song) brings to the table (if that makes any sense). I'm not trying to go against what you're saying though. Some people like some stuff better than others.

They are both mediocre songs, but Native Son is a little better. Vertigo only sounds good to me when i'm drunk. It's a drinking song. Native Son is somewhat impressive with the subject matter, but at the end of the day...i think the music just isn't all that great! They should've just scrapped the piece of music altogether.

i think the music just isn't all that great! They should've just scrapped the piece of music altogether.

I actually agree, but I think it was U2 just wanting to write a "dumb" rock song for once... Every single one of there contemporaries have done it, I think they just wanted to see how it felt... I also think that's why they dropped NS I think they knew it just a "dumb" rock song. If you think about it, I can't think of any time in their career when they even played that type of straight forward power chord type of song, not even a cover... Hopefully they got it out of their system.

I think the Native Son "Free" part is better than the "all of this can be yours" part and the lyrics in Native Son are so superior it's kind of a joke.

I'd do it. Can I just send it as MP3 or do I have to send a link to a file hosting site? I've never sent MP3's before BTW if anyone thinks I'm crazy.

I sent you a private message here with my email address to send to.

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom