Most lyrically brillant U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meital said:
Until the end of the world -

I think it's brilliant because you can understand the meanning of the song only after hearing it at least twice.
Because at the end of the song there is a big surprise :
" You said you would wait untill the end of the world "

You know, I like Until The End Of The World alot, but there is something about that last line that really triggers an odd thought process in my mind. It's a subliminal thing, but at times, I just sit and listen to that one line of the song over and over and over again. It captivates me in a way I can't describe.

So Cruel

"Her skin is pale like God's only dove
"Screams like an angel for your love
"And then she makes you watch her from above
"And you need her like a drug...
"Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
"The night is bleeding like a cup
"Between the horses of love and lust, we are trampled
"Underfoot."

Achingly beautiful.

nathan1977 said:
So Cruel

"Her skin is pale like God's only dove
"Screams like an angel for your love
"And then she makes you watch her from above
"And you need her like a drug...
"Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
"The night is bleeding like a cup
"Between the horses of love and lust, we are trampled
"Underfoot."

Achingly beautiful.

Abso-fucking-lutely agree! :up:

"Walk On" made me cry when I first heard it. Not in a sad way, but you know when you hear or read something that's absolutely beautiful, the tears just can't help but trickle down your face. The words bring out the emotion in you, and at the time I was having a rough time.

And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

Walk on, walk on
What you got they can’t steal it
No they can’t even feel it
Walk on, walk on...
Stay safe tonight

1. One Tree Hill
2. So Cruel
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. MLK or Walk On

but my fav. must be one tree hill for all time, because the first time i listened to the song i was so moved and i got chills down my spine. not because of the guitars and whatnot, but because of the lyrics. :)

".. and when it's rainin', rainin' hard
that's when the rain will break a heart.."

that part gave me this endless chill for some reason. :shrug:

finally someone mentained So Cruel. for me, thats a no-brainer. best written song i have ever heard period.

runners up- Please, Gone, wild horses

I think that Sometimes you cant make it on your own has some of the most touching lyrics....."if we werent so alike you'd like me a whole lot more" thats the perfect explanation to a father-son relationship.

Walk On is also lyrically brilliant. Bono has an amazing talent

The Unforgettable Fire

"And if the mountain should crumble,

or disappear into the sea,

not a tear, no not I"

bono_gal said:
I think that Sometimes you cant make it on your own has some of the most touching lyrics....."if we werent so alike you'd like me a whole lot more" thats the perfect explanation to a father-son relationship.

For me the song also relates for a Mother-Daughter relationship. I am a carbon copy of Mother goose :slant:

At the moment ONE lyrics have been swimming around my head with the Make Poverty Campaign. Thinking I might use part of them for a white tshirt to wear at the rally. Perhaps even a U2 gig.

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

Sorry if I've gone off-topic a little....I'm new! :angel:

1. A Sort of Homecoming (After 20 years of listening to this, still as evocative as ever for me, really paints a picture in my head.)

2. You're So Cruel (Wish it was a better song, overall, but the lyrics get me everytime)

3. Red Hill Mining Town (We wait all day, for night to come. Bleak)

I love threads like this....very subjective, but, very positive, no bashing here, just people showing their love. :)

No spoken words said:
1. A Sort of Homecoming (After 20 years of listening to this, still as evocative as ever for me, really paints a picture in my head.)

:D

"A Sort of Homecoming" for me too.

Always gives me chills.

As Bono says "Normally we paint pictures, I think, more than tell stories You know, just from image to image " (1991 BBC TV Series Bringing It All Back Home) and I think this song is one of his best effort's at creating an emotional and visual landcape in our heads.

"See faces ploughed like fields that once gave no resistance"

"The wind will crack in wintertime
This bomb-blast-lightning waltz
No spoken words - just a scream....."

I love the way he starts the song with "...and" as it leads us straight into the action but also leaves us wondering what has gone on before we arrived.

BTW does anyone know what Bono considers his best work? Just wondering if he has ever singled a particular song out as his favourite... :)

One Tree Hill

".. and when it's rainin', rainin' hard
that's when the rain will break my heart.."

Considering it was written about one of Bono's good friends who died in a motorbike accident when a truck that couldnt stop in the rain hit him.

Maybe its not his best line ever written, but it sure is probably the line with the most emotional attachment to it.

Sken

*Deep Breath*

Here goes, i'll be as breif as i can, but i'm not promising anything.

Walk On - Everytime he says "i know it aches, and your heart it breaks, and you can only take so much... Walk on." I get tears in my eyes. it really feels as if he's talking to me in particular, even though hes never met me.
One - Predictable, i know, but to me this song describes how i feel about being a human. (i'm quite creative at times) "We're one, but we're not the same... We get to carry each other" The other lyrics kind of say this too, but i'd have to explain, and i'm not very good at that.
Love is blindness - Just the title is poetic. Oddly enough, the only part thats brought tears to my eyes in this song is the do do de do...do's. not that poetic really, but it did the trick.
i'm sick of explaining now, as i'm sure you're sick of reading (i know i would be) :wink:
The others are:
Please
October - i think its pretty
Peace on Earth
Playboy Mansion

Ahhhh. Felt good to get that out of my system

In no particular order...

Bad---I can relate to it, and I think the part that lists the emotions (isolation, desolation, revelation, etc...can't remember them all) is one of the most perfect descriptions of the subject matter ever. Also, I think it's brilliant in that it could be a song written from the PoV of either the person with the addiction (letting go of the substance), or someone close to them (letting go of the *person*). Think about that next time you listen to it.

A Sort of Homecoming---I agree with what a lot of other people have said about this song. "She will die and live again, tonight..." sends chills up my spine, and I love the verses

"The city walls are all pulled down
The dust a smokescreen all around
See faces ploughed like fields
That once gave no resistance

And we live by the side of the road
On the side of a hill as the valley explodes
Dislocated, suffocated
The land grows weary of its own"

Playboy Mansion---I know a lot of people dislike it, but I think it's great! It's sort of funny, but also makes a point, and this was my favorite phase of their religiousness.

Wake Up Dead Man---The line "Tell me, tell me the story, the one about eternity, and the way it's all gonna be" is perfect to me, and sums up *exactly* how I feel about religion right now. It's almost scary.

One Tree Hill---not just for Bono's personal attachment to the song, either. A great song about death in general, and really makes me think.

Shadows and Tall Trees---I know that's a weird one, and I still don't know who Mrs. Brown is or why her washing is always the same. This is sort of young Bono attempting to write profound poetry, but I think this one works, and it just strikes a chord with me. I don't even know what it's about (if anything), but I can relate. Weird.

One---Something about the first verse "is it getting better, or do you feel the same? will it make it easier on you now, you got someone to blame" gets something inside of me and even gets me teared up on certain days of the month...I almost can't listen to this one sometimes! lol...best verse though is "have you come here for forgiveness, have you come to raise the dead, have you come here to play jesus, to the lepers in your head"

wow, that was a lot, i feel better now:wink:

So Cruel "her skin is pale like god's only dove
screams like an angel for your love
then she makes you watch her from above
and you need her like a drug"

I think they are the best lyrics I have ever heard.

I like One Tree Hill but I think I still haven't found what I'm looking for is more relevant for me because I am still in doubt about faith and consider myself an agnostic.

Oh, and New York...

I hit an iceberg in my life
you know I'm still afloat
you lose your conscience
lose your wife
in the queue for the lifeboat

Gotta get the women and children first
cuz you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York

*Edge rocks out*

New York...

YES!!!! :rockon:

Back