Miss Sarajevo - Dici che il fiume trova la via al mare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Is there anybody here at this forum who wants to translate/explain me these lyrics? (Maybe some Italian?).

It's from Miss sarajevo.
Thanks in advance!
Pascal.

Dici che il fiume trova la via al mare
Che come il fiume giungerai a me
Oltre i confini e le terre assetate
L'amore giungerà, l'amore
E non so più pregare
E nell'amore non so più sperare
E quell'amore non so più aspettare.

Here you are:

English translation of the Italian lyrics:

You say that as a river finds its way to the sea
And as the river you'll find your way back to me
Beyond the borders and the thirsty lands
You say that as the river
As the river, you say that love will find a way
But love, I'm not a praying man
And in love I can't believe anymore
And for love I can't wait anymore

I think it's both a prayer and a lament, which emotionally and metaphorically portrays the despairing situation in Sarajevo beautifully.

phommel said:
it's really beautifull

I'm wondering who wrote those lyrics??

I'm thinking it must have been Bono/U2/Eno as it's not credited as anyone else in the CD sleeve.. it says "Italian translation on 'Miss Sarajevo' by Anna Mazzarotto" so I guess it was written in English first.

little correction -- even if I know that the English of the person who translates the verses is better than mine.. --

e quell'amore non so più aspettare

means

and I can't wait THAT love anymore

It's gorgeous hearing Bono singin in Italian!!

I was almost expecting Pavarotti to pop up during the opera part. ;) Now THAT would have been mind blowing! But Bono definitely hit the high notes in that part of the song and deserved the loud applause that the crowd gave him.

I love these lyrics!
Italian part is certainly one of the best lyrics ever, I remember hearing it for the first time back in 1995, from Modena concert broadcast...:sad:

BEVERLY56 said:
I've been wondering about this song live...does he skip the Pavarotti part, or is Bono singing it?

Bono sings the Pavarotti part, beautifully. He did a magnificent job when I saw them in Toronto on Saturday night.
You will be able to get this when the next single comes out in the UK. A live version (from Milan, I think) will be on the B side to All Because of You.

Back
Top Bottom