MERGED ----> You ate all your friends... + You Ate All Your Friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
You ate all your friends...

What is up with the ate part of Crumbs from Your Table? Was that a burp? A vurp???

This song is currently my second favorite off the album. I just find that part amusing each time I hear it. :D

I love that lyric, though I couldn't adequately explain the inside joke that results in this love.

AussieU2fanman said:

'With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends'

These are the official lyrics, it's 'ate' all your friends. ;)

Are they in the sleve of the album ? If so my apologies , it just does'nt sound right to me, and you can't really tell from the song in my opinion.

According to an article I read somewhere, they wrote this delightful little tune totally drunk!! That amazes me! :up: Great song!

one4u2 said:
According to an article I read somewhere, they wrote this delightful little tune totally drunk!! That amazes me! :up: Great song!

Yeh, the first song which they wrote while being drunk:drunk:
Maybe they should try it more often :D

Who is the "you" that Bono is referring to? Any ideas?

From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole
You had so much to offer
Why did you offer your soul?
I was there for you baby
When you needed my help
Would you deny for others
What you demand for yourself?

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends

Could it be America?

You Ate All Your Friends?

I used to have a problem with this line. It just seemed a bit out of place. But like "Until the End of the World" - where lines like "you led me on with those innocent eyes" took on a chilling significance when we realize the one with the innocent eyes is Jesus before he is betrayed by Judas, "Crumbs from Your Table" is full of such references.

Here is a passage from the Message:

Galatians 5
15If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then?

I love little discoveries like this.

Moderators, please don't bury this post "The Goal Is Soul" :) - as I believe this topic relevant to discussing what the new album is about, not a general discussion of Christian themes in U2's music.

Would you deny for others What you demand for yourself?
'With a mouth full of teeth You ate all your friends*
for me it has very much to do with all of the bad behaviour of the BUSH administration...what do you think?

*friends = the allies

Perhaps. I tend to think Bono's speaking more generally toward the politicians that have come into Africa, posed for the photographs (you were pretty in the picture), made empty promises, and went back to their political life of devouring each other.

Let's face it - it's not politically "hip" to fight for Africa anymore.

Before the War in Iraq, even before Bush, Bono has been rallying the world to forgive debt and to send in cheap AIDS drugs.

Personally, I think it's about Bush only if Bush fits into the above category (and he might).

Maybe you can see in this song what you want to see, maybe that's the point, as in all their songs to some extent :)

My first take on that song was it's about a selfish, manipulative, deceitful person who is exposed for what he/she is. The facade is broken and it's not so "pretty" anymore.

But then again maybe I'm just bitter :wink:

I think it's about evangelical america...."you speak of signs and wonders"...
this song is based, i think, on one of the most troubling passages in the Bible. I have never understood why jesus comes off so harsh...anyways, this song puts everything in new perspective.

"Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, 'Lord, Song of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession. '
Jesus did not answer a word. So his dsciples came to him and urged him, 'Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.'
He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.'
The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she said.
He replied, 'It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.'
'Yes Lord,' she said, 'but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table.
Then Jesus said, 'Woman you have faith. Your request is granted.' "

If Bono is using this scripture, metaphorically speaking who are the children? Who are the dogs? Who is the Canaanite woman of great faith?

jacobus said:
Would you deny for others What you demand for yourself?
'With a mouth full of teeth You ate all your friends*
for me it has very much to do with all of the bad behaviour of the BUSH administration...what do you think?

*friends = the allies

AMEN TO THAT!! my sentiments exactly!

from the moment i heard the song i had a feeling it was Bonos way of chastizing America and the president for that matter, on several levels...."from the brightest star comes the blackest hole" the brightest star being America, the blackest hole being our foreign relations. As i said before i agree that the "you" is not only President Bush but America as a whole. Bono has done tremendous work for Africa and has had to plead for the crumbs from many tables (global funding for AIDS) the signs and wonder reference while obviously christian can also be attributed to our president who tends to be a bit (if I may be so bold) evangelical( "shock and awe" anyone?!!) "three to a bed sister Ann she said digninty passes by" is obviously an allusion to the "emergency" in Africa - and according to the last email i recieved from DATA the "crumbs" that the bush administration promised for global AIDS relief are now in danger due to the wonderful and humanitarian(hahaha) lads and lassies in the house and senate! I could go on an don about this song but out of respect to all on this forum i will stop there..i think everyone gets my point!!

Last edited:
I think this question has been answered by Bono himself. In the new Hot Press interview (you can find it in EYKIW), he says this:

"Crumbs is one of the most vicious songs ever. It's full if spleen about the church and its refusal to hear God's voice on the AIDS emergency."

From the Brightest Star to the Blackest Hole is an obvious Lucifer reference.

I see the song as Bono moderating a heated conversation between Africa and the US. "Cool down, Mama...cool off....;" this is his request to Africa, the mother continent (or to the mothers of children in Africa that are dying of AIDS and their frustration at not getting the help that is available). "Brightest star to the blackest hole" does sound like Lucifer falling from heaven to hell.......it's an overall indictment of wealthy nations (I won't specifically say it's aimed at Bush,only, though.....that's coming from folks who are already foaming at the mouth for his head) not giving just the least bit of their riches ("crumbs from your table") to the situation of 3rd world nations debilitated by disease and debt. We in the US have PLENTY and only a small portion would help out majorly...... the story in the Bible about the woman is explained by the fact that Jesus was Jewish and was sent to be their deliverer. "Samaritans" (or Canaanite, as I think this instance says) is the term given to any non-Jewish person. However, as the Bible explains later on (Paul, specifically), Jesus came to save not only the Jews and be their King, but everyone.

one4u2 said:
How can that be?... Cool song. :up:

Back
Top Bottom