MERGED ----> Yahweh Lyric - What does this part mean to you? + Drop In The Ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Yahweh Lyric - What does this part mean to you?

Hey everyone. I've been listening to Yahweh especially the lyric "This love is like a drop in the ocean."

What do you think Bono is trying to say? Or, if you haven't spoken to Bono about it lately, what does it mean to you?

I think it's beautiful, especially when the classic U2 music chimes in right after it.

What are your thoughts?

As for me, its a way to say that in spite of one's devotion and faith, this love to God is still just like a drop in the ocean of God's love to us.
That there's still a way to go before one achieve perfection...

Hope you understand what im trying to say...

Last edited:
I think that it means that his love for God is just meaningless, and tiny, one in a billion, but thats not a reason for not to be angry about all the bad things that are happening in the world today, and ask to God why He let this to happen...

Hope you understand what im trying to say...

:wink:

I understand you both. both make sense. Hence, why U2's lyrics are so great. they can be interpreted 100 different ways. Thanks.

I'm trying to find this quote. I think Bono used it when talking about his plight for Africa awhile back. But he made some analogy about one drop of something in a large body of water will affect the whole body of water. He was trying to say that the smallest glimse of hope or love can affect thousand maybe millions.

I can't find it, maybe I'm even dreaming is up, or I could have completely misquoted it...but I've been wracking my brain for days about that quote. If someone else remembers what the hell I'm talking about let me know.

IMO, Bono could refer to his love for God or his love with Ali.
I don't want to choose... I like this song!!

lady luck said:
IMO, Bono could refer to his love for God or his love with Ali.
I don't want to choose... I like this song!!

Hmm. Normally I'd agree about the songs being ambivalent between their lyrical focus towards a woman or God. But since the song is named after, well, God as he named himself to Moses (YHWH= I am who I am, etc.), I don't think it's quite as open to inerpretation in terms of who the lyric is directed to

UnforgettableLemon said:

Hmm. Normally I'd agree about the songs being ambivalent between their lyrical focus towards a woman or God. But since the song is named after, well, God as he named himself to Moses (YHWH= I am who I am, etc.), I don't think it's quite as open to inerpretation in terms of who the lyric is directed to

Yes, that's true
But...
the love between a man and a woman is, IMO, just another kind of love of love between human beings & God.

I bet He is happy seeing love between the creatures he created!

Drop in the Ocean

Can someone please explain the line, "His love is like a drop in the ocean" from Yahweh.

If someone said to me, " Max, your love is like a drop in the ocean" my response would be :scratch: :confused: :shrug:

One interpretation I can think of is that your love is a tiny part of something so beautiful and grand. A drop's contribution helps make the ocean what it is.

Re: Drop in the Ocean

MaxFisher said:
Can someone please explain the line, "His love is like a drop in the ocean" from Yahweh.

If someone said to me, " Max, your love is like a drop in the ocean" my response would be :scratch: :confused: :shrug:

doesn't he say "This love is like drop in the Ocean"?T

I think he means it in terms of love being a drop causing a ripple that keeps getting bigger...

you mean that when a drop falls in the ocean, it makes a ripple that expanded and then it disappers?

The Name Yahweh

Yahweh is my favorite U2 song for obvious reasons!

For those interested in an indepth meaning of the Name Yahweh or for MANY other songs containing the Name Yahweh, please PM me.

Last edited:
I think that by saying "This love is like a drop in the ocean" it means that God is loved by millions of people across the world. In that lyric Bono might mean that his love for God is one among millions- one drop of faith in an ocean of people.
..........Thats my take on it anyway

Maybe it also means that God's love for us is just a tiny bit/a drop in the ocean of what he's capable of doing. Basically, God is all-powerful.

Back
Top Bottom