MERGED ---> The Fly ... Bono's tribute to himself? + The best U2 song ever!! The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
The best U2 song ever!! The Fly

I think that The Fly is the best song U2 has done. It's lyrics are dark and moving and Edge's guitar is very stong and powerfull. Live, it is an even greater song. Post your thoughts on this song.

Also...who really does the "Gospel Voice" on the album. To me it sounds more like Edge but I think it may be Bono. I don't know...

theFly51 said:
Also...who really does the "Gospel Voice" on the album. To me it sounds more like Edge but I think it may be Bono. I don't know...
do you mean the "love we shine like a burning star, we're falling from the sky...tonight" part?

Live Edge does it but i think Bono over dubbed it on the album.

Yea...Edge sounds so cool when he sings that part. Gives me chills. But to me it kinda sounds like Edge who sings it on the album.

I agree completely with theFly51. The Fly is, in my opinion, one of if not the best song U2 has ever done. It's certainly my favorite song. When played live, it's :drool: X 50.

:yes: I agree, I absolutely love the Fly! The lyrics, the guitar, the drums, every single thing about it is amazing. And the video too, of course :wink:

I personally think the Fly and WGRYWH are u2's best work. :rockon:

Also another question thats been bothering me....who's seen or heard the Stop Sellafield version? Or whos seen the whole concert?

Indeed, The Fly is one of my favorite songs. I really enjoy the Edge's guitar solo towards the end, it's really powerful. On the Live From Chicago DVD, it's amazing, the way Bono sings the chorus is great. On the Live From Boston DVD, Bono sings in interesting intro, that leads up to "love, shines like a burning star, falling from the sky... tonight", and he sings all of the chorus, meaining the part in quotes and the other part. I also like Lady with the Spinning Head, an early mix of The Fly and Ultra Violet (as I'm sure most of you know).

Just great stuff.

I must say that the Fly is a good song. However, I don't think it is U2's best. I do like the lyrics, "Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief." I can't really tell you why I like that part, but I do.

Who ever said the lounge fly mix - it would be amazing if you heard it first. but we all heard the 'proper' fly first - so that is better to me

Lyrically its the best song ive heard , musically its amazing and vocally its unbelievable.

theFly51 said:
Also another question thats been bothering me....who's seen or heard the Stop Sellafield version? Or whos seen the whole concert?
I've heard The Fly and EBTTRT live from the Stop Sellafield concert.
Did you want to know anything about that particular version of The Fly?

The Fly ... Bono's tribute to himself?

When you listen to the Fly and see it live, you think "This song is crude, it's harsh and it's cold."

A part of me, while listening to it tonight, realized that the Fly is a song about what Bono was back in the late 80s. Bono was pretty serious back in the 80s, with his rants here and there and activism. I think when U2 reinvented itself, he chose to reinvent himself.

Bono wrote this song about himself I believe...

Okay, okay.

Nietzsche is dead.

God never existed, to begin with.

And Bono used to be really fucking cool.

Also, "The Fly" is a damn great tune, regardless of what it may or may not be trying to say. Why not leave it open to the imagination, y'know?

Because theU2fly made a post about what he thought the fly was about and I made a comment about what I thought it was about, and lets face it ,we know that that is at least partly what it is about. Bono has said it himself many many times.

The Fly is my favourite song of all time so i have given its subject matter a lot of thought over the last 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom