MERGED -> Embarrass yourself here! + Your Mighty Lyrical Stuff-Ups!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_212 said:
What I read originally, though I just went to check those lyrics again, and they've changed them to this whole hours of fun buisness, was shoot me, just fall, Show me eh. or something like that...actually I just listened to it now, and that's what I hear, or I hear Check mate, shazbot, Show me.

I dont' kknow but there is no WAY ON EARTH that he is saying Hours of Fun. I really think they watchthese boards and they just wanted to see how long it would take for all of their fans to go insane trying to figure out how he says hours of fun...

I'm quoting myself simply to state that I finally found those lyrics I was referring to originally and they are :

Shot dead
Shots fall
Show me, yeah

and quite frankly I find these the easiest to hear : Lyrics from @u2 btw

I wonder how you can hear 'shot dead' in 'checkmated'.
I agree he doesn't say 'hours of fun'. But I think he DOES sing 'checkmated'.

Anyway, it has 3 syllables. Check - ma - ted.
That would make shot dead something like shot de - head. I definitely hear 'ted' as last syllable. It must be checkmated.

Stuck in a Moment.

Lyric goes: "Water was warm 'til you discover how deep"

When I first heard it sounded like: "Water was warm 'til you discover I peed"

:giggle:

waynetravis said:
Stuck in a Moment.

Lyric goes: "Water was warm 'til you discover how deep"

When I first heard it sounded like: "Water was warm 'til you discover I peed"

:giggle:

:lol:

I mistook the line "I want to see your thoughts take shape and walk right out" from Miracle Drug as "I want to see your farts take shape and walk right out". Yeesh...I don't know what I was on when I first listened to that song.

Oh that's it!!! Now I've read the actual lyrics to The Fly another one of my favourite U2 lyrics hits the scrapheap as it turns out it doesn't exist!

I hear:

It's no secret that a friend is someone who needs your help (which I thought was :drool: )

The actual lyric:

It's no secret that a friend is someone who lets you help :| :angry: :sigh:

When I listen to The Unforgettable Fire, I always hear:

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through Al Capone,
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and waterless place

:reject:

and

Sleep comes like a drug
In God's Country
Sad eyes, dookie crosses
In God's Country

:huh:

I don't know what it means either.

Last edited:
Boberts said:
When I listen to The Unforgettable Fire, I always hear:

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through Al Capone,

:lol:

In Electrical Storm, I thought Bono was saying "The air is heavy, heavy as a church," instead of "truck."

I think my lyric carries more weight. :shifty:

Last edited:
Targon1991 said:

and i'm pretty sure I'm singing ALL of Mofo wrong
the words are just so confusing :huh:

100% agree. And I was so surprised when Bono said that song was probably the closest portrait of Bono's life/career. Geez, ins't the guy just mad!!! :lol: :hug:

One lyric: "and you won't need to go without" instead of "and you want me to go without". One of the strongest liens on one of the strongest songs, and i mishear it :banghead: Don't ask me what it meant either... :huh: :laugh:

VicksSs said:
One lyric: "and you won't need to go without" instead of "and you want me to go without". One of the strongest liens on one of the strongest songs, and i mishear it :banghead: Don't ask me what it meant either... :huh: :laugh:
What? Those aren't the lyrics? :huh:

Always made perfect sense to me
You never had love
And you won't need to go without

^ :lol: Well it sounds like Bono sings that, but the The AB booklet says "and you want me to go without". Funny we both heard teh same! :ohmy: :)

VicksSs said:
^ :lol: Well it sounds like Bono sings that, but the The AB booklet says "and you want me to go without". Funny we both heard teh same! :ohmy: :)
I looked on Google if anyone else made the same mistake, and I found this site: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/u2.shtml

Oh my, that's hilarious. One of the misheard lyrics there:
Have you come here to play Caesar, and do the leopards in your bed :lol:

And
You act like it never happened
And you want me to roll the dice.

OMG :lmao:

edit: oh, I could go on and on about that site.

Last edited:
One of my favourite lyrics are WTSHNN. I got a Bootleg, the concert from 1989-12-26, X-Mas At The Point Depot, and Bono says something at the beginning of Streets, nut don't know what. It goes: "His voice to me was like a scream..." Any ideas??

I've always sung the Discotheque lyrics as:

You know it's you and bubblegum,
You know what that is but you still want some.

I don't think they can be the correct lyrics, can they?

After reading this thread I've concluded that I mishear on average about 80% of all U2 lyrics. :huh:

TheQuiet1 said:

What's with everyone thinking Bono's singing "Electrical Toaster" instead of "Elecetrical Storm"??? :lmao:

:laugh: that made me laugh! would explain the "coffee is cold" part too bono's woeful breakfast calamity

I still don't know what bono is saying in the edge chord solo in Vertigo..i think it's cos Bono overlaps his words slighty so they merge and confuses listeners

TheQuiet1 said:
I've always sung the Discotheque lyrics as:

You know it's you and bubblegum,
You know what that is but you still want some.

I don't think they can be the correct lyrics, can they?

After reading this thread I've concluded that I mishear on average about 80% of all U2 lyrics. :huh:

lol it's you know you're chewing bubblegum :D

I hate to mishear lyrics, so I often read the album sleeves as I listen to the music :up:

VicksSs said:

lol it's you know you're chewing bubblegum :D

I hate to mishear lyrics, so I often read the album sleeves as I listen to the music :up:

Thanks. I may need to start doing that too by the looks of things! ;)

:lol: It's a good way of avoiding embarassment, trust me :reject: :wink: The good thing is not too many of my friends now anything about U2 lyrics :wink:

I think I finally figured out the lyrics for the album version of Vertigo. As you all know, these are a bit different from what is sung in live performances, let alone what is in the lyrics booklet.
Vertigo (album version)

Unos, dos, tres, catorce! #1
Turn it up, eh, captain! #2

Lights go down, it’s dark
The jungle is your head
Can’t rule your heart
A feeling so much stronger than
A thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
It can’t be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello, hello!
¡Hola!
I’m at a place called Vertigo!
¿Cómo está? #3
It’s everything I wish I didn’t know
Except you give me something I can feel, feel

The night is full of holes
As bullets ripping sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the
Boys play rock and roll
They know they can’t dance
At least they know

I can’t stand the beats
I’m asking for the cheque
The girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus round her neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh

Hello, hello!
¡Hola!
I’m at a place called Vertigo!
¿Cómo está?
It’s everything I wish I didn’t know
But you give me something I can feel, feel

Checkmated
Skies of fall #4
Show meaning, eh, eh

All of this, all of this can be yours

Just give me what I want and no-one gets hurt

Hello, hello!
¡Hola!
We're at a place called Vertigo!
¿Cómo está?
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something

I can feel your love teaching me how
Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Ad #1: Yeah I know 'Unos' isn't correct Spanish. But that's what he sings, I can't help it!
Ad #2: I don't know why everyone seems to be thinking it's "turn it up loud captain". What he says is nowhere near the word 'loud'.
Ad #3: Yes I know you all think it's "donde esta". But I listened to the song like a hundred times, and I still hear como esta. There's definitely no 'd' sound in what he sings.
Oh and don't come up with the argument "here's an mp3 of the concert in xxx, he sings donde esta" because we're talking about the album version here, not live versions.
Ad #4: Not sure about this one. It's closer than "shots fall" (fan-invented lyric) or "hours of fun" (lyrics booklet) though. It kinda makes sense, as the song was released in autumn (fall). :shrug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom