Mercy lyrics ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I have no religion
And i don't know what's what
And i don't know the limit
The limit of what we got
Anyway, how do you interpret this verse ?

That was Bono's take on Berlin after the fall of the Berlin Wall. People were finally free to make their own choices and they didn't realize what they had...they didn't know what to do with the new found freedom.
That is what I read somewhere as his take on it anyway. I think it's in U2 by U2. The part where they landed in Berlin just as the wall was falling down and they accidentally joined up with a group on the street thinking they were celebrating when in fact they were East Germans not happy about the wall coming down. :lol: They accidentally joined a protest march without realizing it!

Mercy Live from Zurich 12-09-10, U2gigs recording used for transcript.

I was drinking some wine, then it turned to blood
What's the use of religion, if you're only good
I know I'm weed killer honey(*), and you're sugar
If you're the prosecution, I'd get away with murder

You’re gravity, searching for the ground
I’m silence, searching for a sound
Your heart is aching, your heart is my home
It’s fascinating, I know I’ll never be alone

You’re gonna kill me and I wanna die, we were meant for each other, you and I
souls unite for love, and there’s nowhere else to trust
You’re not sorry, you’re not gonna cry
You put the blue back in my eye
It’s just us, because, because, because, we can we can, we must

If you’re hungry(*,), baby let me feed it
If your heart is full, baby let me bleed it
And happiness is for those who don’t really need it
You love me, too much

You wanna kill me and I wanna die, we’re a perfect match, you and I
Sames?? are like a drug? (**)And there’s nowhere else to trust
I’m not sorry, you’re not gonna cry
It’s just us, because, because, because, we can, we must

(solo)

I’m gonna kill me and I wanna die, we were meant for each other, you and I
Two souls are like a trust(**), and there’s no one left to trust
It’s just us, because, because, because, we can we must

Because, because, because, we can we must

* Bono sings sugar but it's the other way around, doesn’t rhyme and isn’t in the original like that.
*, It was hunger in the original, he seems to have changed it to hungry on the last moment. Not sure.
** Not sure about that at all, he keeps singing something slightly different, and it keeps ending on trust which doesn’t rhyme with trust!

I'll change as I listen more. This is what I figured out while listening on the train today. Feel free to correct me where it's needed or add!

Editing some things with the rehearsal video now. The wanna kill me, I'm not sorry... those are parts I think he flubbed last night. Ok they skipped the chorus before the solo and the solo in the rehearsals, so I can't make it out!

I think you're spot on Simon. And it sorta makes sense, love is a drug.

:doh: While editing I ran out of time to edit my post. Fail.

ETA: Atu2 just upped their version. It's "slaves without the drug". Fits PERFECTLY. On a few other accounts I think my version is better than theirs though, They have
"Souls allowed to love
And there’s nowhere else to turn"
Which I do not hear.

I think it's a good thing Bono threw out the repetitive "love"-lines. Most of the new lyrics are fine for me, but I, too, somehow miss the "ripping the stitches" part. It automatically comes up in my head when I'm silently singing the song along with the lyrics :lol:

I love the part with gravity and silence, though.

Our trusty Lyricologist, Ian Ryan, has just uploaded the revised lyrics so you can compare them from the original from the All That You Can't Leave Behind sessions and what Bono sang last night.

:giggle: I think someone thinks this is waaay old :)
http://www.atu2.com/news/mercy-double-take.html

EDIT: I just misheard the most fabulous thing; you put the blueberry in my eye :lmao:

* Bono sings sugar but it's the other way around, doesn’t rhyme and isn’t in the original like that.

when i saw the youtube vid of this just earlier, i half wondered for a sec if B would ab lib all of a sudden and sing "If you're the prosecution, I'd get away with... erm... all the money" to rhyme with the misplaced "honey" :D

hopefully Bono and the boys will sing this again and we can clear up any of his mistakes...I don't think 'trust' was meant to be used in back to back lines.

EDIT: I just misheard the most fabulous thing; you put the blueberry in my eye :lmao:
:lol: Oh god, now I'm gonna hear that each time I hear the song!!!!!!!

when i saw the youtube vid of this just earlier, i half wondered for a sec if B would ab lib all of a sudden and sing "If you're the prosecution, I'd get away with... erm... all the money" to rhyme with the misplaced "honey" :D
I so expected him to blurb something odd out to just rhyme the lyric! :lol: Maybe it's for the best he didn't.

hopefully Bono and the boys will sing this again and we can clear up any of his mistakes...I don't think 'trust' was meant to be used in back to back lines.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. He used the word far too often, probably forgot the original lyric, as usual.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really prefer the demo version lyrically over this new version. Granted, 'Mercy" sounds like a finished song now. The "because, beacuse, because" hook is catchy. I wish U2 had just left this song alone and just re-recorded the original version.

From Munich: Finally the gibberish taken out. This seems like the proper lyrics to me.

Mercy Live from Munich 15-09-10, U2gigs recording used for transcript.

I know I'm weed killer honey and you're sugar

You’re silence, searching for a sound

You wanna kill me and I wanna die, we were meant for each other, you and I
There's nowhere else to go, and there’s no one left to trust

If you’re hungry, baby let me feed it
You love me, too much

You wanna kill me and I wanna die, we’re a perfect match, you and I
There’s nowhere else to go, and no one left to trust

(solo)

You wanna kill me and I wanna die, We’re a perfect match, you and I
There's nowhere else to go, and no one left to trust
It’s just us, because, because, because, we can we must

it's just us sounds right and it makes sense, but a part of me thinks it's Bono enunciating justice funnily too.

Ok, so this song has a hold of me and I have been trying to figure out what it means beyond first glance at the lyrics. I thought it was a love song to Ali, but the more I ponder the more I am convinced he is singing to us, the fans. But I heard him say once that every song to him is like a gospel song..so it could all be about salvation and God's mercy/love too since the song is called Mercy. Ha! I'm a genius. :wink:
What do you think?
Here's my take on it:

(he's perceived as the rock God/saviour)
I know I'm weed killer honey and you're sugar
(Bad ass rocker image who can do no wrong ala The Fly or God's grace?)

You’re silence, searching for a sound
(this is about us the fans)
(the rock star and his legions)
You wanna kill me and I wanna die,
(constant criticism from some fans and public but he likes it, he asked for it)
we were meant for each other, you and I
(the stage man and fans)
There's nowhere else to go, and there’s no one left to trust
(nowhere else but the stage and the fans to trust)
(unapologetic rock star)
(he needs us, he needs to perform and we inspire him back)
It’s just us, because, because, because, we can, we must (because he/they can inspire us to change the world around us)

If you’re hungry, baby let me feed it
(we want something and he feeding us)
(Be inspiried by him and join the cause, the proverbial bleeding heart)
(there is so much suffering the world, people can be blind to it)

You love me, too much
( we love him too much, why yes, yes I do! ha!)

interesting take, but i think it's easily about the crucifixion. and a love song. Bono's good at two meanings at once, but the line about wine into blood = last supper which catholics recreate at mass then "you want to kill me, i want to die" is an easy reference to Jesus wanting to die - because we must. etc.

^Hey thanks! Ya, I know the religous imagery is very strong as it is in many U2 songs which I love. That rub between the devine and the human. I still think the duality of the lyrics are directed towards the fans more so than a simple love ballad to Ali like AIWIY of TST where it's spelled out clearly.
You know what I mean?

interesting take, but i think it's easily about the crucifixion. and a love song. Bono's good at two meanings at once, but the line about wine into blood = last supper which catholics recreate at mass then "you want to kill me, i want to die" is an easy reference to Jesus wanting to die - because we must. etc.

Had the same take about the crucifixion, you wanna kill me and I wanna die is a little too morbid for 2 lovers for me, but most songs do have double meanings. Will be brilliant on a future album and I saw in the setlist from Zurich that it had a rocket ending, not sure if that was the repeat of the because phrase multiple times, probably.....

yeah, that's the part where I don't see him talking about himself. even Bono doesn't have that big of an ego to consider himself any type of god - or at least write about it in song. and I doubt he'd make the parallel to criticism from fans to the crucifixion.

the one angle I will buy is the searching for sound lyric.

Ok. But this is Bono. The man /poet who uses double entrendres with great skill.
I don't think he sees himself literally as a rock God ..in fact I know he doesn't..that's the great part about him. I mean it in the ironic sense. I said above that he is PERCEIVED as a rock god. Not that he thinks he is THE God.

Maybe this is also written from the angle someone so famous , he feels the glare of the spotlight and of being so adored and also not adored it might scare him a little. I am sure he is humbled by that fact alone. Bono is a very humble man in the public eye off stage IMO but the perception is that he is an egotistical rock star right? with the shades and attitude but we know better. We know who he really. A human being we love faults and all. :heart:

I can also see this as a love song to God. I don't know... just rambling... :)

On the OP's question... I think it is pretty clear that religion and spirituality aren't the same for the band, as Bono says, religion is useless if people are good. That is the whole point of spirituality is the goodness of the people, not the way organised religions exploit it.

'what's the use of religion if you're any good?"
what do you think this means since u2 seems to be somewhat into religion? I have an idea, but would like to hear your viewpoints before i put my foot in mouth.

One of Bono's favorite themes throughout the years has been the subject of God's grace which also means MERCY.
(Check out the song GRACE from ATYCLB.)
"Grace finds goodness in everything..." Same concept.

"Grace"
...What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace finds goodness in everything"

The line "what's the use of religion if you're only good?" implies that if you are good/perfect ( who is?) then you don't need the grace of God (religion) to save you from yourself. The whole point of Grace is man's imperfection.

Back
Top Bottom