Mercy - lyrically weak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Mercy

I know it was released as part of the itunes but that was only intended for Fans to download. So true fans can say what they want about it.

Au contraire. I have The Complete U2. Mercy is not a part of it.

I love Mercy. It is one of my favorite songs. :(

If you were ice... I'm water
And with your telescope... I can see further
We're binary code... a one and a zero
You wanted violins... and you got Nero

is the only part I don't care for. It would be perfect if they took it out, they need to shorten it a bit anyway.

sweetie said:
I don't really care for the chorus. The lyrics...the music...its lacks the excitement that the verses build up to. I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly.

To the various complainers that the lyrics are imperfect: U2/Bono didn't perfect the song for release yet. They knew it wasn't ready, so they didn't release it. Have you listened to the Salome Outtakes? There's plenty of meandering in the lyrics as they built songs, and Mercy has a bit of that.

But in a lot of ways the meandering and lack of payoff for what seems to be a building of excitement is brilliant. The song creates the feeling of frustration, of a slightly missed connection, just as in the song the lovers aren't quite right and the searches aren't quite fulfilled. It's like Exit, it builds a feeling that's very hard to capture. Many of U2's best songs manage to do that, to create a feeling if you really listen to them whether that feeling exists in you or not, and if you haven't felt it in life maybe you don't understand it, but they still give you that feeling and that is one of the reasons they are such brilliant musicians.

IrishDawg said:
If you were ice... I'm water
And with your telescope... I can see further
We're binary code... a one and a zero
You wanted violins... and you got Nero

is the only part I don't care for. It would be perfect if they took it out, they need to shorten it a bit anyway.

Also, I really like the first line there about ice and water. The middle two I could see being replaced, but the final line is one of the great references that Bono has produced in his songwriting career, up there with "the sun won't melt our wings tonight."

This song is just average all around...

Damn it, who am I kidding...it's not that good at all :(

Oh well, they all can't be perfect :)

Well, to begin with, I found the lyrics sort of strange...and jarring at times, but it's really really grown on me!

And even if the lyrics where rubbish, I still think the song itself is incredible.

Anyway, the song has yet to be released, Bono was probably just cruising along, doing his usual poetic improvisation.

I have no doubts that the final cut will be the masterpeice that the leaked version promises.

Mercy is an incredible song. If they make it a little bit shorter it should be perfect. I wouldn't change too much about the lyrics. I am really crazy about this song, I never get tired of it. I like the guitar and the vocals. Hopefully they will release it in some way.

Back
Top Bottom