Lyrics to NLOTH album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hello dan

i do not think i was clear in my question. i know the man did not take a photo of his fridge. when would he? that would be silly and then then song would not make any sense at all. but did the man:

take the photo that was stuck on the fridge already been taken earlier in time, or
he was standing by the fridge when he took the photo of the woman cleaning up the toys

thanks for getting back to me so soon

It means he took the photo off the fridge to look at it, not actually take the picture with his camera.

I really cannot get over how great many of the lyrics on that album are. I'm a writer myself and a really lyrics-focused person. I find the thing with the different characters and the storytelling really interesting, and there are so many great lines in the lyrics.

From COL I love especially:

The worst of us are a long, drawn out confession
The rest of us are geniuses of compression.

Also the way he sings it, it's just WOW.

I really cannot get over how great many of the lyrics on that album are. I'm a writer myself and a really lyrics-focused person. I find the thing with the different characters and the storytelling really interesting, and there are so many great lines in the lyrics.

From COL I love especially:

Also the way he sings it, it's just WOW.

yep can't argue with that - it's definitely a gem.

The album is very hit or miss, but his hits are better than most of the lyrics on the last two albums.

3.33 hmmm is that a half confession of being the anti Christ?

no. 33-3 is God's phone number. it appears on the ATYCLB cover. Look for the J 33-3. J 33:3... "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

His body as a begging bowl (obvious), his face reflecting in an ATM machine (status defining him). It’s a very personal song that lyrically hands down by a million miles beats intellectual tortoise and a Napoleon complex and all of that other shit we’ve been getting from him when he’s been getting personal lately.

I don’t normally buy into early hype. Songs shift and change. The sparkly surface tends to grab you first, and in just a month what you love and what you adore on this album will be dramatically different. But this song is the real deal. As good as anything they’ve ever done. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

This phrase caught my attention. I could swear I'd heard it from somewhere else. Finally, it came to me -- U2's cover of Keep On Rockin' In A Free World. Remember that? It went something like, "you've got to trust your vision over visibility".

Hopefully I'm not hallucinating here. :uhoh:

:wink:

Nope, you´re not. I found that today too, acidentally, while checking songs in my Ipod. I came here to post about it, but decided to do a little bit of research first, and found your post. He does sing "you´ve gotta trust your vision over visibility" twice or three times in that performance.

MT

Does anyone know what's up with Jeff Jensen's review in EW saying that the lyric Bono is singing in NLOTH is actually "Know the line on the horizon"? :huh: Comments on his review have tried to correct him and he has commented back that those are the official lyrics.

Jeff Jensen Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that my review DOES get the lyrics right. Perhaps my review should have noted that the album/song title "No Line On The Horizon" is an IRONIC PUN on the song's actual lyrics. Bono really DOES sing: "Know the line on the horizon/Know the line."

No Line on the Horizon | Music Review | Entertainment Weekly

:doh:

That guy is an absolute idiot.

I mean, come on, people are correcting him, still he insists that he's right about the lyrics?

Bono is totally NOT singing "know the line". How stupid can you be?
Typical journalist, I'd say, so full of themselves.

At least the review is good.

Can someone that has the actual cd, post the correct lyrics to all the songs? I want them to be in a new thread and I will stick that thread.

:doh:

That guy is an absolute idiot.

I mean, come on, people are correcting him, still he insists that he's right about the lyrics?

Bono is totally NOT singing "know the line". How stupid can you be?
Typical journalist, I'd say, so full of themselves.

At least the review is good.

I think he is singing know the line :reject:

I thought it was 'No, no line on the horizon.. no no line'
same here! :lol:

i'd bet money that's what it is, even if the insert does say otherwise. i've had some cds where there's been a typo before, so who knows. i think this guy's mistaken though and is either too embarrassed to admit he's wrong or just misread it.

I hear "No, no line on the horizon. Know the line." It makes more sense too. When there is no line on the horizon you need to know where the line is when navigating a boat, or flying.

OK I take that back, I hear "know the line" the last time they say it.

Here are the lyrics taken from the digital version of the booklet (PDF file from iTunes)

No Line On The Horizon
I know a girl who’s like the sea / I watch her changing every day for me / Oh yeah / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / One day she’s still, the next she swells / You can hear the universe in her sea shells / Oh yeah / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / No, no line on the horizon, no line / I know a girl with a hole in her heart / She said infinity is a great place to start / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / She said “Time is irrelevant, it’s not linear” / Then she put her tongue in my ear / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / No, no line on the horizon / No, no line / No, no line on the horizon / No, no line / The songs in your head are now on my mind / You put me on pause / I’m trying to rewind and replay / Every night I have the same dream / I’m hatching some plot, scheming some scheme / Oh yeah / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / I’m a traffic cop, rue du Marais / The sirens are wailing but it’s me that wants to get away / Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh / No line on the horizon / No, no line / No, no line on the horizon / No, no line

Magnificent
Magnificent / Magnificent / I was born / I was born to be with you / In this space and time / After that and ever after I haven’t had a clue / Only to break rhyme / This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue / Only love, only love can leave such a mark / But only love, only love can heal such a scar / I was born / I was born to sing for you / I didn’t have a choice but to lift you up / And sing whatever song you wanted me to / I give you back my voice / From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise… / Only love, only love can leave such a mark / But only love, only love can heal such a scar / Justified till we die, you and I will magnify / The Magnificent / Magnificent / Only love, only love can leave such a mark / But only love, only love unites our hearts / Justified till we die, you and I will magnify / The Magnificent / Magnificent / Magnificent

Moment Of Surrender
I tied myself with wire / To let the horses run free / Playing with the fire / Until the fire played with me / The stone was semi-precious / We were barely conscious / Two souls too cool to be / In the realm of certainty / Even on our wedding day / We set ourselves on fire / Oh God, do not deny her / It’s not if I believe in love / But if love believes in me / Oh, believe in me / At the moment of surrender / I folded to my knees / I did not notice the passers-by / And they did not notice me / I’ve been in every black hole / At the altar of the dark star / My body’s now a begging bowl / That’s begging to get back, begging to get back / To my heart / To the rhythm of my soul / To the rhythm of my unconsciousness / To the rhythm that yearns / To be released from control / I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine / I could see in the reflection / A face staring back at me / At the moment of surrender / Of vision over visibility / I did not notice the passers-by / And they did not notice me / I was speeding on the subway / Through the stations of the cross / Every eye looking every other way / Counted down ‘til the Pentecost / At the moment of surrender / Of vision of over visibility / I did not notice the passers-by / And they did not notice me.

Unknown Caller
Sunshine, sunshine / Sunshine, sunshine / Oh, oh / Oh, oh / I was lost between the midnight and the dawning / In a place of no consequence or company / 3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face / Speed dialling with no signal at all / Go, shout it out, rise up / Oh, oh / Escape yourself, and gravity / Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak / Shush now / Oh, oh / Force quit and move to trash / I was right there at the top of the bottom / On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be / I had driven to the scene of the accident / And I sat there waiting for me / Restart and re-boot yourself / You’re free to go / Oh, oh / Shout for joy if you get the chance / Password, you, enter here, right now / Oh, oh / You know your name so punch it in / Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak / Shush now / Oh, oh / Then don’t move or say a thing

I’ll go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
She’s a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life / Knows I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight / There’s a part of me in the chaos that’s quiet / And there’s a part of you that wants me to riot / Everybody needs to cry or needs to spit / Every sweet tooth needs just a little hit / Every beauty needs to go out with an idiot / How can you stand next to the truth and not see it? / A change of heart comes slow / It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain / As you start out the climb / Do you believe me, or are you doubting / We’re gonna make it all the way to the light / But I know I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight / Every generation gets a chance to change the world / Pity the nation that will listen to your boys and girls / ’Cos the sweetest melody is the one we haven’t heard / Is it true the perfect love drives out all fear? / The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear / Oh, but a change of heart comes slow / It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain / As you start out the climb / Listen for me, I’ll be shouting / We’re gonna make it all the way to the light / But you know I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight / Baby, baby, baby, I know I’m not alone / Baby, baby, baby, I know I’m not alone / It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain / As we start out the climb / Listen for me, I’ll be shouting / Shouting to the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light / You know we’ll go crazy / You know we’ll go crazy / You know we’ll go crazy if we don’t go crazy tonight / Oh oh / Slowly now / Oh oh

Get On Your Boots
The future needs a big kiss / Winds blows with a twist / Never seen a moon like this / Can you see it too? / Night is falling everywhere / Rockets at the fun fair / Satan loves a bomb scare / But he won’t scare you / Hey, sexy boots / Get on your boots, yeah / You free me from the dark dream / Candy floss ice cream / All our kids are screaming / But the ghosts aren’t real / Here’s where we gotta be / Love and community / Laughter is eternity / If joy is real / You don’t know how beautiful / You don’t know how beautiful you are / You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you? / You don’t know how beautiful you are /That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up / We’re into growing up / Women of the future / Hold the big revelations / I got asubmarine / You got gasoline / I don’t want to talk about wars between nations / Not right now / Hey sexy boots... / Get on your boots, yeah / Not right now / Bossy boots / You don’t know how beautiful / You don’t know how beautiful you are /You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you? / You don’t know how beautiful you are / Hey sexy boots / I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations / Sexy boots, yeah / Let me in the sound / Let me in the sound / Let me in the sound, sound / Let me in the sound, sound / Meet me in the sound / Let me in the sound / Let me in the sound, now / God, I’m going down / I don’t wanna drown now / Meet me in the sound / Let me in the sound / Let me in the sound / Let me in the sound, sound / Let me in the sound, sound / Meet me in the sound / Get on your boots / Get on your boots / Get on your boots / Yeah hey hey

Stand Up Comedy
Love love love love love… / Love love love love love… / I got to stand up and take a step / You and I have been asleep for hours / I got to stand up / The wire is stretched in between our two towers / Stand up in this dizzy world / Where a lovesick eye can steal the view / I’m gonna fall down if I can’t stand up / For your love / Love love love love love… / Stand up, this is comedy / The DNA lottery may have left you smart / But can you stand up to beauty, dictator of the heart / I can stand up for hope, faith, love / But while I’m getting over certainty / Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady / Out from under your beds / C’mon ye people / Stand up for your love / Love love love love love… / I gotta stand up to ego but my ego’s not really the enemy / It’s like a small child crossing an eight lane highway / On a voyage of discovery / Stand up to rock stars, Napolean is in high heels / Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas / Out from under your beds / C’mon ye people / Stand up for your love / Love love love love love… / God is love / And love is evolution’s very best day / Soul rockin’ people moving on / Soul rockin’ people on and on / C’mon ye people / We’re made of stars / C’mon ye people / Stand up then sit down for your love / Love love love love love… / Love love love love love…

Fez – Being Born
Six o’clock / On the autoroute / Burning rubber, burning chrome / Bay of Cadiz and ferry home / Atlantic sea cut glass / African sun at last / Lights… flash past… / Like memories / A speeding head, a speeding heart / I’m being born, a bleeding start / The engines roar, blood curling wail / Head first then foot / Then heart sets sail

White As Snow
Where I came from there were no hills at all / The land was flat, the highway straight and wide / My brother and I would drive for hours / Like we had years instead of days / Our faces as pale as the dirty snow / Once I knew there was a love divine / Then came a time I thought it knew me not / Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not / Only the
lamb as white as snow / And the water, it was icy / As it washed over me / And the moon shone above me / Now this dry ground it bears no fruit at all / Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon / The road refuses strangers / The land the seeds we sow / Where might we find the lamb as white as snow / As boys we would go hunting in the woods / To sleep the night shooting out the stars / Now the wolves are every passing stranger / Every face we cannot know / If only a heart could be as white as snow / If only a heart could be as white as snow

Breathe
16th of June, nine 0 five, door bell rings / Man at the door says if I want to stay alive a bit longer / There’s a few things I need you to know. Three / Coming from a long line of travelling sales people on my mother’s side / I wasn’t gonna buy
just anyone’s cockatoo / So why would I invite a complete stranger into my home / Would you? / These days are better than that / These days are better than that / Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn / Every day I have to find the courage / To walk out into the street / With arms out / Got a love you can’t defeat / Neither down or out / There’s nothing you have that I need / I can breathe / Breathe now / 16th of June, Chinese stocks are going up / And I’m coming down with some new Asian virus / Ju Ju man, Ju Ju man / Doc says you’re fine, or dying / Please / Nine 0 nine, St John Divine, on the line, my pulse is fine / But I’m running down the road like loose electricity / While the band in my head plays a striptease / The roar that lies on the other side of silence / The forest fire that is fear so deny it / Walk out into the street / Sing your heart out / The people we meet / Will not be drowned out / There’s nothing you have that I need / I can breathe / Breathe now / Yeah, yeah / We are people borne of sound / The songs are in our eyes / Gonna wear them like a crown / Walk out, into the sunburst street / Sing your heart out, sing my heart out / I’ve found grace inside a sound / I found grace, it’s all that I found / And I can breathe / Breathe now

Cedars Of Lebanon
Yesterday I spent asleep / Woke up in my clothes in a dirty heap / Spent the night trying to make a deadline / Squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline / I have your face here in an old Polaroid / Tidying the children’s clothes and toys / You’re smiling back at me, I took the photo from the fridge / Can’t remember what then we did / I haven’t been with a woman, it feels like for years / Thought of you the whole time, your salty tears / This shitty world sometimes produces a rose / The scent of it lingers and then it just goes / Return the call to home / The worst of us are a long drawn out confession / The best of us are geniuses of compression / You say you’re not going to leave the truth alone / I’m here ’cos I don’t want to go home / Child drinking dirty water from the river bank / Soldier brings oranges he got out from a tank / I’m waiting on the waiter, he’s taking a while to come / Watching the sun go down on Lebanon / Return the call to home / Now I’ve got a head like a lit cigarette / Unholy clouds reflecting in a minaret / You’re so high above me, higher than everyone / Where are you in the Cedars of Lebanon? / Choose your enemies carefully ’cos they will define you / Make them interesting ’cos in some ways they will mind you / They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friend

Some lyrics are different in the official booklet, like "pain would stop" instead of "Pentecost" in MOS, but we've already discussed this. Bono is definitely singing "counting down til the pain would stop.".

Did anyone else notice the lines about playing with fire and traveling salespeople are taken from old conversations recorded in U2 by U2? Obviously Bono liked these phrases.

He talked about heroin, and how fire was playing with people when they tried to play with it. Is MOS about that, then?

Did anyone else notice the lines about playing with fire and traveling salespeople are taken from old conversations recorded in U2 by U2? Obviously Bono liked these phrases.

He talked about heroin, and how fire was playing with people when they tried to play with it. Is MOS about that, then?

He did say in a recent interview (I believe it was in the new Rolling Stone cover story) that MOS was about addiction in general, and that the image of a junkie was in his mind in writing the lyric. (He also mentioned Adam's own battle with alcoholism as an inspiration behind the lyric)

Back
Top Bottom