Lyrics that you can't live without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UltravioletU2

The Fly
As a chaser to lyrics you could live without...

Which lyrics get you every time? Which line or verse just does something to your soul, gives you life revelations, is poetry to your ears, or soothes a bad day?

"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" everytime. I just love the lyrics.

Even though "With or Without You" is my favorite U2 song, I just prefer the lyrics to that one. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

"Your a piece of glass, left there on the beach...well you left my heart, empty as a vacant lot, for any spirit to haunt."

and

"Took a drive through the dirty rain, to a place where the wind calls your name...."

"One" is the same way. I guess I just like songs that are a bit depressing.

Elisabeth

i love the lyrics to with or without you and running to stand still..i guess my favourite U2 'era' is joshua tree....

AvsGirl41 said:
"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" everytime. I just love the lyrics.

"You're dangerous cos you're honest."

So profound. It's the dishonest that are dangerous, but if the song was written about an affair, then honesty is dangerous.

An oxymoron of sorts. Makes you think.:scratch:

Wild Horses is really an amazing song. :yes:

Two Shots Of Happy is a wonderful song as well as Love Is Blindness. I get goosebumps everytime I listen to Edge's guitar solo.....amazing.......

And another one: Tomorrow. That song and the lyrics are incredible.

Maybe more to come. :D That thread is cool!

Definitely 'Tomorrow', that song is so powerful! I've always liked 'Luminous Times' too,

I love you cause I need too,
not because I need you,
I love you cause I understand,
that God has given me your hand,
Holds me in a tiny fist,
but still I need your kiss,
Hold on to love

Those lyrics get me every time. In fact, why was that song not on any album? Too good to be a b-side!

Will you be back tomorrow...can I sleep tonight?

That vulnerability is incredible. :sad:

wow tough question

list off the top of my head

• we're one but we're not the same, we got to carry each other, carry each other
  • somewhere I can taste the salt of the sea, there's a kite blowing outta control on a breeze
  • If the sky can crack, there must be some way back
  • You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
  • I have climbed highest mountains, I have run through the fields only to be with you
  • My love, she throws me like a rubber ball
  • looking for to fill that god shaped hole

oh sugar, don't you cry
oh child, wipe the tears from your eyes

--"Ultraviolet"

I know there are more...

Great topic, by the way. :)

bono_luvva said:
what is it with U2 and stars falling from the sky...??!!
:D Somehow I feel as if you spoke to me. :D

Love, we shine like a burning star, we're falling from the sky tonight. -The Fly

I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill. -One Tree Hill

And also other verses. An often used expression in U2 songs.

I read about a theory that Bono and Edge often using the words 'moon/star/sun' as hidden meanings for 'lover/wife'. I think it is on Olive's site. And however, the wife is most often the sun and the moon is the lover and the sun burns the moon often in U2 songs or makes the moon look small and unimportant (no real lyrics by hand right now, but on AB and PoP are a lot of these phrases). And I believe that stars are a bit of an inbetween in this way of explaining. I'm the only one with this weird mind, I guess, but I love to think about the meaning of stars in U2 songs. :D

And when I?m flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There?s a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder whats gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

I don?t believe in cocaine got a speedball in my head
I could cut and crack you open do you hear what I said...
I don?t believe in 60s golden age of pop
You glorify the past when the future dries up...
I don?t believe that rocknroll can really change the world
As it spins in revolutions it spirals and turns
I.... I believe in love

And a fucked up world it is too

All I want is yoooooouuuuuuuuuu

If I could you know I would If I could I would
Let it go

FallingStar said:
I read about a theory that Bono and Edge often using the words 'moon/star/sun' as hidden meanings for 'lover/wife'. I think it is on Olive's site. And however, the wife is most often the sun and the moon is the lover and the sun burns the moon often in U2 songs or makes the moon look small and unimportant (no real lyrics by hand right now, but on AB and PoP are a lot of these phrases). And I believe that stars are a bit of an inbetween in this way of explaining. I'm the only one with this weird mind, I guess, but I love to think about the meaning of stars in U2 songs. :D

It's interesting that you should say that. Since U2 has been around for so long, they have given critics, fans, and scholars so much material to analyse. Some of the articles and theories I read remind me of how we analysed Shakespeare in high school.

Yet I have to ask, (and I did ask of Shakespeare) did U2 intend all these metaphors throughout the stages of their albums, or did they just sort of "happen" or "evolve" subconsciously? Just a thought.

No matter what, I love hearing analysis' of their songs and symbolisms. They are so intriguing. This sort of stuff is what I love about being a fan. They make me think and search.

UltravioletU2 said:
Yet I have to ask, (and I did ask of Shakespeare) did U2 intend all these metaphors throughout the stages of their albums, or did they just sort of "happen" or "evolve" subconsciously? Just a thought.
That is a good point. :yes: Mostly I don't believe that poets or authors really thought about every tiny piece of what they wrote. I think Shakespeare as well as a lot of authors thought A LOT about their stuff, but didn't really aim on getting another metaphor into this paragraph and two in the next one or so.

With U2 I think they did often intend to do so. There aren't incredible much metaphors in their lyrics and maybe these interpretation of sun/moon/stars could be one of them they worked on because they appreared in a lot of different albums of them.

Like Bono said: "The best is when the music just comes." Words come into his mind, pour out of his mouth and somehow between Bongolese and real words, stuck and give the songs their uniquenesse. :)

Oh, cripes, I have tons I could pick from.

First off, I have to say every single lyric in the songs "So Cruel" and "The Fly". I can't pick my favorite lyric(s) from those two songs-both songs have fantastic lyrics the entire way through (especially "The Fly"...I don't know what it is about those lyrics that make me love them so much, but...wow).

And as for personal favorites from certain songs, I'll just pick 5 for now, if and when I think of more, I'll add on to this thread:

"Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus
To the lepers in your head?"

"Well, it's too late
Tonight
To drag the past out into the light"

I don't think I need to explain how amazing those lyrics to that song are-I think they speak for themselves.

"He went deeper into black
Deeper into white
He could see the stars shine
Like nails in the night
He felt the healing
Healing
Healing
Healing hands of love
Like the stars
Shiny
Shiny
From above

He put his hand in the pocket
His fingers on the steel
The pistol weighed heavy
His heart he could feel
Was beating
Beating
Beating
Beating, oh, my love
Oh, my love
Oh, my love
Oh, my love"

The darkness of this entire song in general sets a mood, and then this part here...I can just see this all happening while Bono's singing this part in my mind. And there's a bit of suspense in the lyrics at this part, which I can feel when listening to it. Plus, despite the dark tone to this song, that part is actually a good one to sing along to, in a twisted sort of way.

"So you never knew love
Until you crossed the line of grace
And you never felt wanted
Until you had someone slap your face
And you never felt alive
Until you'd almost wasted away"

I love this song. I think the entire song's lyrics are great, but this part in particular stands out because of the twisted sort of thing going here...like in the lyrics where you'd feel alive only after you'd almost completely wasted away and all that.

"See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you

Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you

Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for you"

I like how Bono decided to start this song, and those lyrics there, quietly...the quiet singing makes these lyrics that are already intense and moody on their own even more intense and moody. And poetic, too. This quiet start just adds to the emotion of the song and what the people in this song are going through and feeling and all that.

"I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire"

I love the descriptions in this part. Simple as that. :).

Angela

I have to many fav lyrics, but ill try to pic the best of them.

1. "Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief."

2. "Im a maaaaaan, not a child
A maaaaaaan who sees the shaddow behind your eyes."

3. "In my dream i was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows they learned to swim."

4. "If i could, yes i would
If i could, i would let it go."

5. "I know that the tide is turning 'round
... dont let the bastards gring you down."

Here's another one:

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore

That is one of the saddest things anyone could ever say to someone...such a heartbreaking line.

Someone mentioned "Tomorrow" early on in the thread, by the way-I love that song.

Which reminds me of another one:

October
And the trees are stripped bare
Of all they wear
What do I care?

Now does that describe the month of October and make it feel fall-like or what?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Here's another one:

I want you to know

I agree, very sad lyrics. :sad:

I find them interesting, because Bono said he originally wrote the song for his daughters, but after his father died, he felt as if the song was written to him from his father.

What I find interesting is how Bono originally wrote the song for two young girls, his daughters. I did hear the story of how they were flying the kite, wanted to play Pokemon, etc., However, to say to your young daughters, "you don't need me anymore" is strange. I guess he probably meant it on a light level (i.e. you are who you are, I've raised you how I did, now here is life), but we girls always need a father...

Moonlit_Angel said:
Here's another one:

I want you to know

That is one of the saddest things anyone could ever say to someone...such a heartbreaking line.

Yes... it broke my heart.

I love the part in Ultraviolet-

"You know I need you to be strong....
When the day is as dark as the night is long...."

Such great, meaningful lyrics.

I want you to know
I want you to know
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to know what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

This part brings me right to the heart of a recent breakup, hits home hard!

Jesus, I'm waiting here, boss
I know you're looking out for us
But maybe your hands aren't free.

Your Father, He made the world in seven
He's in charge of heaven.
Will you put a word in for me?

Wake up, wake up dead man
Wake up, wake up dead man.

This is a classic example of how I feel when prayers seem to fall on deaf ears! Alot like David crying out to God in Psalm 88..
I could go on....

FallingStar said:
:shocked: Khanada! I'm scandalized! That was Kite of course! :shame:
i even did a search on my comp! cuz i have all the lyrics printed out cuz of my site...maybe i got the lyrics for kite wrong :scratch:

actually, i checked, i have them listed, i remember i searched for "shadow behind your eyes" and nothing came up. wtf? *kicks comp for making her look like an ass* :wink:

I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight
Carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby

I know this song has nothing to do with a crush, but this verse really kinda put things in perspective for me last year when I did have a crush on a guy.

Angela

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom