Lyrics from the new album so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astepcloser24

The Fly
What are lyrics from the album so far that we know of?

"Every generation has a chance to change the world," "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" - IGCIIDGCT

"Choose your enemies carefully because they will define you" - Cedars of Lebanon

"Only love can leave such a mark" - Magnificient

I thought "Only love can reset your mind" was a line from Magnificent also, no?

"The songs are in your eyes" in Breathe (copied from Miracle Drug, but I always liked the line). I'd been hearing that for a few weeks, but wasn't sure about it until it was confirmed tonight.

Ok, those all suck.

The whole "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" lyric is ridiculous sounding. As a lyric it sounds awkward and doesn't make much sense and as a title it's way too long. It's the kind of title they'd have to shorten before they could even imagine releasing it as a single.

These lyrics are horrible. Exemplifies everything that is wrong with U2's lyrics today. Cliche'd "let's all make the world a better place by doing our very best!" crap. Annoying. If this is an indication of the album I'll very disappointed. Boots' lyrics were only passable.

Ok, those all suck.

The whole "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" lyric is ridiculous sounding. As a lyric it sounds awkward and doesn't make much sense and as a title it's way too long. It's the kind of title they'd have to shorten before they could even imagine releasing it as a single.

Yeah. I'm just glad they wouldn't ever sing about a citrus fruit or anything.

Ok, those all suck.

These lyrics are horrible. Exemplifies everything that is wrong with U2's lyrics today. Cliche'd "let's all make the world a better place by doing our very best!" crap. Annoying. If this is an indication of the album I'll very disappointed. Boots' lyrics were only passable.

you =
DebbieDownerRachaelDratch.jpg

tearstastesogood.gif

As for more lyrics. There's also something in Stand Up Comedy to the effect of "Stand up to rock stars / Napoleon in high heels / Josephine be careful / Of small men with big ideas" Weird lol

"The songs are in your eyes" in Breathe (copied from Miracle Drug, but I always liked the line). I'd been hearing that for a few weeks, but wasn't sure about it until it was confirmed tonight.

When was this confirmed and who confirmed it?

Listening to Beach Clipz '08, I seriously doubted U2 would recycle such a lyric so blatantly.....

rumoured lyrics:

The future needs a big kiss
Winds blows with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts aren’t real

Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful you are
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up
We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I don’t want to talk about wars between nations

Not right now

Hey sexy boots...
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

Hey sexy boots
I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

it sure sounds like it.... second line of the pre-chorus... sounds to me more like 'the songs are in OUR eyes'

Oh I agree it's there, but I thought U2 would have changed it since the beach clips, like it was just used until a better lyric had been written...

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound
That part is gonna suck, I just know it. Bono you've really messed things up again, arse!

When was this confirmed and who confirmed it?

Listening to Beach Clipz '08, I seriously doubted U2 would recycle such a lyric so blatantly.....

Not confirmed, actually Q Magazine mentions that it's Step, not Walk="Walk out into the street.." was apparently changed to "Step out in the street.." so who can say if any of those lyrics are still the same?

And I hear "the songs are in our lives" but it could be eyes, I'm not going to argue over the authenticity of the lyrics from a fucking beach clip.

Ok, those all suck.

The whole "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" lyric is ridiculous sounding. As a lyric it sounds awkward and doesn't make much sense

Translation: I'll go insane if I don't let off a little steam tonight. Crazy 'mad' vs crazy 'wild'. It's a play on words, but it only works if you play along.

and as a title it's way too long. It's the kind of title they'd have to shorten before they could even imagine releasing it as a single.

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Dunno, the 'enemies define you' wasn't so bad. 'Only love' is fine. 'Every generation' is a little too direct, but you know these are all out of context. It's really to early to judge until they're paired with the rest of the lyrics, and sung to music.

And for the record, the lyrics in the Clip3 Boots are clearly different as well. I don't know what he's singing but it's obviously not the exact same.

So dragging out the beach clip stuff is probably useless.
Especially given that most of all of it can't even be made out.

I've always understood what the meaning of the Crazy title meant, I just think it sounds extremely awkward and not intuitive all.

The "Choose you enemies carefully line" just annoys me. It seems so preachy (like the other lyrics), like Bono is trying to teach us a lesson. That's my biggest qualm with most of his lyrics today. It seems like he's always trying to preach to us. When I listen to music I don't want to hear about what we need to be like. Especially in such a cliche'd and uncreative way.

Ok, those all suck.

Trouble with lyrics is that taken out of context, they can sound terrible.

"And you give yourself away.
And you give, and you give, and you give yourself away"

"Oh, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

"baby baby baby,
baby baby baby,
baby baby baby,
light my way"

"please, please, please
get up off your knees"
(the infamous "knees" is there and it rhymes with "please"! :yikes: )

"kiss the sky"

"my mammy, Miami"

I can go on and on, but you get my point. All of these lyrics could sound ridiculous if read. Yet, they are from what most U2 fans consider are U2's best songs.

Part of the problem with pop or rock lyrics is that there is some repetition, rhyming and some non-sensical parts. But together, with the beat of the song, the blaring guitar and the soaring vocals, the song works. GOYB had strong lyrics - maybe not Bono's best, but did they need to be? The double meaning, the vagueness and ambiguity allowed us to create our own interpretations. Far better than a song like "My Life Would Suck Without You", which basically tells you about the entire song in the title.

Hence, I try not to pre-judge a few token notes or a few token lines or even a title of a song until I hear it completely. I recall the snippet of "Beautiful Day" that U2 gave away before the release of ATYCLB. It was the last 20-30 seconds at the end. Based on that ending, I envisioned a very different song. Pre-judging there was bad. ;) Similarly, did anyone have any idea that a song with a clumsy title like "Where the Streets Have No Name" would not only be one of U2's biggest hits, but one of the best concert songs of all time?

If, after you hear the song, you still aren't a fan, that's cool. But at least give the song a chance and recognize that while you may hate a lyric, some may love it.

Trouble with lyrics is that taken out of context, they can sound terrible.

"And you give yourself away.
And you give, and you give, and you give yourself away"

"Oh, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

"baby baby baby,
baby baby baby,
baby baby baby,
light my way"

"please, please, please
get up off your knees"
(the infamous "knees" is there and it rhymes with "please"! :yikes: )

"kiss the sky"

"my mammy, Miami"

I can go on and on, but you get my point. All of these lyrics could sound ridiculous if read. Yet, they are from what most U2 fans consider are U2's best songs.

Part of the problem with pop or rock lyrics is that there is some repetition, rhyming and some non-sensical parts. But together, with the beat of the song, the blaring guitar and the soaring vocals, the song works. GOYB had strong lyrics - maybe not Bono's best, but did they need to be? The double meaning, the vagueness and ambiguity allowed us to create our own interpretations. Far better than a song like "My Life Would Suck Without You", which basically tells you about the entire song in the title.

Hence, I try not to pre-judge a few token notes or a few token lines or even a title of a song until I hear it completely. I recally the snippet of "Beautiful Day" that U2 gave away before the release of ATYCLB. It was the last 20-30 seconds at the end. Based on that ending, I envisioned a very different song. Similarly, did you have any idea a song with a clumsy title like "Where the Streets Have No Name" would not only be one of U2's biggest hits, but one of the best concert songs of all time?

If, after you hear the song, you still aren't a fan, that's cool. But at least give the song a chance and recognize that while you may hate a lyric, some may love it.

I honestly don't have a problem with any of those lyrics. All of them are somewhat relative and can be taken in different ways (except the Miami one, but I never felt that those lyrics were meant to be anything but a little quirky). I remember when I first read the lyrics for L&POE and I thought to myself that they were pretty bad, but I wated for the song. After 4 years the song is one of my least favorite from the album because I can't stand those preachy, cliche'd lyrics. I don't need Bono preaching to me. I'm intellegent enough to form my own views.

I'm not saying the songs will be bad, I'm just saying that the thought of having to listen to those words every time I listen to the song is a huge disappointment to me. I want to be able to relate to a song the way I want to. These kinds of lyrics don't leave room for that.

I honestly don't have a problem with any of those lyrics. All of them are somewhat relative and can be taken in different ways (except the Miami one, but I never felt that those lyrics were meant to be anything but a little quirky). I remember when I first read the lyrics for L&POE and I thought to myself that they were pretty bad, but I wated for the song. After 4 years the song is one of my least favorite from the album because I can't stand those preachy, cliche'd lyrics. I don't need Bono preaching to me. I'm intellegent enough to form my own views.

I'm not saying the songs will be bad, I'm just saying that the thought of having to listen to those words every time I listen to the song is a huge disappointment to me. I want to be able to relate to a song the way I want to. These kinds of lyrics don't leave room for that.

but you can only say that because you have heard them in context. Any suggestion that you could make a judgement on the new lyrics without hearing them in context is frankly ignorant

Back
Top Bottom