Looking for opinions on the WGRYWH video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnTheEdge

Refugee
The video makes the song seem like it's directed at fans. The concert footage with the leaving just out of reach and such... and Bono with his glasses coming on and off. I've always thought of this a very personal song that only has to do with two people. So I'm confused. Is it just the director having fun? Did Bono suggest this or did he just appreciate the alternate interpretation from the people doing the video?

So has anyone here read something about this song that I haven't? Facts would be helpful, but I'd like opinions too.

Here are my opinions on this video, and I'm afraid they're not very profound.

1) The video overall is kind of boring and uncreative.

2) Bono looks so incredibly gorgeous in it that I practically faint when I view it.

biggrin.gif

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Here are my opinions on this video, and I'm afraid they're not very profound.

1) The video overall is kind of boring and uncreative.

2) Bono looks so incredibly gorgeous in it that I practically faint when I view it.

biggrin.gif

Woah.

I think number two cancels out the boringness cited in number one.
smile.gif

The video does seem a bit thoughtless, maybe it means nothing.

No comment on the video (it was standard early-90's fare basically, pleasant but unremarkable), but the single mix of this song really made sense of it. ie. the album version seems to drift aimlessly, saved mainly by some really good lyrics.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
No comment on the video (it was standard early-90's fare basically, pleasant but unremarkable), but the single mix of this song really made sense of it. ie. the album version seems to drift aimlessly, saved mainly by some really good lyrics.

I agree, the single mix is far better!

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

I saw an interview with the video's director (phil jonoah (sp?)) who spoke about the video's concept. He said he was uncertain as to how to make music videos, he didnt understand them. So he made a video that didn't try to be anything.. all he wanted to convey was the feeling of seeing them live I guess.
------------------
And I felt like a star...

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 12-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 12-28-2001).]

The video is spectacular for one reason. Bono. lol. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have any particular "point" to it. I do like that they keep the footage of Bono fucking up the lyrics in it tho.
biggrin.gif
And Larry with the cut motion.

-sula

I hate to say it but: Freaking ay yeah.
What is it man?! Bono looks gorgeous in that video! Geez.

Anyway, yeah... Dorian is right I guess. Just a standard concert video... w/ added hotness.

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 01-05-2002).]

Originally posted by mocool12:
I hate to say it but: Freaking ay yeah.
What is[i/] it man?! Bono looks gorgeous in that video! Geez.

Anyway, yeah... Dorian is right I guess. Just a standard concert video... w/ added hotness.

[This message has been edited by mocool12 (edited 01-04-2002).]

It's that washed-out, overexposed lighting that does it. It really suited Bono. The concert footage was a bit superfluous.

Tell you what video I always loved - Even Better Than The Real Thing. Especially that part where they're in the club and bono does that laying-on-of-the-hands/bowing gesture. Very cute.

------------------
"It wouldn't be cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

As I was reading this thread I was sort of like, "wtf are they talking about?" Dude, I suck at abbreviations and whatnot. But now I know what you mean. Damn, Bono is HOT in that video! well, they all are, but anyway...Yeah, I like the single version better too, although I still LOVE the album version. I think this was my first "favorite" U2 song back in the day...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

the video is terrible, but I helped lift the woman with the red beret onstage at Yankee Stadium in the video from the front row - which makes the video a piece of history for me.

Other than that - I think they just spliced some live footage together with Bono and a white screen in New York in one day.

They were simply feeding MTV...

zy

I believe that the band was in the middle of touring and didn't have time to properly make a tradional "video"......merely throwaway.

It's funny. For me, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses marks the beginning of my U2 discovery. Before that, I was blissfully ignorant and unaware of their music. Of course, I was also 12 at the time, so keep that in mind. But it was WGRYWH that got the ball rolling, and within the span of a few weeks, turned me into this die hard U2 fan.

I remember in late 1992, hearing the song maybe all of 3 times, and it really grew on me. I saw the video... and while now, 9 years later, reflecting on the actual video... you're right, as a U2 music video, it's kind of a bimbo. There's no substance, just Bono... and clips from live concerts... but no real story line, no irony, humour, political message, etc. It's rather "blah" for a U2 video.

But since that was the song where I started to become a fan, I was OBSESSED with that video and would watch it with such intense fascination and wonder... wonder about Bono...

Remember, at the age of 12, hormones have been kicked into place... and I started to develop this thing for Bono. Not necessarly a high school crush, but more or less, this deep fascination and admiration. And that video stole my heart, lol!

So that's the significance of the video for me.

Last edited:
[color=royal blue]I think I've only seen the video about once....so I couldn't say if I hated it or loved it...all I know is that the song means a lot to me, and sometimes a video for a song like that doesn't have to be really complicated

How would you have the video, if you could change it?
[/color]

to be honest i only try to see a U2 music video maybe only once. there music is very personal to me and i have my own visual interpretation of what certain songs mean to me. i did enjoy seeing the video for the song "a celebration"

Since the mix is called the "Temple Bar" version, I would shoot it in that area of town (Dublin). Showing the band going throughout the restaurants and bars (hotels) in that section of town mingling with the couples that Bono is singing about in the lyrics. I have more ideas..........

Back
Top Bottom