'Last Night On Earth' video meaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
Of those of us who have seen this video, many are puzzled on the meaning of it. A few questions to interpret.
1)Who is the girl? Literal meaning? Metaphorical Meaning?

2)Who is the old man? Who does he represent?

3)Does the light control the man?, or vice versa?

4)What year/model is that car? (J/K)
tongue.gif

------------------
"The plaque for the alternates is down by the ladies room."

Hmm... good question...
I've only seen it once but here goes!
They guys in the band are following the girl (that's the impression I got anyway), and they end up at the light... which probably has some sort of religious symbolism, or spiritual... maybe she knows something that they don't (eg; The world is ending?
smile.gif
)... and they need to follow her to reach the light and save themselves from whatever (damnation, obliteration, etc...) Maybe the girl is Jesus? But then if she's the girl they sing about in the song, that wouldn't make sense... *shrug*
Ah, who ever said U2 had to make sense??
smile.gif

I'll watch it some more and get back to you...

------------------
I'm not the only one, staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'd find
If you took a look inside...

NO FE++ S+$ N+ B- C~ L++ O++ CV(and a half-+) PO11
http://www.atu2.com/fanzone/code/

Looking over some of the "ancient" threads, I was intrigued by this topic because it's something I've always wondered about. I think "Last Night on Earth" is one of U2's most bizzare yet intriguing videos. I like what Alisaura has to say, but thought I'd bring this to the top to get some fresh insights, as Interference.com has obviously picked up lots of new members since 2000.

So, what do you all think the "story" behind this video is?

well, I have no idea
I do know that IMO it's the worst video they ever released (by a landslide)

perhaps that could change if someone could find a meaning for this mess of lemons

The old man is William Burroughs, famous author and subverter of society

His appearance at the end of the clip seems to be a nod to his celebrity and also seems to be a bit of irony. I believe Burroughs is supposed to be the one who's been shining the light and zapping all the people who keep dying/turning to jelly.

I've always interpreted the clip as the band's search for the meaning of everything (their own celebrity, their faith, their music, etc.). Along the way they pick up a girl who seems to be confident and know the answers (she is, after all, living like it's the last night on earth ;) ). They follow her around, doing all kinds of stuff. Eventually, she deserts them. They, being men, follow her. She fearlessly walks into the light (which, I assume, has been the cause of havoc). When the band sees what she's done, they follow her and find the old man, William Burroughs, who is supposedly the meaning of everything.

Of course, I could go on for pages talking about symbolism and such... but I'll stop now. lol

No. I believe LNOE video is about the illusion in which we live... the world is fake and the lights represent a collapse of that illusion, like if the barrier was broken... the old man represents those who control us: probably politicians... because they make this illusion...

the girl knows that everything is fake: even people are made of plastic (you can see people melting on the video) so she just lives like it was "the last night on earth", she lives on high, because is all she can do.

This song/clip could also be about Plato?s Cave, just like Staring At the Sun.

in the end of the clip we can read: THE TRUTH IS REALLY OUT OF HERE

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Felipevox, I like your interpretation. It's quite interesting however it never looked to me as though the people were melting, but more like they had been "slimed". I don't know, as it's been a while since I saw the video.

Salome, you could be right. It may just be absolute crap. I can't decide if there is some intricately planned out story behind all the cryptic images or if it's just a thrown-together, hey-this-would-look-cool sort of thing. Who comes up with the ideas for the videos, anyway?

The video had William S. Burroughs at the end of it. The author of "The Naked Lunch"...that's good enough for me.:applaud: (He passed away, shortly after making that video. It was last public appearance)

I know. I was serious. I've looked back in the archives for stuff this old and the posts seemed to run out around 2004. Like, no previous posts listed, can't scroll back any further.

They filmed this in Kansas City during their tour, seeking a nondescript, post apocalyptic downtown skyline. I remember a slightly offended article about it in the KC Star

Back
Top Bottom