LAPOE: what does Bono mean by....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seankirkland

The Fly
"...I'm not easy on my knees." What do you think this means? He's uncomfortable praying? He's an intense prayer warrior??

Seeing as how in Vertigo, he says, "Your love is teaching me how to kneel...." does this give any context?

Curious....

I think he means "it takes a lot to make me be scared of world/life/death".

Similar feel to "I'm not afraid of anything in this world" line on ATYCLB.

I think he means he's not very humble. It's hard for him to beseech people for things.

Yet, that's what he's been doing, running around the world, begging people to forgive third world debt and give AIDS drugs to Africa and whatnot... Damn, he's cool. But I digress.

I love singing that line really loud in the car. I think it means more with "need some release" because even though he's not "easy on his knees," it's clearly what he's been doing and it's probably making him very frustrated that everyone doesn't just "lay down [their] treasure" already.

thousandfold said:
I think he means he's not very humble. It's hard for him to beseech people for things.

Yet, that's what he's been doing, running around the world, begging people to forgive third world debt and give AIDS drugs to Africa and whatnot... Damn, he's cool. But I digress.

I love singing that line really loud in the car. I think it means more with "need some release" because even though he's not "easy on his knees," it's clearly what he's been doing and it's probably making him very frustrated that everyone doesn't just "lay down [their] treasure" already.

Good thoughts/insights :up:

I don't think it's a matter of him not being humble, to be honest. I know many people think Bono is an egomaniac, but he's just confident of who he is. The "easy on my knees" makes sense in that he prays alot for peace. If he had a problem with asking people for help with 3rd world debt and/or AIDS relief, he wouldn't do it as much. The "need some release" does make sense in that he needs to see some good come of all the praying, asking people for help, etc. "I don't know if I can make it..." implies the weariness and frustration that comes from all the globe-trotting, but seeing no change in the state of things...... just some thoughts.

I personally think there can be many interpertations , and possibly more than one meaning/intention, behind the lyrics. Bono is quite skilled at writing lyrics, poetic actually, so his words can have multiple layers. Anyhoo...I think the thoughts you guys have expressed all make sense.
Here's to sittin on the fence!
:p

When U2 won all those Grammys a couple years ago, Bono said, "I'm feeling a very foreign emotion now... I think it's called humility." He's also made many references to being a megalomaniac. I'm not saying it's not mostly in jest, I'm just saying that's my basis. He might be humble before the Lord or whatever, but he'd sure be a boring performer if he was humble everywhere else!

I think he's also refering to his age. I know my dad (who's also in his mid 40s) complains about his aching knees alot. . .

but that's just me :wink:

DMA gives a good interpretation. I would additionally suggest he means he's having trouble keeping the faith.

Back
Top Bottom