Lady With the Spinning Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I think that Lady with the Spinning Head was an ancestor of The Fly--like they started off working on a different song and it grew into The Fly--and Always grew into Beautiful Day.

Lady with the Spinning Head (extended dance remix) is one of my absolute favourite U2 90's songs.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

The backing guitar riff~~it's from Achtung Baby. They did the same thing with Always and Beautiful Day. Why?

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Lady with the Spinning Head (extended dance remix) is one of my absolute favourite U2 90's songs.

You rock DOL sister.
biggrin.gif

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

Grab your One single and read the the tracklisting. Next to Lady with the Spinning Head it says, "(UV1)" or something like that. Ultraviolet version 1.

MAP

Adding to this, I found a recording on Audiogalaxy of a song called "Morning Child" that eventually evolved into WGRYWH. The chorus of this was, "don't turn around, don't turn around again..." Pretty cool!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Grab your One single and read the the tracklisting. Next to Lady with the Spinning Head it says, "(UV1)" or something like that. Ultraviolet version 1.

MAP

*grabs for one single*

*realizes she doesn't have it on account of her being 7 when it was released*

*cries*

That is an interesting point though. Thanks!

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

"Lady With the Spinning Head" is very similar to a cut on the Berlin Bootlegs (Axtung Beibi Outtakes) from the 1990 Hansa recording sessions. On my version, the working title for the track is, comically, "The Gnat." It shows how the song was the early inception of both The Fly and Ultraviolet.
There are a series of tracks on these tapes that grew into other songs. "Morning Child" is a perfect example of it. I think there's about 5-6 takes that are similar to "Wild Horses."
There's also early versions of "Even Better," "Trying to Throw," "Until the End of the World," "Where Did It All Go Wrong," and SEVERAL takes of "Salome," (by which the bootlegs are also known.)
There's also a track (known as "Horns and Thorns") that sounds simultaneously like "North and South of the River," and "Stuck in a Moment."
The tapes tell a lot about how U2 works as songwriters, and it's probably accurate to assume that "Always" grew in this same way into "Beautiful Day."

What mixing bliss said.
smile.gif
Lilly, I have the AB outtakes on CD, if you want to listen to them sometime. They are good times and very interesting in terms of seeing the progressions of musical and lyrical ideas. Rough but fascincating (only for dead-head fans like us.
tongue.gif
)

i have all the songs, but i don't see these titles. it's so confusing cuz according to different boots, one song can have two or three different titles. so i have no idea which songs people refer to half the time. *goes to look at lyrics*

so interesting how some songs morph into others...

I would love to be a Fly on the wall in the studio.

it would be amazing...

Back
Top Bottom