Lady With The Spinning Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sting

The Fly
I don't know what the title means let alone the song... any insight?

If I'm not mistaken, the song is about gambling. The "lady" in question being Lady Luck.
There's also a reference in the song to a roulette wheel (She's got the red, she put me in the black), so in this instance the "spinning head" might be referring to a roulette wheel, which spins.
Though going into a broader range of thought "spinning head" could refer to luck as a whole, as luck, particularly in the context of gambling, is such an inconstant thing.

Wow. Looking at the lyrics that totally makes sense. Figure of Eight, Six and Nine again(that six and nine part can be misleading obviously)
Thank you!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
If I'm not mistaken, the song is about gambling. The "lady" in question being Lady Luck.
There's also a reference in the song to a roulette wheel (She's got the red, she put me in the black), so in this instance the "spinning head" might be referring to a roulette wheel, which spins.
Though going into a broader range of thought "spinning head" could refer to luck as a whole, as luck, particularly in the context of gambling, is such an inconstant thing.

:up:

Is this song not an early mixture of Ultra Violet and The Fly... as evident by two guitar riffs played one after another towards the end.

ew. I thought it was more . . .

a lady who spins about reason. Is unseasonably cold one day and then another day warm. A lady who can see both sides to an issue. She can, perhaps, see both sides of being Conservative and Liberal. Figure of 8 would be her wish to skate in a figure of 8 and her wish to love her hubby 6 and 9. Which is complete bullshit. Who would of thought of it?! ha . I bet. never mind. Bono doesn't gamble anyway.

Re: ew. I thought it was more . . .

nozomi said:
Figure of 8 would be her wish to skate in a figure of 8 and her wish to love her hubby 6 and 9. Which is complete bullshit. Who would of thought of it?! ha . I bet. never mind. Bono doesn't gamble anyway.

What's bullshit? Bono doesn't gamble?:huh:

Re: ew. I thought it was more . . .

nozomi said:
a lady who spins about reason. Is unseasonably cold one day and then another day warm. A lady who can see both sides to an issue. She can, perhaps, see both sides of being Conservative and Liberal. Figure of 8 would be her wish to skate in a figure of 8 and her wish to love her hubby 6 and 9. Which is complete bullshit. Who would of thought of it?! ha . I bet. never mind. Bono doesn't gamble anyway.

????

Put the crack pipe down...
step sloooowly away from the pipe.

:wink:

:lmao:

Always wondered why he chose those numbers...

8 look a lil like the symbol of infinity... and 69.. well, u know the meaning..

But I'll go for the most simple explanation: Bono chose the numbers by chance!

lady luck said:
:lmao:

Always wondered why he chose those numbers...

8 look a lil like the symbol of infinity... and 69.. well, u know the meaning..

But I'll go for the most simple explanation: Bono chose the numbers by chance!

No, Bono actually answered this question with a quick "well it is the most equal sexual position".

The Real Meaning

Having to read "Five People You Meet in Heaven" for school, I needed a little Charles Bukowski to cleanse the reading pallete.

Anyhow, on page 14 of Bukowski's "Hollywood" it reads:
"On the table he had a little roulette wheel, electrically controlled, it was set off whirling with the push of a button. He had stacks of chips and a long sheet of paper full of calculations. There was also a betting board. He placed the chips, pushed the button, said, 'It is my Lady with the Spinning Head. I am in Love'
Jon came out with the drinks"

a perfect match given:
1: Bono's love for BukowskiI
2: the images created in the song of luck

cheers,

Ian

Last edited:
Re: The Real Meaning

idoreian said:
Having to read "Five People You Meet in Heaven" for school, I needed a little Charles Bukowski to cleanse the reading pallete.

Anyhow, on page 14 of Bukowski's "Hollywood" it reads:
"On the table he had a little roulette wheel, electrically controlled, it was set off whirling with the push of a button. He had stacks of chips and a long sheet of paper full of calculations. There was also a betting board. He placed the chips, pushed the button, said, 'It is my Lady with the Spinning Head. I am in Love'
Jon came out with the drinks"

a perfect match given:
1: Bono's love for BukowskiI
2: the images created in the song of luck

cheers,

Ian

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Think you've hit the nail on the head

Nice one.

Back
Top Bottom