"Kite" about the world without Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've always liked Kite since I first heard it, but I never really thought much about the lyrics. But about a week ago I was listening to the Bono-Charlie Rose interview, and Bono said something about how others' deaths made him think about mortality and in at least some part inspired Kite. I was intrigued, and so now after some thought I have a little interpretation of Kite as sort of a message from Bono to his family/friends when he's on his deathbed. Since this forum doesn't get much action, I figured I might as well post here (also, I doubt that many people ever look here, so if all I'm going to say is totally obvious or stupid, not that many people will know!). Anyway, here goes (and please tell me what you think!):

Something
Is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it means
I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

In the beginning, death is approaching, and Bono knows it (he can feel it coming). He's not afraid, though, and when he's lying in a coffin (flat on his back) he hopes to feel that he really lived life to the fullest.

And hardness
It sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

Here Bono is speaking to his family or those close to him. They'll obviously be upset at his impending death, and those who are more emotionally fragile (his children, perhaps?) will be especially hurt.

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone
Or anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Which way the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Bono is telling his loved ones (and maybe also his fans) that they don't need him anymore to soften the blow of his death. Here the loved ones are compared to a Kite blowing in the breeze. It's all very uncertain- Bono doesn't know what's in store for them after his death. Then in this last section, Bono's faith comes up; it's not goodbye because they will meet again in the afterlife.

It's summer, I can taste the salty sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Again the kite metaphor is repeated. The future is uncertain. Bono ponders what will happen to his loved ones once he's gone, and he thinks back to how he got to his current state.

I'm a man
I'm not a child
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Bono has grown and matured through the course of his life (he's a man...no longer a "Boy"). He sees the sadness behind his loved ones' eyes. He knows they're upset about his death.

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Where the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

The chorus repeats.

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

Here Bono reflects back upon his life and decides that it was pretty fulfilling. Then he imparts a bit of wisdom to those he's leaving behind and tells them that life should be enjoyable.

The last of the rocks stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

This last verse is obviously a reference to himself and the band. I'm not sure what "new media" signifies; I was thinking that maybe it could be a reference to ZooTV since that was about the media's role in our lives. Also, the Flanagan book mentions how many groups that were big in the 80s along with U2 didn't change with the times and therefore died out, while U2 reinvented itself with Achtung Baby and remained popular. During the ZooTV era hip hop was "driving big cars" and gaining popularity while the rock stars were dying out. However, U2 managed to succeed because of their idea of new media- Achtung Baby and
ZooTV/Zooropa tours.

There are definitely lots of lyrics in Kite that may relate to death and reading through that interpretation seems totally true.Thinking about a world without Bono is just way too scary though!!
eek.gif

------------------
love like you've never been hurt,work like you don't need the money and dance like no on is watching

Giant Lemon~

I agree with your observations. It is a sad yet reassuring song. I love the line "I know that this is not goodbye" because it's a reminder that death is not the end of somebody; they live on through memories and such.

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

Sort of like "A Day Without Me", but 20 years later. I agree with Bonochick about the line "I Know that this is not goodbye". In light of losing my wife three years ago to breast cancer, that line especially rings true for me.

------------------
And love is not the easy thing... The only baggage you can bring... Is all that you can't leave behind.

[This message has been edited by majxtc (edited 07-14-2001).]

Thanks for all the comments, guys. It's nice to know that some people read this forum!
smile.gif

------------------
"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono, 5/9/01

That was great, Giant Lemon, and you even cleared something up for me in the first verse which I had misinterpreted.

I think that the bit following "I'm a man" also describes the person he is singing to as trying to disguise his/her feelings, but Bono seeing through it.

I always thought the ending was a bit out of place, so I'm wondering if it refers to a specific event.

I agree with your interpretation GiantLemon, but I also feel that this song is not ONLY about death. I think the song was inspired by death, specifically the death of Michael Hutchence, and I also believe that Bono's father was sick at that time. So with that in mind, the song was written. But this song is about letting go. letting go of your children, parents, or any relationship for that matter. In fact the song was called "Kite", according to Bono, because something about him and his two daughters trying to fly a kite and Bono trying to be a good father while the kite came crashing down. Something like that. Any way I see it as about a relationship that is frayed. Bono is aware of the impending gloom that is about to occur in the relationship. That's why he can "see the shadow behind your eyes" as he is a man who knows this rumble is coming. Yes, the song is about mortality, but I think its more about the death of a relationship rather than the death of bono himself.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I agree with your interpretation GiantLemon, but I also feel that this song is not ONLY about death. I think the song was inspired by death, specifically the death of Michael Hutchence, and I also believe that Bono's father was sick at that time. So with that in mind, the song was written. But this song is about letting go. letting go of your children, parents, or any relationship for that matter. In fact the song was called "Kite", according to Bono, because something about him and his two daughters trying to fly a kite and Bono trying to be a good father while the kite came crashing down. Something like that. Any way I see it as about a relationship that is frayed. Bono is aware of the impending gloom that is about to occur in the relationship. That's why he can "see the shadow behind your eyes" as he is a man who knows this rumble is coming. Yes, the song is about mortality, but I think its more about the death of a relationship rather than the death of bono himself.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Good interpretation...although I personally thought (being a mom) that the song was about parents letting go of children when they grow up and move away...and oddly enough I have heard other parents saying the song spoke to them in the same way...but there are many layers to their songs...

Dream wanderer

So is the "fright" Bono spoke about in a more recent interview about his Pappy being sick? Hence the whole album taking a more somber, almost religous slant? Just wonderin...

I read somewhere that it was just him feeling a little mortal and wanting to get something down. I guess it was around the time of Hutchence dying etc, and there were a few other people close to him as well (his kids nanny or something?) that died or were sick at the time of the recording, and whenever someone close to you dies, you do suddenly feel very mortal, 'cause you never know when that drunk driver is going to cross to your side of the road etc and you do hope that everyone you know and love gets that little message from you.

I've always thought that this is exactly what Kite was about.
Originally while the album was in the works, Bono had said he'd written a song about a day he spent with his girls flying a kite on a hill and it ocurred to him, what if he wasnt there?

For me personally, the song came just at a time when I needed it. I had just lost my father to cancer and it felt as though the song was written for me. It was a little tough to listen to after first hearing it.

I do think the whole album holds this theme of thinking about what you have and stepping forward without regret and not trying to hold onto things that don't matter. Keeping with you the things that will see you through to the next step and not worrying about the past.

Kite will always be a very emotional song for me.

You can take your Dylans, Morrisons and Daltrys...I don't think there is any better songwriter past or present than Bono. The stories, the complexity, the emotion hidden within seemingly simple lyrics...not to mention the amazing band behind him...just can't be touched.

------------------
Nothin' much to say I guess...just the same as all the rest

I don't think the song is about Bono only having a few months left atleast I hope not however I agree with your points made.Maybe it is about his Dad who I hope has a long while left to live also.

The thought of no Bono in this world is a very grim one.I don't think I could cope.He symbolises most of my hope for the world. People who care about the world and people around them seem to be dying out and I couldn't cope in a world totally full of selfish uncaring people.

He dedicated it to his dad last night and said that his dad only had 2 or 3 days left.
How sad is that.Poor Bono.I feel so sorry for him.

Originally posted by UV2001:
He dedicated it to his dad last night and said that his dad only had 2 or 3 days left.
How sad is that.Poor Bono.I feel so sorry for him.

Oh my God! That's so sad....my thoughts and prayers go out to the Hewson family...

I really like the discussions in here... I wish there were more of them!

At the London show the other night, the day Bob Hewson died - Bono dedicated it to his father. He said "this song is a song that I thought I wrote the lyrics for my kids, but I think my old man wrote them for me...." it's a very touching performance with Bono's voice breaking throughout it... gets me weepy everytime I listen to it!
frown.gif

------------------
It's no secret that the stars, are falling from the sky...
-Kathleen-

Back
Top Bottom