It's simple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slane

Babyface
It hit me a few years back.

It's no secret that Bono writes lyrics that deal with spirituality, but I think it's to a much greater extent than many people realize.

If you substitute the word "God" for the word "Love" in virtually any U2 song, the spiritual meaning becomes clear and is, for the most part, always very biblically sound.

It's my theory that Bono was struck by 1 John 4:16 "...God is love..." a long time ago and decided to refer to Christ as "love" in his songwriting.

IMO, it's his way of evangelizing without being preachy.

Pick any song - Try it - it's pretty interesting.

(I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this)

------------------
Slidehow, seaside town, coca cola, football, radio...radio...radio...radio

Yeah but God and love are the same thing so what difference does it make?when you love you are being Godly.

Are you saying that LOVE is like their code word for GOD and they mean GOD when

Um, I dont think that is the case. I would like to think that is how it is but they are not THAT single focused. I dont think they would do that. I have been following them for 17 years and I know their love for God and relationship with Christ but I dont think thy are doing this with their lyrics.

However, I do believe that the LOVE U2 speaks of is probably AGAPE love, the love that comes from God. But I dont think they are LITERALLY meaning GOD everytime they say LOVE.

But who knows! Lets ask Bono (as if it was that easy).

Bu

I guess that's where we differ. I DO think that's what Bono is doing in his writing. Maybe not every time, and maybe it's mixed, even within a song, but I am convinced that he's subsituting the word God with the word Love in many, many instances.

One of the more recent examples is is in the song "Please" - "...Love is big and love is tough, but Love is not, what you're thinking of..."

Some other examples:

"One" - "...one Love, we get to share it - it leaves you baby if you don't care for it..."

"Until the End of the World" - in the bridge between the 2nd and 3rd verse, the only words Bono sings are "Love, love, love..." - in this song, which is Judas speaking to a resurrected Jesus, the space between those verses would be where Christ goes to the cross and becomes the essence of "Love" to atone for the sin of mankind.

"Red Hill Mining Town" -

"I'm hanging on
You're all that's left to hold on to
I'm still waiting
I'm hanging on
You're all that's left to hold on to
Love...slowly stripped away
Love...has seen its better day"

there's many more, but I am out of time...

Back
Top Bottom