Is there a story behind Big Girls are Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it may have been about/during Ali's last pregnancy.... the big girls r pregnant/recent Moms.

Something like this....

a Pop leftover that was worked on in LA. Edge describes it as a song that has a really good groove but a kind of throwaway.

No idea but it has been one of the best B-sides from the last couple of years.

Very different from ATYCLB era songs.

edit: ah and now i know why: POP leftover, and a very good leftover indeed.

Last edited:
Yeah, yummy leftover!

It was on the Target 7 cd too ... that's where I got it.

I was wondering if it was inspired by all the band's super-model friends (big = tall) - but then it has a lot of pregnancy references too...hmmm....

The Disciple said:
I think it may have been about/during Ali's last pregnancy.... the big girls r pregnant/recent Moms.

Yeah, I think that's the offical take on it. I read that somewhere (I think it was in "Into the Heart", but I can't find the dang thing:eyebrow: really gotta clean house:( ).

Of course fan interpetations range from pregnant Brazilions walking along beaches to "it's a song about fat chicks!":lol:

I was reading U2 by U2 yesterday and I think it was Bono who referred to their supermodel friends as "the big girls" but I don't know that it has anything to do with the actual song. I've only heard the pregnant/grown woman explanation before and the lyrics seem to support that take on it. Do U2 songs ever have one meaning?

I used 2 sing it 2 my x-wife when she was pregnant. Especially when she'd b down on herself.... :sad:

bratty_cat said:
Do U2 songs ever have one meaning?

I don't think so. Even if Bono had one thing in mind when he was writing it, there are always other things under the surface, and other ways you can read the lyrics. That's one thing I love about U2 songs. :)

Back
Top Bottom