In 'Kite'.......what..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
When Bono sings:

The last of the rocks stars
When hip-hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
What was the big idea

Right, I know and appreciate the time I had the 'life should be fragrant' lyrics explained but these two?

Im just, trying to figure out.......in my dumb mind:

Last of rock stars, hiphop drove - has this to do with Rock N Roll dying and that big names, big pple, who went about in large old-fashioned cars, is no longer in present times? ( I really dunno...........this is funny of me, isnt it? !:D)

and - New media, was the big idea - has this to do with Media being pushed so far into ur face, it possibly gives u an idea of something for your life?

:confused:

please help, for I would REALLY like to know?

urs

daft maddie.....

:kiss:

The last of the rocks stars
When hip-hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
What was the big idea

The last ppl of the old tradition of real rock
musik026.gif
getting fewer and fewer while those bubble gum pop/hop hip guys
musik002.gif
got more and more and more and more - :scream:------I read somewhere that Zoo TV was meant with new media - so when the big idea was still present and up (so around the time of Zoo TV) and the 'real' rock stars were playing for a living, you could already see that not the rock stars but the hip-hop doods were getting the cash and the real big cars. And the last line What was the big idea well...a shout for what the right thing is if not Zoo TV or stuff alike!

musik001.gif

Last edited:
I heard, too, that this final line is sort of a "millenium stamp" if you will. Bono has said to put this line in there to put a time frame on the song, a historical time signature if you will, to say this was written at the break of the new millenium.:wave:

To me it sounds like a death knell for all sorts of things, not just "old time rock 'n roll," and I think tackleberry is right. Whenever I hear that line, I think of, like, 1999, when the dot-com bubble hadn't burst yet and we were still living in the days of late-90s conspicuous consumption and bubblegum pop. It's weird, actually, to realize that those days really ARE over--they were only a few years ago.

I love kite, and these lyrics are cool, but I do not think they fit into the song.

When hip hop drove the big cars.

Hip hop is becoming so main stream that they're almost taking over the rock stars. They're driving in the proverbial biggest cars right now. I.e. right now, hip hop is BIG.

When New Media was the big idea.

:shrug:

I like what was written about the time stamp for the millenium. Makes sense to me!

Back
Top Bottom