In a Lifetime....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
I guess this is the right forum for such a post
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard many fans views on "In a Lifetime" that Bono did with Clannad in '85.. I haven't heard it until just recently and I'm stunned -- I went out and bought a Clannad c.d. (Lore). It's good stuff.. very soothing music.. I listen to it all the time to unwind. -- I suggest it. Anyway, I think Bono's vocals sound unreal on this song. Just wanted to see how everyone else felt about it (Clannad, In a Lifetime, etc.)
smile.gif

I agree with you Bebe that Bono's vocals are outstanding on this song. You can feel that raw emotion in his voice when he sings it. The biggest problem with this song is that it's too short!

The video clip is great also - a kind of rugged looking Bono with long hair (the phase between UF and JT!) singing with Maire from Clannad. During the video they kind of stand back to back and never make eye contact with each other whilst singing. Definitely not one of those corny "duets"!

If anyone doesn't have this song, I recommend you get it soon! It's on the Clannad album (1986?) called "Macalla" or else I'm sure you can download the song from Napster.

Happy listening!

------------------
"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away..."

could have sowrn I already posted this
eek.gif

That is Bono truly singing like he never had before.

one of alltime favourite Bono moments.

Bebe, we'll have to synchronise it next time I'm in chat!!!

Larry's drumstick -- I agree the song is just too short! It fades out leaving me wanting more
biggrin.gif

I've never seen the video clip but it sounds very interesting...

Yes zooropamanda, you're on!!! hehe U2 makes synchronization an outting
biggrin.gif

I expected others would feel Bono sounds great as well -- it sounds as if his voice just lifts beyond the music... I dunno maybe I'm crazy
biggrin.gif

Yikes, i was just thinking of this song and video couple days ago. I used to play this video over and over again on the vcr back in '86. Thank you Achtung_Bebe for bringing this up. In the video, Bono's in the tree or something (for the soaring climactic singing) and it's hard to find a better vocal performance in the '80s...not just from him but from any other singer. What a great song. Does anyone know if Bono co-wrote the lyrics to that one, or was it completely Clannad?

Awesome Judah! I'll have to try to dig up that video somehow... it definately sounds cool. I think I have the answer to your question, thanks to a interview c.d. I have
smile.gif

Bono was asked if this song was written with him in mind, and he said "no it wasn't, actually".. he said that Clannad's record company asked Maire Brennan if she'd like to sing along with (list of names, bono being in that list) and she said she wouldn't mind singing along with Bono. So, from this I gather that the song was already written, and they had the idea to have Bono to sing along later on... I'm glad too because he sounds really great on this one! (but that's expected, ofcourse
smile.gif
)

In the interview Bono also mentioned that the press suspected Bono and Maire were "getting along a little too well" but he said she's almost like a sister to him.. apparently he has been a fan of Clannad for some time.

[This message has been edited by Achtung_Bebe (edited 09-07-2000).]

Love that tune. Love Clannad too. Intresting fact: Bono and Edge co-directed the video.

------------------
"It's the lemon right? Chicks love the lemon." - Bono

Back
Top Bottom