I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoper

Babyface
Uh. Er. I feel like I should know this now, like it was a question back in 7th Grade Science class but *whatever* I'm asking it, now, as a middle aged girl gone happy and I ask you What On God's Green Earth Did this song mean???? Like, was this .... I didn't find the happenen' Jesus that I wanted or was is something else. Not trying to be to confrontational but that is a deeply retrospective song and in the 80's--I'm surprised I didn't see it, but I was off in my own ...world:ohmy:

I think Bono was in a supermarket and wanted Spam, but he could only find Treet. Not wanting the cheapo version of Spam, he went home in a huff and wrote this song. :D

It could also have spiritual meanings I suppose, but it's 4:15 am here now and I like my version better. ;)

I think Bono was in a supermarket and wanted Spam, but he could only find Treet. Not wanting the cheapo version of Spam, he went home in a huff and wrote this song. :D

It could also have spiritual meanings I suppose, but it's 4:15 am here now and I like my version better. ;)

Did he eventually end up with headcheese? :lol:

God, Indra, that word is going to give me nightmares tonight, thanks a lot. :sad: ;)

Uh. Er. I feel like I should know this now, like it was a question back in 7th Grade Science class but *whatever* I'm asking it, now, as a middle aged girl gone happy and I ask you What On God's Green Earth Did this song mean???? Like, was this .... I didn't find the happenen' Jesus that I wanted or was is something else. Not trying to be to confrontational but that is a deeply retrospective song and in the 80's--I'm surprised I didn't see it, but I was off in my own ...world:ohmy:

The lyric is obviously open to interpretation and yours is as good as anyone's. But I do think, in the case of this song, that the tone of the lyric is quite celebratory (i.e., it's not resigned or pleading or frustrated).

At one of the JT concerts, after Bono sings the words, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for," he then says, "I hope I never find it!" I think what he means is that the search for truth (God, life, something deep) is the very essence of life; that while we know we can't ever "find" it or get to that place, we feel powerful joy in awareness of our search. The act of searching is what makes us spiritual people, as opposed to material drones. As Dylan sang, "He not busy being born is busy dying" (which to me means exactly the same thing).

Or, maybe Bono couldn't find the Spam at the grocery store....

Oh man, for me it's one of the clearest songs U2 have ever done. I've never thought anyone would ask themselves what this song means. :huh:

Did he eventually end up with headcheese? :lol:

God, Indra, that word is going to give me nightmares tonight, thanks a lot. :sad: ;)

At least you're an adult. Just imagine what seeing that in the deli case when I was five or six years old did to me. :yikes: It was a major scarring event in my life.

Shit, where'd I put my wallet ...?

Oh god, and my keys.

And his 20404032 phones, one for each day he lost one...

Nah, joking aside. I think it's indeed a very open interpretation, because it aims at the fact that life is a big search. But what you're searching is different for anyone, and even if you find what you were searching for, it may not be what you were looking for.

At least you're an adult. Just imagine what seeing that in the deli case when I was five or six years old did to me. :yikes: It was a major scarring event in my life.

I think my parents used to buy it when I was little. Maybe it was just my dad who ate it, I really can't remember. It came sliced, like in deli meats? And you could also buy it in a little tub? :shudder: They weren't well off, but they weren't poor, either, it's not like they had to eat it.

Ewww. :sad: Why do i keep coming back to discuss this?

I had to look that up. Oh man, why do I keep doing this to myself? :sad: Before this, I only knew the word from the Stevie Ray Vaughn song. Can I go back to that blissful ignorance? Please?

you know what word gives me nightmares... SCRAPPLE...

and that is all I am gonna say on that matter.. /kthxbai

Freaky food -- the stuff childhood nightmares are made of! :lol:

I think my parents used to buy it when I was little. Maybe it was just my dad who ate it, I really can't remember. It came sliced, like in deli meats? And you could also buy it in a little tub? :shudder: They weren't well off, but they weren't poor, either, it's not like they had to eat it.

Ewww. :sad: Why do i keep coming back to discuss this?

Yeah, it came in a big roll/loaf and was sliced at the deli. Luckily, no one in my immediate family actually ate it, just seeing it was enough for me.

We did have a bottle of toilet water in the bathroom cabinet that also freaked me out though. I was digging around one day and found it. I looked at it in absolute horror -- I mean the liquid was even pale yellow -- and wondered what in the world my parents had that for. Then I decided I didn't want to know, so I stuck it waaaaay back in a corner and never dug around in that cabinet again. :lol:

How about chitterlings, AKA chitlins? Yeee-uckkkk!

Agreed!! :yuck: :yikes:

We did have a bottle of toilet water in the bathroom cabinet that also freaked me out though. I was digging around one day and found it. I looked at it in absolute horror -- I mean the liquid was even pale yellow -- and wondered what in the world my parents had that for. Then I decided I didn't want to know, so I stuck it waaaaay back in a corner and never dug around in that cabinet again. :lol:

Like...literal water from the toilet?? :yikes: Did you ever find out why?

Families are so quirky and strange. :lol:

When I was very young, we moved into a house where the previous occupant's husband had passed away in my mom and dad's bedroom. Fairly typical of houses, especially older ones, but I was young and it freaked me out. The worst part though (and your water in a bottle reminded me of this) is that the woman had left a bottle of holy water in the bedroom. Growing up as a heathen :wink: I had no idea wtf this was, or what it meant, I just knew that it was religious and important and the spirit of Christ or some such, and it freaked me the hell out. I have a feeling it freaked my mom out too, because for many, many years, she just left it there. :lol: In fact, it may have still been there a few years ago when she moved out.

Could this thread be any more off topic? [/chandler]

eta - I just realized that you meant toilet water, as in perfume. :der:

Back
Top Bottom