I **knew** It!!! "i Am"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
i posted something about All Because of You about who Bono could be referring to when he sings the lyric

All because of you..
I am

and I mentioned..

what if Bono meant..."I AM"

and the signficance of that is??

YHVH....the tettragrammaton....God's name...it is "I AM"

Yahweh

for today's lesson, turn to page 3 of the Deluxe Edition...first page of handwritten notes..

Come back and discuss..

:yes:

PS Barb I love you!!!

Yeah, the first time I heard those lyrics, I thought of how Bono was trying to explain how Neil Diamond was a great lyricist in Bill Flanagan's book.

As usual, Bono's lyrics are open to many interpretations.

One interpretation is, of course, God. If one believes in a higher power of some sort, then clearly it is this higher power that created us - hence we exist because that being.

But other interpretations are one's mother (or parents), or even a significant other.

Alternatively, perhaps it is God speaking to us. If we flip the lyrics a bit, it's all because of us, He is. God exists on faith, our faith.

So interpret how you wish. ;)

I agree with doctorwho. :up:

Bono's lyrics are so multilayered that they can mean many things to many people at many times. That's the beauty and the timelessness in them. THEY WILL LIVE FOREVER.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Let's be more grateful. :hug:

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Knowing that Bono does believe in God; and more specifically Yahweh, the God of the Bible, this is clearly about that particular deity.

You can interpret it however you want, but always take into account the intentions of the artist if you really want to understand the piece.

I love U2 for their strong Christian faith. Even though Clayton is the only non-Christian, he still is submissive to his bandmates and still plays Christian music with U2.

U2 are a gospel band. They have written great hymns like 40, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Wake Up Dead Man, Grace, Yahweh and even All Because Of You as you guys have mentioned.

And some songs, while not exactly hymns to God have great Bible references like One, Crumbs From You Table, Mysterious Ways, Until The End Of The World, and Vertigo.

U2 take great influence for CS Lewis - a former atheist who turned into a believe. Bono also drew a lot from Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" book.

What separates U2 from other bands is their deeply rooted Christian faith. And it is through this that God has showered upon them and multiplied their talents, because U2 has harnessed it to do good. 25 years as a band and they are still not washed up? That's what you call divine intervention.

That is very similar to the parable of the talents in the New Testament. U2 are the ones who untilized their talents well in the name of love, hence, they are given a hundredfold return. They have even utilized their talents beyond music and to humanitarian cause that reek of Christian beliefs (helping Africa, etc.).

So while some people think that Bono is overly cocky in saying that God walks in the room when they record, he is not. It's just that U2 are always on the lookout for God and will embrace Him when He's around, unlike other bands who don't notice God walk in the room at all.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
I love U2 for their strong Christian faith. Even though Clayton is the only non-Christian, he still is submissive to his bandmates and still plays Christian music with U2.

U2 are a gospel band. They have written great hymns like 40, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Wake Up Dead Man, Grace, Yahweh and even All Because Of You as you guys have mentioned.

And some songs, while not exactly hymns to God have great Bible references like One, Crumbs From You Table, Mysterious Ways, Until The End Of The World, and Vertigo.

U2 take great influence for CS Lewis - a former atheist who turned into a believe. Bono also drew a lot from Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?" book.

What separates U2 from other bands is their deeply rooted Christian faith. And it is through this that God has showered upon them and multiplied their talents, because U2 has harnessed it to do good. 25 years as a band and they are still not washed up? That's what you call divine intervention.

That is very similar to the parable of the talents in the New Testament. U2 are the ones who untilized their talents well in the name of love, hence, they are given a hundredfold return. They have even utilized their talents beyond music and to humanitarian cause that reek of Christian beliefs (helping Africa, etc.).

So while some people think that Bono is overly cocky in saying that God walks in the room when they record, he is not. It's just that U2 are always on the lookout for God and will embrace Him when He's around, unlike other bands who don't notice God walk in the room at all.

Cheers,

J

Well said Jick

Did Adam make that connection too?

Concerning "All because of You" he says, "It could be about God, it could be about your father or friends. Or the audience." He didn't write the song so he can't say exactly who the 'you' is, but he mentioned God first.

--------------------

Jick, now you're just being childish and mean, putting red horns on Adam's pic.

You are aware that that image of devils, comes not from the Bible, but from the concept of "mock the devil and he will flee from thee." Either way, kinda mean, and un-Christian thing to do.

Jesus would show compassion for unbelievers.

You realise your whole case against Adam goes out the window if he is a Christian, as Bono says he is. The past is forgiven and forgotten by God, shouldn't you do the same?

Adam did once say, "you can go to places and you could be the first person walking there since the Creation or whatever."

Ok, maybe the "whatever" part bothers you, but I found it kinda funny, that phrase, coming from someone, named Adam.

-----------

But I would agree with the divine intervention. However, U2 didn't write 40, they covered that one. Another David wrote that one.

macphisto23 said:

Well said Jick

yes indeed very well said, jick. amen to that.
as i said in my previous post (somewhere now i cant remember),
this bono man brought me back to the good ol' back.
imagine a rock star doing that for me!! in the end U2 songs
will be talked about for years to come in different fora because of the soul they put into their lyrics. no one band or single individual artist has ever done that, reaching out to the otherwise doubting thomases in this manner.

desire25 said:

yes indeed very well said, jick. amen to that.
as i said in my previous post (somewhere now i cant remember),
this bono man brought me back to the good ol' back.

sorry ! i meant good ol' book.

Again, well said, Jick.

The problem with saying that Bono's lyrics are open to some kind of secularized interpretation is disrespectful of the artist. Someone here may not particularly LIKE that Bono is a self-professed Christian, but they shouldn't act like his art has nothing to do with who he is. U2 is continuing the great tradition of christian artists like Bach, Michaelangelo, Handel, Dante, Milton, Tolkien and Lewis. Putting the art first without diluting the inspiration.

OK I have listened to that song a zillion times and looked at all the lyrics and I can't find....
"PS Barb, I love you" anywhere!!!!!

I latched onto this a while back as well... I love Bono.

And Jick, this is a Gospel album. ;)

Do you visit u2sermons.blogspot.com? They have an interesting interpretation of the book which compares it to a Pauline epistle as it "dismantles death" and urges us to action.

Back
Top Bottom