"I could never take a chance..." Is he talking about cheating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just heard that line and I'm going thruogh a similar thing, so it just hit me.

I could never take a chance
of losing love to find romance

He's saying he doesn't want to risk what's been built for years only for the small adventure.

...or I could be completely wrong.

(ahh beli, me and you again huh?)

Oh my, I wonder what Ali think of these lines. One one hand upset that he's even tempted and on the other perhaps flattered because he won't give in.

LOL I think its a time zone thing.

I think the song should be taken as a compliment. Most people are tempted but as long as it remains purely in the head, and not acted upon, then theres no harm done.

that was my interpretation as well. leave it to Bono to sum up a complex moral dilema into one sentence.:up:

BrownEyedBoy said:
(ahh beli, me and you again huh?)

Oh my, I wonder what Ali think of these lines. One one hand upset that he's even tempted and on the other perhaps flattered because he won't give in.

I agree with your interpretation... that's pretty much how I saw it.

Also agree with what Beli said about this being a compliment - I don't think there are many human beings on this planet who aren't vaguely tempted from time to time, even if only for a minute. You can't change the fact that you might find other people attractive, it's human nature - pretending otherwise is just blind, in my opinion. It's a case of what you do or don't do about it. As you said, trust Bono to sum it all up succinctly :hug:

BrownEyedBoy said:
I just heard that line and I'm going thruogh a similar thing, so it just hit me.

I could never take a chance
of losing love to find romance

He's saying he doesn't want to risk what's been built for years only for the small adventure.

...or I could be completely wrong.

:yes: I think so too, he's referring to their marriage.

It's like "yes I'm famous and I meet lots of women and I may be tempted, but I care about what we have too much to ruin it".

That's how I interpret this song, too.

I also think that with this song, he's addressing all those rumors that he cheats on Ali, and he wants to put an end to them, by summing up his reasons why he wouldn't with that one line.

When you're in the safe confines of a stable relationship, you will often come to a point where the grass may look greener on the other side. The temptation is there to seek this new romance. It's not necessarily cheating, but actually thinking you could do better.

So, I've expanded the overall interpretation of those lines to include this situation also - actually jumping ship. It's a great line and have used it as counsel for a few friends fitting this situation.

As far as the idea that he doesn't have romance with Ali...I would say he has plenty. They are often seen holding hands, hugging or kissing. But the truth of most marriages is that the sparkly, breathstopping "romance" is something that occurs at the beginning not during the later stages. If you're smart you realize that you can find that kind of romance with another person, but eventually it will wear off again, and you may not have the compatibility (love) that you have right now.

absolutely yes!

he is talking about being tempted....and not just for a minute

BUT he is implying that romance is not possible over the long term within a commitment....which is a great mistake

it's not one or the other....

you CAN have both love AND romance over the long term....surely?

TAURUS hates change and upheaval ...so will hold fast to what they know and have in order to maintain the status quo that is so important to their equilibrium....

There is no way Taurus would risk what they have for JUST a fling

There would have to be more on offer, than what they already possess ......

and yes that IS possible ...absolutely!!!

Last edited:
Oh I have been married for 22 years and I am totally obsessed with my hubby now more than I ever was.. never been tempted by anyone else .. actually I still stalk him around the house.. maybe I am just mad ....

we kiss cuddle hold hands, laugh a lot always send each other those little private c'mon looks even when sitting in the living room across from each other we tell each other we love each other at least every other hour

maybe we are just both mad it must be harder for ali and Bono though with him being in the public eye and women throwing themselves at him.. lucky we don't have that problem:)

Back
Top Bottom