"i can't change the world, but i can change the world in me"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
ahhh, the classic line.

but has anyone else noticed that lately bono's been quoting it in different contexts? for one interview he'll quote it saying music CAN'T change the world, but it can change your head (way of thinking), then in other situations he'll change the quote to support that music CAN change the world.

any other thoughts about the meaning of this lyric

marik said:
ahhh, the classic line.

but has anyone else noticed that lately bono's been quoting it in different contexts? for one interview he'll quote it saying music CAN'T change the world, but it can change your head (way of thinking), then in other situations he'll change the quote to support that music CAN change the world.

any other thoughts about the meaning of this lyric

I think he's saying basically the same thing with the can/can't quotes. And they are intertwined if you look at them: when he says that music can't change the world, but it can change your head, I think he's talking about empowerment. It's this creation of awareness, by deduction, that has the potential to change the world.

I found the following quote from Bono that underscores this a bit better:

"When you sing, you make people vulnerable to change in their lives. You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world."

:rockon: :bono:

we're like small drops in an enormous sea...
but the sea is made of little drops!

maybe one person can't do the difference. but if he is of inspiration for hundreds, thousands of people, so maybe we can move the world towards the changes we want to see.

And I think Bono is GREAT at this!

the soul waits said:
If I'm not mistaken, the quote "you've got to become the change you want to see in the world" is Ghandi's.

I think you're right....it's Bono quoting...he's great at throwing around the best ideas of people who came before him. I like how he does this with music refereces as well...he opens the door and makes the history of it all a little less dry.

Aside from being a smart-ass, he's just plain smart and wordly.

16.jpg

the soul waits said:
If I'm not mistaken, the quote "you've got to become the change you want to see in the world" is Ghandi's.

Hi all,

Actually this idea is quite not from Gandhi. This is a main point from Hinduism and Buddhism. If one wants to change the world one must change himself first.

This idea has always been thought in India and in Bouddhist countries from centuries.

A big idea carried by a great band ;)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom