HELP! What is "Nero"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L03VIk

War Child
In "Mercy", the lyrics says:

We're binary code, a one and a zero
You wanted violins and you got Nero

What is "Nero"? What does that sentence mean? I'm norwegian, so my english isn't perfect;-)

Interesting question. Nero could mean a number of things....it's a Roman emperor whose life was full of strife and drama; it's software; it's a digital recording program that enhances sound; the letters N.E.R.O. stand for a number of global organizations dealing with rockets, research etc.

From the lyrics in the song I'd think Bono is referring in the line to "you wanted violins" as in a simple lovely violin sound, something soft and romantic but instead got "nero" or something much larger, more emphatic and pulsating, dramatic, a greater sound than originally hoped for with "violins".

Does that make sense?

That's a very clever lyric. That song deserves to be on an album for that lyric alone.

Speaking of Mercy, where was it going to be in the running order of the album?

pattip2000 said:
Towards the middle in the tracklist suggested in the HTDAAB Book, but that tracklist isn't like the actual one chosen for the album, even without Mercy.

TheQuiet1 said:
Wasn't Nero the Roman emperor who allegedly played the fiddle (violin) whilst Rome burned?

Yes - though don't take it literally. the violin hadn't been invented then.

fantastic lyric.

Ellay said:

fantastic lyric.

:yes:
The violin was invented years later..
Nero was playing a thing called "lira"

Ellay said:

fantastic lyric.

yeah I was gonna mention that the legend about him playing the violin as cities burned does run into that little problem. :wink:

it's a good line though and I hope Bono's lyric-writing will be more along those lines for the next album. :madwife:

Thanks a lot for the answers! Now I finally understands the whole of Mercy;-)

One of my top10 U2 songs at the moment! I really hope they polishes it and that it makes the next album, like Original Of The Species from the ATYCLB-sessions became a HTAAB-song!

Well I got a theory here:
Yes, Nero is a cd software to burn Cds...
(that's why they used the name of the Roman Epereor who burned the city)
and the lyrics i think that are referred to masterized music:
"you wanted violins (the original, live music)
and you got Nero" (a copy, faraway from reality)
I don't know if I'd been clear enough
but I think we're dealing with the "even better than the real thing" topics...
And yes, the song is pure magic

Ciao, Tom

pattip2000 said:
it was, but they had a meeting, and they decided to take it off. this is an excerpt from the Sunday Herald.

"The problem, if it can be called that, lies in the album’s running order. After numerous attempts, U2 have yet to find a satisfactory flow, leading them to believe that there may be too many songs. So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrificed.

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, “too much of a good thing is a bad thing,” so drastic measures need to be taken.

“I have a theory,” Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer – traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations – states his case. After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track Mercy, a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish, must go.

Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints “the best B-side you’ve ever heard.”

the whole article here: http://www.sundayherald.com/print45944
hahahh it was Larry's idea.
i actualyl wished it stayed on, though. it's brilliant. but, you never know, it might fit even better with the new album ;]

btw, thanks for clearing that lyric up. I always thought it was "you wanted VIOLENCE, but you got Nero."
ha.

tuwie said:

btw, thanks for clearing that lyric up. I always thought it was "you wanted VIOLENCE, but you got Nero."
ha.

:shifty: I might have heard violence also :reject:

Back
Top Bottom