Heartland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
I?ve been wondering for quite some time now if U2 ever played Heartland live & I just found this is U2faq.com.

Isn?t this a pitty that this beautiful song was never performed live. For me it?s one of the highlights of R&H.

5.4 Has U2 ever performed ________ live?
U2 has played most of their officially released album tracks in concert at one point or another in their career. The following is a list of songs, organized by album, that have never been played during a live performance.

BOY: all have been played
OCTOBER: Stranger In a Strange Land, Is That All?
WAR: Drowning Man, The Refugee, Red Light
THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: Promenade, 4th of July, Elvis Presley & America
WIDE AWAKE IN AMERICA: The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling
THE JOSHUA TREE: Red Hill Mining Town
RATTLE & HUM: Heartland
ACHTUNG BABY: Acrobat
ZOOROPA: Some Days Are Better Than Others, The Wanderer
POP: The Playboy Mansion, Wake Up Dead Man (snippets of both were sung, but the entire songs were not performed)
BEST OF 1980-1990: all have been played

Hi there AM. I'm no expert on matters like this, but to my knowledge Heartland has not been played live, even on the Lovetown tour. I definitely agree with you on it being a highlight of Rattle & Hum, it is one of those great understated U2 songs that drifts in from somewhere and then drifts away again. It stands out for me on that album, since its lyrics are more reminiscent of The Joshua Tree's. On the R+H video, its accompanying film footage is very sombre and evocative of natural beauty, and there are many subtle and delicate details in the song that possibly wouldn't work live.

It was probably one of those songs that couldn't be reproduced as well live as the original. The same is true IMHO about Drowning Man and Promenade - two of my favourites that are maybe just best left as album gems.

Sorry i couldn't be more help to you.
smile.gif

I too agree that Heartland is one of the highlights of R&H. Another one that I love is Acrobat. Most U2 fans I know love this song. I would love to hear it live!!
smile.gif

Heartland is an all time favourite. It and AIWIY are my faves on that album. Some of Bono's best lyrics ever, for sure. I can see though that it probably wouldn't work amazingly well in concert.

What about Under a blood Red Sky. Have they played all of them live?

biggrin.gif

I actually agree - Heartland, Drowning Man and Acrobat are my favourites from those three albums. Lets hope they have a change of heart one day...

Yeah, DPG, ACrobat was performed at soundchecks.The band apaprently used it as a warm up. I have it too.
Unfortunately, they have never performed it in concert.
frown.gif
My fave song

AM, Im not sure if it was performed at a concert, but I have Stranger in a Strange Land live which was downloaded from napster.

Back
Top Bottom