Has an interpretation ever change your view of a song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
So have you ever listened to a U2 song, didn't think much of it or even disliked it until one day you interpreted the lyric different and now it takes on a whole different feel?
For example I hated Babyface the first few listens. Absolutely hated it, I thought it was a throw away pop song about sex. But then after a few more listens I realized it's about a man obsessing and having control over his sex objects by the use of the VCR, Computer, Etc. So now it takes on this dark seady feel that I can really sink my teeth into. Plus with the little jewelery box chimes in the background it makes for a really dark eerie tune that's pretty clever and somewhat rare for U2.
So are there any others out there?

This actually happened with a song I love. There was a discussion of "UltraViolet" on another U2 board I visit and someone commented that they see it as a conversation between the devil and God. I'd always thought of it as a pretty straightforward love song, but this guy's take on "UltraViolet" really got me. All the imagery of light and dark, the pleading and all, it seems like maybe it could be about the sadness the devil would feel about being separated from God.
I still favor the love song take, but this interpretation really added a whole new dimension to "UltraViolet."

Actually, yes. I always thought of "The First Time" as a love song, as the logical sequel to "All I Want Is You" (they're very musically similar, as many of you no doubt have noticed). But someone--I forget who, sorry--posted a really strong, thoughtful explication of the whole song as almost an anti-love song that ends with a rejection of God. I don't know that I totally agree with it, but it definitely changed my perspective.

UTEOTW....I used to hear it as a struggling relationship between two lovers....

Then I heard not too long ago that it was about Judas betraying Jesus.....

I was never raised in a religous household so I never even knew the story until I think I read it here.

At first I was kinda bothered by it. I know it sounds strange to say, but I felt like the song was ruined for me, because it was nothing like what I originally intrepreted it. However, eventually I realized that I don't necessarily have to agree with Bono's/the band's meaning, just my own.

I try not to read "official intrepretations," because it is seeing how a magician does his tricks and spoils it. I prefer to get my own meaning from the song.

Bono was stupid for "explaining" that song or any others, once you put a fixed meaning on it, then the ambiguity is tossed out, and what a shame to ruin a song that could be about 2 or 3 different things all at once

The Wanderer said:
Bono was stupid for "explaining" that song or any others, once you put a fixed meaning on it, then the ambiguity is tossed out, and what a shame to ruin a song that could be about 2 or 3 different things all at once

I don't think an artist explaining where they're coming from in a song ruins it, sometimes it can make things more clear for the listener. I bought the "Into the Heart" book and enjoy reading the stories behind the songs and all that but that doesn't set my opinions or my interpretations in stone. Everyone has their own take on things, their own opinions and life experiences that shape how they view the world so even if we all had something explained to us, we still wouldn't see or feel it exactly the same way. Just because Bono said that a song was about one thing doesn't mean that that's what I think it's about, and I'm sure fans have come up to Bono, shared their views on a song and surprised him with all the possible layers that exist within his work.

UTEOTW

I used to think it was just about a relationship between lovers like daisybean did. I used to like the song, but it wasn't one of my favourites. Then when I heard it was written from the point of view of Judas my opinion of it totally changed. I'd never considered that that was what it was about before, but when I listened to it again I could see how all the lyrics fit the story, and I thought it was such an interesting idea for a song. It's now one of my 3 favourite U2 songs ever! :heart:

Twilight, off BOY never really got much of my attention, I liked to listen to it but not in much depth. Then I read that it was about an old man trying something unsavoury on with a kid in a back alley, or something like that. Now I find it quite hard to listen to, because in that context the song paints quite a vivid, and unpleasant picture!

"the old man tried to walk me home,
I thought he should have known..."

KITE was one for me...I remember reading a review of ATYCLB *before* hearing the song itself that mentioned it was about "a young couple having problems." And so I always saw it that way.

Then, I read an interview when Bono said that it was about him and his kids. And when I listened to it again, it totally changed the song for me.

I *can* see it both ways, but it was interesting...obviously, the whole ending about "the last of the rock stars" makes *alot* more sense being from Bono's perspective! I really wish I could remember what reviewer it was, they sounded so authoritative!

I wish I could remember some others. I know they exist. But like others on this thread, now I kind of avoid reading the "official" intepretations of songs (all songs, not just U2) for fear I'll be disappointed or it will alter the song for me. Sometimes when I can't pin down any kind of meaning, I will, but if it's a song I feel very strongly about, I try to avoid it...and then sometimes I just can't resist!

Elisabeth

kiwilad said:
Twilight, off BOY never really got much of my attention, I liked to listen to it but not in much depth. Then I read that it was about an old man trying something unsavoury on with a kid in a back alley, or something like that. Now I find it quite hard to listen to, because in that context the song paints quite a vivid, and unpleasant picture!

"the old man tried to walk me home,
I thought he should have known..."
:ohmy: I never knew that.....

And Wild Horses for me. At first I didn't like the song cos I thought it is just a...well a normal love song without real background, but when I read that it is said that the song was written about one of the members of U2 and a relationship with a fan I saw Wild Horses with completely new eyes. I still do. The song sounds much more desperate and......beautiful with this interpretation.

"The hunter will sin for your ivory skin, took drive in the dirty rain to a place where the wind calls your name; under the trees the river's laughing at you and me!"

In this perspective the 'hunter' are 'reporters' or 'photographers' who can't stop disturbing the band member's private life. And the 'dirty rain' is sort of a small chance to get to his hidden affaire.....

Since I read about that way of seeing the song, I get very sad when listening to it..... :(

Back
Top Bottom