God Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
but the truth is not the same
without the lies he made up...

--Bono, "God Part II"

Question to ponder: I've recently begun to wonder if "God Part II" is not the song that serves as the logical lyrical bridge between The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Bono has remarked that he thinks that Achtung Baby is "the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree." If you examine the lyrics of "God Part II," I think they find Bono at an interesting quandary between the earnest, well-meaning social crusader figure of the late '80s (reborn fully, of course, in 2000 I would think) and "The Fly" that was about to come in '92.

Look at some more of these words:

don't believe in excess
success is to give
don't believe in riches,
but you should see where I live...

don't believe in forced entry
don't believe in rape
but every time she passes by
wild thoughts escape...

Your thoughts on this?

Wow, that's heavy.

I see where you're coming from...it could be the beginning of the AB era by some of the lyrics.

Those lyrics provide flippant contradictions that seem to mean so very little when they actually weigh a ton. The same type of lyrics prevailed in AB.

I would be interested in seeing some deeper analysis of the first lines (about the devil). I find this odd because Bono does believe in the devil (look at MacPhisto). The other lyrics you posted make sense, but interpretations of the devil one escape me.

I always took the song at face value, a response/continuation of God by John Lennon...It's structed much the same way lyrically.
Many of the lines in God II are just bits about Lennon, and could be attributed as other things as well, but I've always taken them as refering to Lennon and Goldman-

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up
- Goldman

Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant karma's going to get him
If I don't get him first
Obviously Goldman

Don't believe in rock 'n' roll
Can really change the world
As it spins in revolution
It spirals and turns
I...I believe in love
Lennon

Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
til it bleeds daylight
I...I believe in love
Lennon again

I feel like I'm falling
Like I'm spinning on a wheel
It always stops beside of me
With a presence I can feel
referencing Lennon

God by John Lennon

God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

I think God Part II is a bridge between 80's U2 and 90's U2 because of its sound. God Part II has a unique sound compared to the rest of the songs on Rattle & Hum. Its in the guitar and the drums. Compare it to Desire or All I Want is You. Its got a differnt edge to it. The sound could almost fit on Achtung. Only the sound though, no so much the lyric.

I would be interested in seeing some deeper analysis of the first lines (about the devil). I find this odd because Bono does believe in the devil (look at MacPhisto). The other lyrics you posted make sense, but interpretations of the devil one escape me.

He doesn't say he doesn't believe in the devil, he says don't believe the devil. Like don't believe his lies. Of course Bono believes in the devil. You can't have good if you don't have evil. That's what the line "The truth is not the same without the lies he made up" is so important. If it weren't for the opposing side the good or the truth wouldn't mean anything. It would be air, and taken for granted.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He doesn't say he doesn't believe in the devil, he says don't believe the devil.

:ohmy: Oh my, I totally read that wrong. :reject:

:rolleyes:
It makes such perfect sense when you take that one little word "in" out! Now I totally understand. I was like, "wha? Bono believes in the devil!"

Thanks for clarifying.

Stupid me! :p

:heart: ya abby!

The lines "Don't believe the devil, don't believe his book, but the truth is not the same without the lies he made up." Actually bring to mind Eastern Philosophy. There, the yin cannot exist without the yang. The good is only good because it is not the bad. And that is the only way we can ever see it.

Hard to explain well, but a really interesting concept to learn about.

Actually, I believe the lines at the end of the song go "Feel like I'm falling/spinning on a wheel/it all stops beside a name/ a presence I can feel" Sorta sounds to me like he is referring to Jesus or God in this line. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom